Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Trammel Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 6, 2022.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

This was Navarro's car, which was very nice.
    022-navarro-1927-ford-model-t-roadster-navarro-in-car-alt.jpg

Jet96, tractorguy, Special Ed and 5 others like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is Barney still with us?...and yes the Roadster looks real sharp...

3. Gofannon

Gofannon

This is Navarro's before the track nose and cut back cowl. Trammel's was a coupster.
    upload_2022-9-7_19-59-5.jpeg

upload_2022-9-7_20-3-55.jpeg

Jet96, tractorguy, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  4. Gofannon

Gofannon

I think you should take another look and repost them.

Stogy likes this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are not of the Trammel so are they really relevant...certainly connected by people involved and perhaps the Shop...

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

240 is the number on the earlier pictures of the Trammel car. It's unlikely that Navarro would be running the same number on his own car. 31, however, does appear to be Navarro's number and car.
    Barney died in 2007.

7. Gofannon

Gofannon

I think they were Trammel's. Coupster body, longer wheelbase than Navarro's, 32 shell with that weird bumper thing.

8. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Blew up the Flattie huh.....
    Tear down with Keith coming ?

Sancho and Stogy like this.
  9. Gofannon

Gofannon

Numbers don't mean much. Navarro with 6A and 16A.

upload_2022-9-7_20-50-11.jpeg

upload_2022-9-7_20-50-40.jpeg

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Low_T.JPG

T_roadster_blown.JPG
    ...Back Up...;)

I applaud the history being revered as it always is here...I still learn things and try my best to take it all in but there's so much to know...I know you are pretty up on T's there Gofannon...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  11. Gofannon

Gofannon

Well @Stogy maybe it's not Trammel's. Bottom pic is definitely Navarro. Maybe someone can ID the other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AHotRod and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...yes I see the body is straight out at the turtle deck wheelwell area...and both T's I shared have a narrower Turtle deck and transition...

Gofannon likes this.
  13. banjorear

banjorear

Unfortunately not. Barney passed a number of years ago.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Maybe I missed it but is the Trammel car still around? I love that we still see the Navarro roadster out being raced with the track nose and the 32 grill.

Stogy likes this.
  15. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

the 9b is Tom Beaty's

Stogy and Gofannon like this.
  16. AmishMike

AmishMike

Not sure which roadster is which but all great. See different engine/blower location & cowl steering. Barney’s restored is great. Old mag article says homemade oxygen spray. Never heard that before. “Strange”bumper looks like frame wrap around frame to frame like many old dirt sprinters

Stogy likes this.
  17. Karl Wescott

Karl Wescott

I disagree with the assessment of the -C car as a "coupster". It has all of the roadster lines of the doors, cockpit, trunk lid, and rear deck. I looks to me like the turtle deck was welded to the body and the body and turtle deck panels smoothed to lose the separation line. (A nice difficult job).

KKrod likes this.
  18. AHotRod

AHotRod

So sorry to hear of the engine failure, I trust you have another in the shop corner.

I also agree with this 100% - Just avoid car shows like the plague... and drive the shit out of your cars.
    Glenn

Stogy likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20170921_183203 (1).jpg

:rolleyes:...Guys you have to show up...it's a form of spreading the gospel...see look at those young guys...:D

Get some drivin' in before ya go...:)

@AHotRod, a belated Happy Birthday...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    Jet96, Nobey, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  20. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Another book is Proof Through the Night. B29 pilot and copilot were in the same prisons as Louis Zamperini.
    The copilot after the war built a 33 pickup in the early fifties. He drove it for several years and it passed thru a couple of owners. One of my Hobby members purchased the truck and I helped him rebuild it to the early specs. He had found an old insurance slip with the copilots name on it and after some research got the history of the truck from the Grandson. IMG_20200809_123022370.jpg

Jet96, Stogy, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  21. junkman8888

junkman8888

To me it looks like the Trammel car is made from a Model T roadster cowl and doors but Model T coupe quarters.

Stogy and Gofannon like this.
  22. Nobey

Nobey

I used to go to car shows with my roadster. Invariably some guy would walk up and say, flatheads
    are not very fast. You just say, they're faster than a Fat Man in a lawn chair.

23. missysdad1

missysdad1

I have pretty much quit "car shows" too, but the thing that really punched my ticket was how many of the guys with the nice cars don't know a thing about them even though they claim to have built them in their own garage shop. This comment is a little off-topic perhaps, but at least when I was a kid (a very long time ago!) guys knew every nut and bolt of their cars and really liked talking about them. They built them, drove them and usually raced them at least occasionally, legal or not, and that's just not often the case any more - at least not among the car show lawnchair set. So I find myself not having very much in common with them, preferring to hang out at local cruise nights and such where the "riffraf" who really love hot rods can be found.

Okay, rant over. Return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  24. BlacktopScraper

BlacktopScraper

Here's a picture of Barney Navarro in front of his last shop. The shop is located on Chevy Chase Dr and Algers St. in Los Angeles. The Atwater Village/Glendale border, about a mile from my house. Alger010.jpg

lurker mick, Nobey, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I feel like Pat Ganahl featured the shop in one of his blog posts where he hunted down the addresses of the original shops in the city and took photos of what they look like now. If I have a minute I’ll find and link it

Jet96, BlacktopScraper and Stogy like this.
  26. BlacktopScraper

BlacktopScraper

You're right Tim! That's exactly where I got the above photo of Barney. I knew about Navarro's shop, but was really stoked to find out about the other original shops. I drive by those streets almost daily and never knew the cool history. Thank you Pat (RIP)!

Stogy and Tim like this.
  27. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Y'all probably know this, but SCTA classes were in reverse cu. in. order early on -- little to bigger and bigger. That's why the Navarro roadster in one picture was in A class with a destroked 176" flathead.

On another note, I wonder if this roadster was Charles "Scotty" Scott's. It looks like the wheel wells are filled as was his.

ATTACH=full]5508607[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

• 09.jpeg
      09.jpeg
      File size:
      50.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    Stogy, BlacktopScraper, Tim and 2 others like this.