Register now to get rid of these ads!

The tale of the Falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redzula, Jul 14, 2013.

1. redzula

redzula

Ok so I bought a 63 falcon to use as a daily driver. I started a thread about it before I bought it but figured I would start a nother now to document the little stuff from day to day. not really going to be the most entertaining thread and its not a build thread. but i will post about upgrades I do or problems that come up.

here is the link to the other thread and im also copying a bit just to make it quick and easy here to get caught up.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815530&page=5
    Bought it yesterday 7/13/2013

Well it's sitting in my driveway now so I'd better get ready lol. Looks like Macs has a good line of replacement parts when I need them. I saw they have an electronic ignition to replace the points. Is there any reason I shouldn't do that to replace the venerable points that you all have been mentioning?
    I drove it yesterday and it rides super smooth so I think the suspension should be good for a while with just some grease from time to time. It shifted good not too strong but still able to notice the shifts just right. The carb needles choked longer than normal (even after its warm) the guy said he rebuilt it so maybe it needs to be re-rebuilt he said the float sticks too so I kind of figured I would need to do this maybe I just try to find a replacement instead of messing with it. The doors and windows all work easily (rear windows are a little tight probably from not being used. Nothing a little use and oil couldn't fix. The doors and panels are all aligned well the only exception being the front pass. Fender which looks like it was off at one point and there is a small slice because of it. I'll get pics. There is also a little paint bubbling at the rear quarters behind the wheels but its not through yet so shouldn't be hard to fix. Also I realized it has front seatbelts but none in the back so I ordered a couple.

Anyway here are some pics.
    View attachment 1979566
    View attachment 1979567
    View attachment 1979568
    Engine shot its the 170ci
    View attachment 1979569
    The old 1 bbl does look pretty tired
    View attachment 1979570
    Look free dry rotted snow tires lol
    View attachment 1979571
    Tenley likes checking out the inside interior shots
    View attachment 1979580
    View attachment 1979581
    View attachment 1979586
    Hey dad whatcha doing
    View attachment 1979587
    Quarters behind the rear wheels
    Drivers side the color doesn't show it well it's about the size of a football but not too bad really
    View attachment 1979588
    Passenger side is pretty small
    View attachment 1979589
    Inside quarters through the trunk still have most of the factory deadener
    View attachment 1979591
    View attachment 1979592
    Pic limit onto the next post

2. redzula

redzula

quoted from the other thread

3. thedreamer

thedreamer

Great meeting you at Good guys, and good luck on the build.

4. redzula

redzula

from my computer the pic links work im not sure why they arnt showing up as thumbnails but i'll try and take care of that later.

driving it today
    the choke needs to be out almost all the time even when its warm (warm = needs about 1/4 choke)

the Previous owner said he rebuilt the carb and the float is sticking a bit. but the more I drive it it seems like the carb is just not set up very well. its got a crazy fast idle not sure it thats the choke or the adjustment. anyway I figured I'd ask you all if what you thought. could too high an idle speed make the carb run crappy to the point of needing to choke it or am I crazy?

well thats all for now. headed to the DMV to get it registered and setting up insurance tomorrow during work hours so daily driving should start after that.

5. redzula

redzula

it was good meeting you too. maybe we'll meet up at a local cruise in sometime.

6. Veach

Veach

Love those little Cars Thanks for the Post

7. thedreamer

thedreamer

I would be walking. I sold my GMC on Wednesday. Time to look for something a little more HAMB friendly.

8. redzula

redzula

Any idea what you're looking for

Sent from my DROID RAZR using H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. thedreamer

thedreamer

Looking for a 49-54 Chevy/B.O.P 2 door sedan. A friend of mine was talking about having a 1939 Ford Deluxe sedan that I might be interested in but it is in Nebraska and they aren't looking at bringing it to Iowa until later this fall. Original flattie still in it and has been in the garage since 1965. The wife and I aren't really ready to do anything until next spring anyways. We want to get our house sold and move somewhere with a bigger garage... ...and I guess a bigger house.:)

10. redzula

redzula

Double post deleted.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  11. redzula

redzula

Well I couldn't get this carb to run right. Plus I kinda wanted a 2 bbl anyway. I ordered a weber kit from classicinlines.com which comes with everything to mount this carb to the stock log style manifold.

While looking up parts a stuff like everyone does when they buy a new old car lol. Specifically HEI dizzys looks like all the options from classic inlines require a 5/16 opinion pump drive from the latter 170ci 6 cyls well I have the earlier 1/4 drive and would need to swap the oil pump. I was told a while ago that a regular electronic module would be a waste because of the spark control thing on the stock carb. Am I crazy to think that with a new carb I could use an electronic module. I would like to maybe swap to a fancy dizzy latter but for now a simple module is the cheaper option.

Long term plan. I have been thinking about maybe flaking the roof or at least just a simple metallic on the roof and keep the body the crappy paint that on it. I'm thinking a shade of green that matches the interior. I'd do the stock steelies the same way and dump the hubcaps for for spider caps or something cooler than the dog dishes.Well that's my plan for now.

For now, I'll post some pics when my carb shows up

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  12. redzula

redzula

So its been way too long since I update. I got my carb in September it was a kit that had a new regulator and an adapter to go down to the single barrel intake since that's built into the head and not removable without a ton of modifying. Got it mounted up and then had to make the stock linkage work since I didn't want a throttle cable in there looking ugly. Got the regulator mounted and plumbed.

Then came time to buy an electronic distributor. I know its not that traditional but I want to drive this thing a lot so I went for reliability. As mentioned before the shaft wouldn't fit the oil pump since mine was the smaller version. That turned out to be a problem since th shaft also had to g through the block. I could either carefully drill the block in car since I didn't want to rebuilt the engine. Or take my brand new dizzy apart takt the shaft to the machine shop and have the. Turn down the shaft which looked like it had the thickness to do it and it was only 1/32 for the circumference to make the 1/16th difference. I really didn't want to f up the block so I machined the dizzy. Got that back looked great and fit perfect.

The stock choke cable wasn't long enough for the new carb and the only replacements i found would look ugly for a lawn mower so I bought one anyway and used a little heat to melt off the ugly knob and swapped the cable into the dash bezel and swapped over the original knob using a little heat and some epoxy glue so it looks original. Like the other switches.

I did want to try and hide the electronics since they don't look cool so I put the behind the shock tower and under the brake master, still accessible but you don't notice them as much.

I tried to start it and nothing. No fuel getting to the carb. Tried swapping the pump with one I had from a mustang and still nothing. I then decided to just buy a new pump since the stance hadn't been used in a few years and I didn't really know if it worked anyway. I got the new pump and then got busy and didn't make it back to the shop.

This all took place working after my daughter goes to sleep until midnight or so on Tuesday nights and weekend nights since I have to get up early on the other days. This went on for a couple months and progress was slow. Then came the holidays and needing to get our second daughters bedroom ready per my wife's specs as her due date is fast approaching (Feb 20) well I finally stole time and got back out to the shop this week. I put non the new pump and after filling the bowl it started turned the key from start to run and it shuts off. I disconnecter the I wire from the starter solenoid and it started and ran normally. After messing with it trying to set the carb I tried to shut it off and the key did nothing. Because my jumper was still giving the ignition its power. I was confused last night but I think that when I ran a wire tk power the ign. coil I cut off both ends and swapped in a new wire. I think I probably eliminated a splice or something the let's the coil work in the keys run position and my jumper fix if this just covered up the real problem. It was late last night though and I just went home. I'm going to try and tackle the issue hopefully this weekend. Then its time to clean everything up and driver this thing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  13. redzula

redzula

The pictures didn't want to upload let's try this again

Attached Files:

14. redzula

redzula

Got the wiring sorted the stock setup had a splice I was unaware of that went to the ignition to keep the coil powered in the run position. I had run a power wire directly to the coil and accidientially bypassed that part of the circuit. I redid my wiring using the factory setup and now it starts and runs great. I need to mess with the jets a bit as I have to have the idle speed in a bit just to get it to run. Weber says no more than 2 turns in on the speed and no more than 2 turns out on the mix. Right now its 2.25 on the mix and 5 on the speed. Not a big issue so I'm not super worried about it right now since I'm not quite ready to drive it.

15. redzula

redzula

So I'm trying to figure out what I want I want to do with my the looks. Asked around in the Photoshop thread. I don't really like the top and scallop together. I like the green but am not in love with it. Meh on the brown. And my wife thinks I leave the top the same as the body and just do a scallop down the side in a blue or turquoise or something. She really doesn't like or understand the flaked roof thing and ya got to keep her happy too what do you guys think any suggestions?

1396112266527.jpg
    1396112282181.jpg
    1396112300241.jpg

I really love this cars look but don't want to just copy it out of respect because I totally would.
    1396112368055.jpg

You guys have any ideas maybe just the scallop and add one on the c pillar like Malcolm's galaxie had
    1396112488805.jpg
    I'm just at a loss I want to change something just don't have the eye for what works and what doesn't. I'm usually not even allowed to dressy daughter because I cant match things lol.

Attached Files:

16. syxxstring

syxxstring

I really like the look of the first picture.

17. redzula

redzula

I wasn't sure about the top and the scallop together i like the top but my wife is not convinced....yet

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Pretty small C pillar on a std. '63 Falcon. Not sure it would carry a scallop well. A Futura has a wider C pillar and would work better. Why not just do a similar scallop to the white Falcon, but add a center point to that style scallop?

19. redzula

redzula

You're right about that c pillar probably being too small. Not sure I known what you mean about the center point in the scallop. I do have a spear shaped trim piece that runs most of the way down the side already that might fit well with the painted scallop down the side. I used a Google images to get a good side profile for photo shopping so that's not my actual car. But the body is exactly the same.