Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Tale Of My 29

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nailheadroadster, Jul 13, 2018.

1. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

No, those are the emergency brake carrier plates. The backing plates can be seen in the pic with the rearend parts.

Thank you kindly, sir.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from Raytown Mo

Your buddy would have just thrown his hands in the air haha

nailheadroadster and loudbang like this.
  3. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

LOL, now that's funny! They are actually stock as shown tho.

loudbang and Tim like this.
  4. Muttley

Muttley

Wait, are you performing brain surgery or working on an old car? Your garage is cleaner and more organized than my house.

loudbang, nailheadroadster and Thor1 like this.
  5. brad2v

brad2v
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No kidding. Good Lord man, I thought I was a picky pain in the ass to all around me, lol. Unreal. Keep it up!

loudbang and nailheadroadster like this.
  6. Mart

Mart

That bachelor fella, about 19 or so's kid brother has a real tidy garage...

Just kidding, you're doing a wonderful job and I'm enjoying your writing style.

Mart.

7. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

LOL Naaaw, this old car stuff is waaaay more important than that! Thanks!

BAAHAAAW! I'm sure you are a picky PIA! LOL, I know I can be. That's why I said earlier that I like to say I am "particular"... but my friends always call it something else! Thank you sir!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 11:34 AM
    brad2v and loudbang like this.
  8. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Thanks Mart! Please update your 33 build... I'd kill for that coupe!

loudbang likes this.
  9. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

At some point, while reading your story, I realized that I was missing a button!

loudbang, Big T and nailheadroadster like this.
  10. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

LOL, I would expect no less, sir!

loudbang and Big T like this.
  11. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

All kidding aside it's a great read, so well written, like you I've read dozens of similar threads on here as well as other forums but none held my interest quite like yours. My only sadness is not being there, or you being here to witness the fun, maybe I could get Big-T to ride out with me to be your parts cleaner bitches.

loudbang, nailheadroadster and Big T like this.
  12. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

What a fantastic and entertaining read. I can literally envision much of the activity and trials you have described thanks to your detailed explanations and humor. The photos are fantastic as well. Great job and great thread my friend. I look forward to more! Like JB said, I wish we could have been there for some of it. BT

13. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

HA HA! Thanks guys! You know yer always welcome in Texas! The help in the shop would be great... if for nothing else, to make the beer disappear while I do all the work! :cool:

14. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

With the rearend out from under the 29, I decided the best time to clean up the underside, would be the present. The surface rust that had taken hold was in no way a threat to anything structural, so I decide on wire brushing and using a rust convertor called The Right Stuff. I bought it years ago at Napa, and I don’t think it’s even sold anymore, but maaan it works pretty damn good! Isn’t that how it always goes? If it works, it ain’t gonna be around for long. The fumes tho… OOOF, those’ll take yer breath away!

I laid down a bunch of cardboard on the floor and rolled under it on the creeper… Armed with about every size and shape wire brush you can imagine. I had big and small handheld brushes, a drill with several different sized round, smallish brush wheels, a small grinder with bigger brush wheels and my big grinder with some serious cup brushes. I meant business! And hey, with all those tools of abrasion at my finger tips… How long could it possibly take?... Right!

I laid there on my back for over five hours, doing my best to make my arms and shoulders look like I was shooting for the next Mr. Olympia title. The constant shower of fine rust particles & dust that blanketed my body reminded me just how very much I enjoyed the taste of it. That, combined with tiny little daggers of liberated wire wheel strands that punctured my clothes and imbedded themselves in my skin, was so enjoyable... I just didn’t want to stop. Yeah, right! It truly turned into one of “those things”. About half way thru, when I was VERY ready to be done with it…

The voice: Ya know… if you go just a little bit longer, it’ll look that much better.
    Me: This sucks and no one is every gonna see it
    The voice: But YOU’LL know it's done
    Me: Ugh! My shoulders are KILLIN me!!!
    The voice: Quit bein a pussy! You know you’ll never get under here to do it again!

YUMMY! The taste of old paint, rust, dirt dobber nests and whatever the hell else had affixed itself to the underside of that car over the last eight and a half decades, had pervaded my nostrils hours before and there was no way of getting around the knowledge that I’d be filling Kleenexes with some nasty looking crap for days.

Once I finally decided it was as clean as I was gonna make it, I was ready for the next step. I found that a spray bottle top screwed perfectly onto the Right Stuff bottle, and when set to “mist”, it did a great job of getting in all the tight spots due to its water-like consistency. After it was thoroughly applied, a few cheapo paintbrushes did a first rate job of spreading it all out. But, I could only do about a dozen squirts while holding my breath, because that smell was more potent than ammonia! You ever get a good, strong sniff of ammonia? It’ll about brings tears to yer eyes just thinking about it! This stuff… ooooh buddy!!! It’s difficult to breathe once you pull that trigger for it to spray out! But, it works like a charm.

When I was satisfied that I had done all I could (or cared) to do, I cleaned up the mess and trudged into the house. With the robust potpourri of rust, dirt and Right Stuff clogging my sinuses, a myriad of aching muscles and nothing but a stiff drink & a hot shower on my mind, I shut off the shop lights and closed the door.

I let the Right Stuff do its thing for a few days… somewhat because I wanted it to be completely dry and work its magic… but also because I wanted to give my arms, shoulders and neck a bit of a rest. When I finally decided to get off my butt and make something happen, I rolled under the 29 and was pleasantly greeted with some very nicely prepped metal. As per the Right Stuff instructions, I grabbed a few rags to wipe it all down and then proceeded to shoot some fresh black paint on every surface and crevice that I now knew so very intimately.

71 20150322_111237.jpg

72 20150322_111336.jpg

Since I’m not planning on getting invited to any Pebble Beach shows with it, I think it oughta do just fine.

To be cont…

Tinkerman, Thor1, brad2v and 4 others like this.