Register now to get rid of these ads!

The trade I always wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by csimonds, Oct 19, 2010.

1. csimonds

csimonds

Hey there fellow Hambers,
    I found the car that I have always loved! a 1950 Buick Super with a straight 8. Car runs and drives, very minimal rust repair needed. Car is all original except for a motor rebuild a few years back! Best part is I am trading my 67 LTD/Galaxie project for her and she is fairly local to me! The Buick will need a few things for me to have her on the road, but its nothing that a few nights at the garage can't fix. The car is complete, minus the rear bumper. I'm attaching a few pics, let me know what you think.
    CHUCK

What the hell I guess I can make this a rebuild type thread!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  2. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Make the trade quick before the other guy wakes up.:D

3. el shad

el shad

I thing you are a lucky guy. You defiantly have the upper hand in the trade. Good work.

4. Squablow

Squablow

That appears to be a Super, not a Special. Quite a bit of difference, actually. I prefer the Super, nicer roofline.

5. darkk

darkk

I saw the car advertised locally. You got the better end of the deal. I think the older stuff has more class.:)

6. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Wow, the irony. I am myself contemplating trading my 66 Newport for a 50 Buick.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I always thought it was cool how the hood opened to either side like that. good stuff.

8. Coupe Crazy

Coupe Crazy
    from LI, NY

9. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Good score man. Im one town over in G'bury. Let me know if ya need any help.

10. rat seeker

rat seeker

11. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Being a longtime Buick guy, I like it. It has a great motor in it dependable, and strong enough for todays traffic. They need a brake hop up, and you can drive them forever.

12. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Im gonna go the other way on this one, While im not near as into 60's cars as I am 50's.that Galaxie looks real solid and farther along.What does the galaxie need that has you calling it a project car?Either way what matters most is that you are happy with the deal!

13. csimonds

csimonds

Thanks for the comments everybody!
    Chuck

Hey Oddrod,
    The galaxie has a tired 390/C6 combo all original 146,000 miles give or take. She will need some floor work, along with some more body work. Don't get me wrong I put a Shit ton of work into the Galaxie, but she needs more! I was looking to go older anyway and I have always loved these ol Buick's!
    CHUCK

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

as much as I love Buicks, trading a 2 door for a 4 door, not so much. But if it's what you want.

15. Bigjake

Bigjake

I like the Ford...

16. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

I wish someone would trade me...

17. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

if everyone is happy ....wtf.... And besides , you got 2-mor doors & got rid of a ford .
    good trade. Keep us posted.

18. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

The Buick is nice but then again the ford is nice too. My buddy just finished customizing the same car as you currently own. The younger generation flocks around it at all the shows. Consider what it would cost to do the Buick and then think about putting that coin into the ford. What will either one of them fetch in the end. As much as I hate to say this it is all about the 60's right now for the next generation car guys. But hey just follow your heart cause in the end that is where it is at. Have fun no matter which way you go. IMO only

Cheers
    :D

19. 73super

73super

20. csimonds

csimonds

Thank you everybody for the comments. I think over the winter I am going to convert her from 6volt to 12volt and get the small issues on the body squared away. I am fairly confident that when I pick her up this saturday morning, I should have her roadable by Sunday afternoon, tune up, replace old brake lines, adjust the clutch. I am stoked to getting even more so everyday that passes!
    Chuck

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool and it looks like a good trade. You are now elected the clubs designated driver since you have room for the whole bunch in the Buick. Your roadster buddies may scoff a bit in warm weather but guess who will be hollering "shotgun" when it cools off and you want to head off to a cool weather event.

22. csimonds

csimonds

Alright I got her home Friday night! started tinkering away Saturday morning, swapped in a new electronic ignition and coil, charged the battery,changed the plugs, splashed a little gas in the carb and ran a line to a tank from the fuel pump, turned her over and BAM she started right up and ran like a top. A top that needs a valve adjustment, but non the less she runs GREAT! Put it in gear and she even moves under her own power, just needs the dust knocked off the flywheel from years of sitting. Breaks are nice and stiff and stopped the car nice rolling off the flatbed.

All in all I feel I made a good choice in trading my 67 Galaxie for my new 50 Buick Special! Oh by the way, every piece of trim was still in the car wrapped up in liplock bags, most of it looks brand new!

CHUCK

23. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Chuck... You should talk to Brian McAdams aka "Zombie" from Mass. He has a killer Straight 8 runing 3 carbs in his buick ( could be 2 carbs) He is a wealth of Straight 8 knowledge

24. csimonds

csimonds

Thanx Matt will do! By the way the Fallout was great this year!
    Chuck

25. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

little strt8 tip, be a good idea to check out oiling to the rockers they sometimes get plugged up and will silently wear the rocker shaft.

26. csimonds

csimonds

39cent I have to pull the valve cover off to replace that gasket and possibly the head gasket so whilst in there I will take a peek. I have to order up a manuel. I still cant believe she jumped up and started as easily as it did.
    CHUCK

27. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

liplock bags???:eek: Just reading between the lines here, but is this love or lust? You just met:eek:.........:D:D:D sorry couldnt resist..........cool car!;)

28. csimonds

csimonds

Ohh yeah this is the real thing buddy!
    CHUCK

29. thaugen

thaugen

Check your title and the doorjamb tag: Special is 41, 43 or 46, Super is 51, 52, or 56. The Specials ahd a split windshield.