Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Trash Picked Cameo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James426, Mar 25, 2018.

1. James426

James426

So a friend of a friend of a friend calls me today and says hey, there is a guy throwing out an old truck body down the street from me.... Sends me a photo (see below). Guy got evicted and this cab was apparently in his living room! So, I run over and look and sure enough, a fairly solid 55-57 big back window cab! I'm not sure exactly how this works... there is a vin on it, a VERY early vin "10019" but it IS thrown in the trash. So I'm wondering what are the legalities here..... Then the scrap metal guy pulls up with his trailer and I had to take some action. The cab was on a dolly but only two wheels were on it so I got a guy to help me pull it over to his house across the street for $20. At least it was safe from the scrap guy..... and then I looked beside the garage!!!

IMG_1404.jpg

2. James426

James426

Beside the garage was the full frame all sandblasted and painted nice with a late model 12 bolt rear axle, front disc brakes, 5x4.75 bolt pattern hubs, a completely rebuilt 383 stroker that was brand new inside with tape still over the carb, headers, trans all installed....... AND A CAMEO BED!! The friggin thing was a CAMEO! The thing had been covered by a water proof tarp and was in pretty good shape. Now, I needed the WHOLE truck, not just the cab.

I could not tell what was there in the house or the garage so I started asking neighbors who the owner was. After about an hour of asking and calling this guy and that guy, I finally got a hold of the owner. The truck had been in his family since 1975 and was his dad's. He planned on restoring it, but this was as far as he got and all worked stopped about 7 years ago. He also said he had the title, registration and even the original owner's manual, the receipt where his dad bought it for $600 back in 1975 and everything. So I ask, how much for me to get it out of here right now before there is nothing left of it. $1,500.

He said most of the parts were in the shed, but someone had stolen the doors from the curb earlier that morning and he did not have a hood for it. I said I'd take it for $1,500, ran over and got the title and went back and looked through the garage for what was there. Fortunately it looks like ALL the rare Cameo stuff was still there and accounted for. All of the chrome, trim, special rear bumpers, brackets, two tailgates, latches, two tailgate emblems, fenders, two of the hidden spare tire compartments, all of the taillights, latches, dash parts, just about everything! Good thing too because original Cameo parts are EXPENSIVE to replace. Like he said, the only thing missing was the hood and now both doors, but the regulators and door trim were all in the garage. So here we have the "Trash Picked Cameo" now saved and safe at my shop!

IMG_1410.jpg IMG_1411.jpg

3. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! That is an unbelievable find! You did really well James!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Great score!
    Timing is everything.
    Run a wanted ad for doors, the guy who grabbed them might just answer your ad.

scotty t, osage orange, pat59 and 3 others like this.

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

6. RockinRivi

RockinRivi

Great story!! Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. exterminator

exterminator

Wow- good job!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Great score! That kind of thing never happens to me.:(

RockinRivi and hotrodharry2 like this.
  9. A once-in-a-lifetime deal! Congrats!

RockinRivi likes this.
  10. What flowmeister said. Priority #1 is get the doors reunited with all the other stuff before they hit the scrapper. Great weekend for you.

RockinRivi and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Unbelievable, who throws away a perfectly good Cameo? I can see if it was just a TaskForce, but....:eek::D
    Dude, play the lottery, soon & often, while that horseshoe is still up yur...pooper.
    Dunno where your at, but I'd RUN to the local scrapyard(s) and offer good cash money for any of the missing parts that show up in the future, + lunch!

12. Unreal score!
    Sucks for the evicted guy. Often there's a good reason people have problems. Sometimes self inflicted.
    Who doesn't love a Cameo? Style, easy to see out of. Looking forward to this build!

13. catdad49

catdad49

You are truly blessed and the money helped the owner! Did you have to take the dryer?! Post some more pics when you get a chance.

RockinRivi and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. BJR

BJR

Like was said, run a craigslist ad and go to the local scrap yards, some even let you put up wanted ads, all looking for the missing hood and doors. Offer a reward, so someone who knows where they went may tell you, so they can collect some cash. What a great find. Better buy your friend who told you about it some beer, and not the cheap stuff either!

RockinRivi and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Slopok

Slopok

Now that's what I call recycling, lucky you!:cool:

16. James NICE find! Bruce.

17. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

18. wicarnut

wicarnut

Congrats ! Now go buy a lottery ticket, you're on a roll.

19. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Love the "I saved it stories"! Thanks

20. brad2v

brad2v

Wow, nice save.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. philo426

philo426

Good thing you took acton so quickly.By all means try to get the original doors if possible.

41 coupe likes this.
  22. Right place right time !

OahuEli likes this.
  23. pumpman

pumpman

24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yes! A "Reward" with the name of the street they were picked up from and a picture of what the doors look like.

Printed pictures of the doors with your contact info to all the local scrap yards. It may be awhile before they are taken to the scrap yard. Most scrappers have a huge trailer in their yard where they stack their pickup loads and then periodically tow the trailer to the scrap yard once it's full.

What a great save. And to think some scavenger scrapper would have thought nothing of scrapping that cab for $20 worth of scrap weight!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Now that is what I would call a steal of a deal! The damn engine is worth what you paid for the whole deal!

26. gonzo

gonzo

Agreed, I'd check the local scrap yard for the doors, you may get lucky. Great score!

27. James426

James426

Where I live there re literally dozens of scrap yard to drop steel off at. :( I am going to be watching craigslist though.

I saw a complete rear bumper and hidden spare tire compartment sell for more than what I paid for the whole truck! And it came with TWO hidden spare compartments. :) I do feel lucky. Especially being able to track the owner down and get an actual title.

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow, what a story. So awesome. Congrats!!

29. Duke

Duke

The doors on those trucks are slightly different in the way they fit, don’t know if it was different factories or a years thing. Yes the non original doors fit, just not as well. Restored a truck 30 years ago and replaced the original door with a nice replacement- does not fit right.
    Nice find!

30. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Had a similar experience but you score was much better. The 57 I brought back had been hacked on by everyone that had owned a torch, welder, or twisted two wires together. Had a 440 Chrysler engine that the right side exhaust run through where the passengers feet would normally be and the center of the dash chiseled out so the center of a Ford dash (with a modern radio) could be pop riveted back in, etc. etc. Bed was cracked and broken but like yours had all the (very pitted) Cameo specific parts. Took a good amount of time and even more money to do but unlike most projects it actually brought back what was spent when sold several years later cause people really LIKE Cameos

1933_willys_77 and etboy97 like this.