Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The (T) Bucket List

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 29, 2016.

1. The Bill Rowland/Tom Ivo T was always my favorite T bucket. The Kookie car lost the right proportions in my view.

need louvers ? and lurker mick like this.
  2. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Not. entirely. clueless. I .grew. up. in. those. days. I. was. describing. my . neighbor .and. his. Fad.T bucket. ca. 1979-'80. also I have. a. steel '21. and. it. looks. more. like. anderson's. it. has. canadian .posts. which. lean. back.(stock) cut. down. for. only. the. lower. glass.
    - that being said I'd love to have his car today brass and all. Big block Chev, tunnel ram, dual quads, side pipes, met. blue, spokes and Cragars w huge M/Ts. Only things I'd change would be to reconfigure the seat (or have none), lose the upper windshield, rake the posts, and use the top as a boat cover. Don't get me wrong I love T's

alanp561 likes this.
  3. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I got the T bug along time ago. No other hotrod ever made me smile the way a T bucket does, so much fun to drive too. Ya got to love them!

Attached Files:

EVL401, Vic Walter, 26hotrod and 3 others like this.
  4. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

"Bad Proportions"? Really? Everybody is entitled to their opinion. It started a movement.

SANY0026-2.jpg

5. adam401

adam401

Im usually into 1940s style cars but I love crazy 1960s t buckets and show T's and I don't care who's knows it. Just driving around with long hair gettin high with bra-less chicks. Tell me that's not rad. Just sayin......
    a876f412a15fc3ebf41f67c239f210f5.jpg 05 UT Uncertain T  beach.jpg 24a3affee3f6892f64f878cb78772fa9.jpg

EVL401, Vic Walter, 26hotrod and 8 others like this.
  6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

That's what the '60s were Tities, hot rods and beer. In my old memory anyway.

You know adam401 "Fuck me" I like a lot of those krazy T rods too.

7. adam401

adam401

Haha yeah I knew I wasn't alone

mad mikey and dana barlow like this.
  8. Bader2

Bader2

[​IMG]the two best! Ever! Period.

Gizzy, Vic Walter, Lil32 and 8 others like this.
  9. Bader2

Bader2

10. Bader2

Bader2

11. Quite partial to this one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vic Walter, Blues4U, dwollam and 4 others like this.
  12. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Here we go again, Every time this topic is brought up stuff like the Uncertain T, That black C-Cabby thing. and this ridiculous not even a R-R thing in the post before this comes up. Not a one has Traditional T Bucket soul about it. Come on! May be in the UK. But not here!

13. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Okay fuck kid traditional enough. I still like the Uncertain T.
    Gary

IMG_0494.jpg

EVL401, Vic Walter, 26hotrod and 6 others like this.
  14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Traditional, just not of the era that we normally accept on the H.A.M.B. If you have never spent time staring at a Dan Woods T-Bucket, (the C-Cab thingy) I suggest you do. The proportions were of their time, but the workmanship and the flat "cleverness" of his fab work was beyond awe inspiring.

dana barlow likes this.
  15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nope! That'n is free for the cloning! (Do it!)

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

I am just pointing out sure Steve's Uncertain T and the Stuff Dan Woods put out are cool. BUT they are not T buckets in the definition of this topic.

17. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Some of my favorite T bucket related images. As a kid I'd watch 77 Sunset Strip just to see if Kookie and his T would show up. Not many hot rods in a weekly TV show back then. The first image is from the Peter Gunn TV show with Norm driving the bucket pretty hard... worth watching
    a2.jpg stacked_zps08309486.jpg moviecar_zpse32a0377.jpg KKKKAR.jpg norm_edited-1.jpg rear.jpg bdng.jpg t bucket.jpg RI.jpg eddy.jpg woolf.jpg dragstrip girl 1_edited-1.jpg Dragstrip girl 15.jpg gg3.jpg tommy-ivo-original-t-bucket.jpg 77-Sunset-Strip-1024x579.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    EVL401, Vic Walter, Lil32 and 9 others like this.
  18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Sorry Kid I was in a "Mood" of course you are right, those cars can't be lumped in with "street Ts".

I do like them because of the quality of the work and probably because they are just in your face show cars and not overdone T hot rods pretending to be street rods.

19. showrod

showrod

image.jpg It think I like the Roland version of Ivo's T best too.
    Quick change, more chrome, mag wheels

EVL401, Vic Walter, 26hotrod and 5 others like this.
  20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The "Uncertain T" was a SHOW car only, for all practical purposes. Dan Woods T Buckets were "Fad Ts". Great craftsmanship and very innovative, considering what he was working with, but still T Buckets. IMO

need louvers ? likes this.
  21. Blake 27

Blake 27

mail.google.com.jpg Not actually a "BUCKET' my T was a hot rod in my home town in the 60s. I found it in a barn a few years ago.

EVL401, Vic Walter, Lil32 and 16 others like this.
  22. showrod

showrod

23. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know showered I've never seen that knob on Ivo's roadster. He doesn't deny copping Norms roadster maybe he put on a crazy shift knob for a while. This is early build with the six carbs.

24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

This has got to be the earliest set of hairpin radius rods the I've ever noticed on a street driven Gow Job. This car sure does resemble the Bob Estes T (albeit a lightened up) that Carole Lombard wanted to buy for Clark after Bob's Gow showed Clark the plow. IDK what year this was, but it sure does look to be early-mid 30's. It seems that there were quite a few of these rolling around the streets of L.A. belonging to the likes of guys such as Roy (Multy) Aldrich = Late Member of SCTA Tech Committee and later he and his wife handled the Hospitality.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  25. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

t2.jpg t3.jpg t1.jpg T.jpg
    I have to make a guilty admission I really used to like the '13 flat fenders fad T guys used especially with the little kickup at the back

26. verde742

verde742

How many children did Norm have?

27. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Being old and started building my own rods in the 50s,its always interesting reading ideas an views from those working at trying to know what was. Very often by just thinking one or so photos is a time rep. I guess its how they get so set about any idea of some stuff that mostly was not that way.
    After building ,driving,and just helping out on so many rods over there years I have a base of what was really happening more then most.
    The small fronts n big rears tire thing,was not style,but how things worked. Small fronts were faster an EZer to control,the rears got bigger as the sizes became availible to get bit=we were getting more an more HP that needed tread on the road. T Buckets with "meats"*,yes same way,if you have under 1800lbs and over 300+ HP you just get as much bit as you can. Did meats became style to some,sure,but understanding we were on that path all along is needed for those that say some this stuff I read.
    Ramble over!Hope some one got something out of that.
    "meats *= biggist tire we could get at the time"

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  28. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

absolutely! the T bucket/rod is debatably the purist form of hot rodding. In a nutshell....the model T started it all. I remember vividly a ride in a stock T with no doors/fenders on a chilly evening. when I say stock I mean a car that was pulled out of a feild after sitting for 50-60 years. we got the thing up to 35-40 mph tops on old crackling wood spoked rims and old rubber so hard they didnt need air lol but the point is it was a thrill! now imagine 3,4,5-1100 HP strapped to a narrow short wheelbase, 1,000 pounds, with 100 year old suspension and steering technology! these guys had to mold a special area into their seats for their brass balls..... t4.jpg http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/07/25/boeing-powered-t-bucket-2/ ha ha ha rofl

Vic Walter likes this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man, I am so glad I decided to sit this one out...

30. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I always liked T's...a lot of them anyway...but it was much more fun before everyone got so damned serious about them.
    Considering most are just a cheap 'glass bucket on a 2x3 ladder frame, I don't see how its a big deal if some people get them "wrong".
    Just scrap them and start over.
    Best learning you will ever get is learning from your mistakes. ;)