Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Torr-Nado T blows into Kansas!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bugsy, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Not that I needed another T roadster, but when I saw that Pete Flaven was letting this little gem go, after this years' Race Of Gentleman, I couldn't pass it up. I've admired Pete's work for years, starting with his '30 Chevy coupe that was on the cover of Street Rodder about 15 years ago. Over the years, many of us have seen his work go from awesome to unreal, and his workmanship and eye for detail, never cease to amaze me. Here's the thread of the "Torr-Nado T" aka Boston T-Bag when Pete first put it together. I loved all of the things he did with the chassis on this and love the dirt track history of the body.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-rog-t-build.924908/

Pete ran it at the ROG and then pulled the motor and tranny out and I bought it as a roller....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We cut a deal on it and as soon as I had a shipper lined out to haul it from Boston to Kansas, the big ass storms rolled into the East coast! Delayed the shipping by a few weeks. Then, Pete dug it out of the snow and got it loaded up for the trip west...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It took a while but she finally made it to Kansas and into my shop!

[​IMG]

I'm a dirt track freak and that's one of the reasons that I wanted this car. It was raced in Northern Cali in the late 40's. Pete was able to dig up some info from the previous owners and I always think it's cool to have one that has actual history and survived!! I plan on continuing with the late 40's track roadster theme. I have a fresh, 21 stud flatty along with a '37 three speed top loader that will go back in the slot. The plan is to run wide 5's and she'll get a roll bar and front and maybe side bars too. This body is so solid and retains it's original bracing from it's track days. Here's how she sits now with way more to come....

[​IMG]
    The new mill!!!
    [​IMG]

She's still full of sand from the Jersey shore!!!
    [​IMG]

The plan is to have her built up and ready for the Hot Rod Hill Climb in August. I think it will be cool as hell that she ran on the Jersey shores in October and less than a year later will be climbing the mountain pass in Colorado! All by way of the 1940's dirt tracks on the west coast!
    The other cool thing is that she'll make a nice sister the "Dust Bowl Spl." (my '27 T roadster). I figure that the "Torr-Nado T" will be right at home with the Dust Bowl in Kansas!! Also, in keeping with the memory of Torr Skoog, who was the lead singer for "The Kings of Nuthin'". Torr and Pete were great friends and I have always loved his music, play it all the time in the shop and loved his write ups and builds in "Mag-Neto". Like so many people, I was saddened when Torr passed away less than two years ago. I hope that I can do him and Pete proud with the next chapter of the "Torr-Nado T".....more to come....

2. Very cool! What ever happened to your F-1 project?

3. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks man! I'm so stoked to get my dick beaters on this T!

The F-1 is up in Michigan now.....something had to go this winter and it didn't make the cut.. Felt bad about having to sell it but that's life sometimes.....

4. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Great to see it go to a good home. We had a lot of fun with that car now it's your turn. I'll be keeping an eye in this one.

5. 117harv

117harv

Good deal, I really like the look of that T.

6. Pete

Pete

So rad Jason!

Can't wait to see that climb the hill. Like Ray said, we had fun with that T..... Ray spent some late nights with me slamming that car together for the ROG..... Although it was only running on 6 cylinders..... But hell it was fun.
    Please post pics as you go.

Pete

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome man.
    Looking forward to what you do with this one :)

8. Rad little T! We need to get some of the Texas, Okie, and Kansas guys together to pull off some dirt track exhibition races like the guys in PA have.

Can't wait to see more!

barrnone50 likes this.
  9. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Pete,

I will keep pictures posted as I go. Again, so stoked to have it! You and Ray did some great work with this and I'll do my best to not disappoint you guys for the next round!

Gary....I totally agree that we need a dirt track event around here. I've been yapping about that for years. I've got two, prime roadsters to start with too!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just measured my garage and I think a t roadster should fit in there just find :D your cars give a guy all kinds of bad ideas

brEad likes this.
  11. I'm a little intimidated by your V8...might have to make some 'adjustments' to raise the stakes ;)

Really excited for you! We need more 40's style T's!!!!!!

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the plans you have for it. Keep on posting the progress.

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Stoked to follow its next life.

14. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Love what you did with the Dust Bowl Special. Looking forward to see how this one comes along.

15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Hope you don't mind if I tag along for the ride. :rolleyes: Looks like it will be a fun ride. ;)

16. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Looking forward to this build!

17. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks fellas, I'm looking forward to it too. Will be getting the details for the new radiator laid out today and looking into tire options. Thinking about knobbies in the back and grooved Firestones up front....not 100% sure yet. I'm in the parts gathering mode as we speak but really don't need too much. My pal, Chris (2muchstuff) has a pile of parts waiting for me. I'll be heading to his place in the next, couple of weeks to pick through his amazing stash of vintage goodness! Then...it's really just assembly time as she doesn't need a whole lot. Can't wait!!

Mikey....your skills will be called upon to help get this dude ready for the Hill Climb! It'll be here before we know it!!

18. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Finally made it out to my Pal, Chris' place yesterday and raided his parts stash! Good working, '37 tranny. 4, good wide 5 drums complete with bearings and two rear backing plates that are complete with all brake parts. 4 nice rims too! The aluminum radiator came in the other day too. Same type what Pete was running on it so she fits perfect. Time to start putting this baby back together!!! The Hill Climb is 2.5 months out and will be here before I know it!!
    [​IMG]

19. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Go Jason Go!

gwhite likes this.
  20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

No time to waste, git'r'done!

21. madfish

madfish

I filmed the TROG last year and noticed Pete's T. I later saw he put it up for sale on Fordbarn and considered
    buying it. Here's a little photoshop job I did just trying to embellish it and basically run it like it was intended. Glad to see it went to a good home.

petes t copy.jpg

Stogy, kiwijeff, bondojunkie and 2 others like this.
  22. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Wooo. Yes. Looking forward to seeing this one.

23. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Madfish.....that is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for that!!! Gives me an idea of what the wide 5's will look like!! LOVE IT!!!!
    Tonneau cover would be really slick too!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. madfish

madfish

If you go to Youtube and type in Universal Joint Pictures you'll find some films I shot. Look up Nuttin' Special and you'll see
    some pictures of the Torr-nado T.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  25. Get crack-a-lack in' Bugsaroo!

Stogy likes this.
  26. Pete

Pete

I love you right now!!! I can't wait to see this come together, couldn't have gone to a better home!

27. Roadsir

Roadsir

That is one cool car. I can't imagine not having a shit-eating grin driving that!

28. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

So, with less than two months to go to the Hill Climb, I decided that I better get with it! It's funny how you always think you have a ton of time and then you're always scrambling at the last minute.....I made some good, headway this weekend, in between a zillion, other projects that need done. I cleaned up the tranny that I got from my pal and found a lot of OG, Ford green on it! I was also pleased to see that the gears look good and she shifts great! Throw out bearing and return spring look good, so after some scrubbing, this is how she looked...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then, I started fabbing up a simple, tranny mount....
    [​IMG]

And ended up with this dude. Not real sexy but perfect for a dirt car!!
    [​IMG]

Engine....meet tranny....
    [​IMG]

About 10 minutes later...she looked like this!! Right at home, I'd say!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As it turns out...the Torr-Nado T is a real, pussy (cat) magnet!! I went to get back under the car for the 50th time that day and found this on my creeper!! New shop cat.....
    [​IMG]

Now I'm onto the rear brakes and will start with all of the plumbing and wiring. Shouldn't be much though as Pete left most of it for me! I made a list (that was way longer than I thought, as usual) of everything that I need to do yet, but with a little luck, I hope to fire her off in a week or so!!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    Stogy, volvobrynk and general gow like this.
  29. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

This is awesome. Can't wait to see it!!