Register now to get rid of these ads!

The thrill of finding an old car tucked away for years..but

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kreal, Dec 22, 2008.

1. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I have run across a lot of cars that people said they would not sell and they were going to build them and such, but this one I still get a kick out of.

Somewhere on hwy 64 in TN there is a 50 Ford coupe, when my dad and I took notice of it we stopped and asked if he wanted to sell it (it was a good solid car at the time). The owner said he was going to build it sometime in the near future and was not interested in selling. Here is where it gets good........ sometime during its life sitting on the hill, a tree started to grow next to it. As the years passed the car was just rotting away in the same spot and the tree was getting bigger. Finally sometime in the trees life a big storm came through the area and knocked the BIG tree over on the rotting 1950 Ford coupe which was about 6" in the ground already. To this day the car or whats left of it is still sitting under a rotted tree waiting on its rebuild.

2. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

It looks like you are a potential old guy with a shit load of stuff. I can imagine in 50 years you showing young brats around your stuff an telling them exactly what you've been told.. good luck

3. Soo true. Become friends, not vultures

4. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

I don't know man......along with all the car stories that sound so far fetched, you came up with this story about a house that got wrecked by a derailed train, and helping a shady looking character load a safe from the abandoned house into a mini van ????.......Man, it sounds like you should be writing suspense novels !.......It's no wonder there's a lot of guys doubting your credibility.....also, at 22 years old, you've probably only been in the work force for 5 years since you got out of high school, and you own that house and a shit load of cars ?.......Man......I don't wanna sound like a prick, but I seriously have my doubts about all this.........."Lucy.....You got a lotta splainin' ta do!"......

5. As a 75 year old fart,and reading this entire thread,I'm sure some of you have heard the old saying"You cant shit an old turd,there s no steam on it"All I can say is maybe Kreal has a brother in Mexico named Sled!!!By the way what you been smokin?or sniffin?

6. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Kreal, When you do go back to the guys place..can I tag along?...please !!!!

7. Ramblur

Ramblur

Having grown up in the Youngstown area albeit 30 some years ago I can
    testify that at least back then there were classics stashed all over the
    place.I've got to imagine that at least some of these still survive.But at
    your age every dime I had went into getting my 57 Chevy to the drag strip
    and back every weekend and rebuilding it over the winter. This thread has
    jogged a lot of memories for me including a barn that held a dozen large ass
    mostly touring cars that sat at least a 1/2 mile from any public road and
    the farmhouse by it was half gutted by fire. And yes,I eventually went
    back to check on them and of course their all gone along with most of the
    siding off the barn...

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Thanks for sharing Kreal, nice pics and a well written story.

You're gonna have to get a thick skin about the multiple cars thing. I'm further down that road than you are, and trust me, people ain't gonna change. There's ALWAYS gonna be some jackass with a comment that it "must be nice". And you know what, they hit the nail on the head. It is nice to live a life on your own terms instead of following the herd. Most with snide comments wouldn't blink if you had a pair of late models in the garage, yet I bet your total investment is probably less than a new mustang and F150 combined.

Good luck with the chase

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

10. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

For what it's worth, when I graduated from High School in '66 I had owned over 60 vehicles. I bought and sold all the time to fund my passion for old junk. Among the odd ones were a '36 Huppmobile, a chopped Crosley, a full custom '53 or so F100, and a flat tank belt drive Harley single. It can happen. I had my first house bought at the age of 29, and paid off in 5 years. No, it wasn't much house, but it was ours. You wouldn't believe the crap I owned by the time we had it paid off. A bit of drive and lots of extra messing around can produce results. I spent most all of my time driving around looking for stuff for years. I still do it some.

So, maybe the young feller is stringing everyone along. But maybe he isn't? More pics would be nice. I always take my camera, and always ask if I can take pics. Most of the time they are OK with it, and I never sneak around doing stuff they don't like.

11. N.O.M.A.D.

N.O.M.A.D.

You know, he who dies with the most toys wins..........

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well im an old fart that has a few old cars..and No there not for sale, and yes im going to build them.(im doing it right now)..
    I have found both of the old cars i have..they were left to rot..or whatever.
    sounds like I need to hook up with you and go old car hunting with ya. i need some parts, and hell who knows I might find another car i will need to build..good luck with the hunt..keep us posted, buy a camera, and take it with you.
    alot of things out there for all to see..
    I can believe this..you should have seen what my brother in law had stuffed down in a crawl space in Detroit..and I'll bet its still down there..5 or 6 cars that he parted out..mostly late 60's mopars, and a few 70's mustangs..nothing hamb worthy..but he is a hoarder..pack rat or what ever you want to call it..these people exist, and some dont even know what they have

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  13. 31whitey

31whitey

born in Cleveland
    Raised in Pittsburgh
    Take my word for it...The area in between the two cites encompases the youngstown area and is a VORTEX of unbelievable shit.
    Some seriously backwords people, not neccisarly back woods...just some very strange birds man.
    A bit lawless...and alot of what this kid describes...oddballs, hoarders, and kooks.
    I miss it.

14. Kreal

Kreal

Good morning all. Perhaps today you won't view me as the punk 22 year old I was yesterday as I just turned 23 this morning. :)

I am not sure what else I can post to 'prove' I am legit, but I don't quite feel like wasting any more of my time in doing so. I am not here to brag about my findings or what I own, I registered here so I could share some stories I thought most of you would find interesting. I also figured since I own several old cars that I might aswell post the pics & stories of them aswell.

If those of you out there are so narrowminded that you believe there is no possibility of a person my age to own a home and my cars then you should step out of the box and look at the world. I bought my home when I was 20 years old and without even a cent of money from anyone else. I have been living on my own since the age of 16! I do not drive or own any new model vehicles, I enjoy driving what some people call 'junkers'. Throughout my entire life I have worked, worked and worked. From a full time night shift job while in highschool to snatching up all of the over-time available. I do not need cable TV, aslong as I can choose whethere I would like to drive a convertible, a sedan, a coupe, or a rusty old pick-up truck today. I don't need extravagent clothing or eat fancy meals, or an Ipod. I enjoy knowing I do not owe a landlord or an apartment complex, and that if I take my cars apart in a million pieces in the garage that they can stay there like that for aslong as I live without someone complaining about it.

I have met an uncountable amount of nay-sayers in my short lifetime. When I go to car shows and walk around admiring the interesting vehicles I see, if I see a similar car that I own I usually go and talk to the owner and ask questions about it and right about the time I mention ' I know this because I have one too' is when the conversation begins to change and they immediately believe I am MAKING IT UP.

About the area where I live, I admit there is quite a few old interesting cars around here, undiscovered. When winter hits an old car is put into a garage, garvbage piled on top of it and suddenly the owner has forgotten about it for 10 years. The steel mills were here, plenty of people years ago made plenty of disposeable income. I have a good friend who is in his early 60s, and has the '57 Chevy he bought for $50 when he was a kid. He hasn't had the money to do anything to it since because he lost his high paying job at the steel mills 20+ years ago.

I enjoy saving old forgotten about, uncared for vehicles. Whether or not I find the time to restore them or I just clean the age old dust off of them and find a new owner - its still a good thing. I have purchased cars, brought them home and cleaned them up and GIVEN them away to people I know would take care of them, rather than see them end up in the scrap pile.

Thanks

15. Kreal

Kreal

Would you happen to remember the 'FARMER BROWN' farm on Rt 224 in Canfield? I never saw it in it's hay-day, however its run down now. The large barn with 2 floors filled with 1920s-30s,40s cars, and Anglias, Henry J's, Crosleys etc - - the top floor collapesed onto the bottom floor. Very sad, I wish I had been older at the time, as I would have enjoyed trying to save those cars from their unknown future.

16. aldixie

aldixie

I always take a camera along, normally leave it in the car until the owner says yes. My accent helps as originally being from Britain they try to work out where I'm from. I've stumbled on a few cars just in my immediate area, wifes Bunco friends husband has a GTO with 27000 miles on it. Got to see that as on a visit we started talking about old cars and he said come down to the barn and see what I have. His mother bought it new out of a dealership. Also know where there is a Barracuda that was bought new , Its been stored since the early 80's.

I missed out on a storage lot of Model A's and a B a few years back as they didn't know I was into old cars. They belonged to a Widow who was tired of paying the storage fees, they were given away.

When I was growing up back home I stumbled onto an old 1920's Bentley that was rotting away in the woods.

May be the boy has found some pot at the end of the rainbow.

17. 31whitey

31whitey

well happy b-day man....if it is really your b-day....I for one would like pictures to prove it....hahaha.
    you can send them to me in a self addressed stamped envelope taped to the back of a 1921 dusey....little car talk humor.
    dont sweat the non-believers... they didnt believe me when I told them AXLE ROSE stopped at my house to use the bathroom once....some people...geez

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

Happy Birthday Paul.

19. screwball

screwball

happy b day carry a camara at all times just dont leave it outside in the freezing temp the cold kills digital camaras. I dont usually brag about what I find unless I know someone who could use it. The only real cool car I ever found I posted here and ended up in R&C in there last vintage tin issue. The 32 3 window is still sitting outside and still not for sale.

20. Kerry67

Kerry67

I was buying it until I saw Duesenberg, Rolls and the Cord. Oh, and the Shelby Cobra all sitting around rotting. Not buying it.....

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

^
    maybe he was at jay leno's house?

22. Kreal

Kreal

Perhaps you should read the entire thread, especially page four. Thanks.

23. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Saddest one in recent memory for me was a bone stock 56 T-Bird, with about 20,000 on the odometer. It sat out on the driveway of a house in the district I patroled. When I say sat out, I mean winter and summer without even a cover. The story went that the guy used to run a gas station and one of the customers gave it to him, because he had always worked on it. It was the toy for the original owners wife , and she was the only one that drove it. When she died, he husband gave it to this guy. I tried for over 20 years to buy it from him, even to the point of offering realistic prices. The answer was always the same, "I'll fix it up some day." I retired, and it was still sitting there, with flat dry rotted tires, and rusting to the ground. I'm not a big fan of Fords, but it deserved better than that.

24. Kreal

Kreal

Can we get back on topic now? Let's hear some of your car finding stories please.

25. Kreal

Kreal

[​IMG]

This was the mate to my 64 in the new member thread, if you haven't checked it out yet. When this one was parked however, he built the house around it.............and then the roof let go and its turned into a car in a jungle. Had to pull it out.... !

26. Kreal

Kreal

Wow, this thread has over 3,000 hits. Jeez. And only about 10 replies that are on topic.

Just taken for the person who asked what the red car was, it's my European model Triumph! Check it out. 1 owner before me, 67k miles.

[​IMG]

Check out some of my interesting antique parts stash. Here is a wooden 6 volt battery charger, yes it works ! I've never seen another, have you?

[​IMG]

27. knucklescars

knucklescars

Bring the old man a half or full cord of wood. That's a small investment considering potential return.

28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I have been reading this thread from its inception. Standing by, waiting for the flame to burnout. I have seen young industrious fellows create quite a collection in a small time. You live in an area that is conducive to the stories you tell. I must admit your yarn is interesting. But.....
    You write very well for your age. Almost too well.
    Your temperament and personality are well beyond your age.
    Every young fellow I know who has amassed his hoard had help in some way.
    I just find it un-impressionable to believe that you have access to multitudes of Nomads, Shelby's, Dusenberg's, Cord's and Mercedes.
    If I had to guess whats going on here, Id say your 70 or 80 years young and do have knowledge of these barn finds and have actually gathered this mass in decades not years as you claim.

29. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Understand that there are Shelby Mustangs, and there are Mach 1 Mustangs, but there are no Mach 1 Shelby Cobra Mustangs or any Shelby Cobra Mach 1 Mustangs.

So, if you see Shelby's signature on the glovebox or dash, it's very likely a Shelby Mustang or a clone (I love Ol' Shel, but honestly, he seems happy to autograph almost anything you stick in front of him - clones included). If it says Mach 1 anywhere on it - it was NOT manufactured by Shelby.

I'd guess the lady has a handle on what it is, and the OP person just isn't as familiar with the difference (in the early years) between Shelbys, Cobras, and Mustangs. It became much less clear after FORD retained rights to the COBRA nameplate and slapped it on anything that came out of Dearborn with two doors and a stripe.

If it is actually a Shelby - check out the prices on anything of Shelby OEM - the prices have been absolutely stratospheric over the past year or so. Even the stupied "Eleanor" cars seem to generate excitement (although, being a purist, I absolutely cannot stand that edition or it's late arrival on the scene). When Shelby was done with the brand (ie: done with Ford), that's the end or REAL Shelby's IMHO, regardless of their inclusion in the rapidly-diluting Register.

dj

30. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

Post a pic of yer ugly mug. Do it. 23 years old my ass! :D ;)