Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Swedes do Route 66 & VLV10 in a '58 Bel Air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kuztomklaus, Mar 11, 2007.

1. klazurfer

klazurfer

A group of Norwegians did that " route 66" tour last year . belive it was like 15 US-Made cars shipped from Norway to the US , and then they cruized route 66 from east to west ... from what I have have been told , they had THE time of their life ..:)
    Have FUN :)
    Klaz

2. ACECHEV55

ACECHEV55

When to are leaving Chicago you will end up on Rt I55 to exit 269
    Joilet road old RT 66. I can meet you their with my 55 and cruze with you for and hour or so.Let me know and Ill give you my cell number
    Hoping to heard from you.
    Acechev55

3. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Good trip Klaus and Cindy, we allmost made the same trip last year..... and we had the time of our life :) Is Tim going with you to? Las time I talked to him he talked about going to the Roundup.

4. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

There is an old restored Standard station on the south side of Odell, IL not far after you get started on Rt66. It is a good place for a photo or two. When you get down to Litchfield IL there is a good restaurant on Rt66 that has been there since it was Rt4 waaay back. Good food, try the chicken! I would meet up with you guys when you pass through Bloomington, but I will be in SanDiego then. Enjoy the trip!

Bill

5. Hey ya'll

Monday night and we will fly out tomorrow morning! See you in the US!
    Some of you we'll see already Tuesday night at The Rodeo Bar.. The rest of our friends we'll see down the line.....

Klaus, Cindy & Magnus : )

6. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

BTW
    Klaus has christened the Bel-Air to Jersey Belle, or is it Joisy Belle? See you all out there, we'll have a great time partying along the way. I'm expecting them to my house tonite for a snack and a drink, wll leave at 6 am tomorrow and I think we'll watch Talladega Hot nights tonite.....

7. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Well here we are at our friend Jim's house in Haddon NJ. Landed as we supposed to do in Newark and were pickedup by Hotrod Scott in Jersey Belle. First stop at Rodeo bar in Manhattan for the best food in town and great country music. Then got southbound for Jim's house and sleep. Yesterday we got to take a closer look at the Belle and it was even better then I anticipated, Thank's Fatty Mcguire. A fast idling carb was taken care of and some tool shopping as well. Oh, we broke the throttle linkage too but got it welded so today we'll throw in a stereo and speakers, the we're ready to go, will probably leave Philly tomorrow at noon. Had a great dinner yesterdayat the Golden Nugget with Deadbeaters CC including a rare table dance to Tequila!!! It was a blast.

8. Hey Ya'll

The first group of pictures from our visit with the Deadbeaters NJ (for those of you that dosen't know already) and from our pre trip repairs at Stan's faboulous Barn and the Sunoco station in Haddonfield.. Oh I almost forgot the incredible Tequila dance by the Deadbeaters!!!

More to come later

Enjoy

Attached Files:

9. NoSurf

NoSurf

10. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I have a little shop about a block off of hwy66 in Yukon Oklahoma. If you come through stop by and say hi. You cant miss us were right behind the Sonic drive in just look for the early 50s chevys, we have lots of them in the parking lot. This sound like an awesome trip. I wish I was doing it with you.
    Pooch

11. 41 mopar

41 mopar

Hey sounds like a fun trip. enjoy it. I live in the first town in Okla. after Kansas. Just about 15 miles from me is still the old 8ft. concrect road for i think 6 or 7 miles. Don't forget to bring whale food for old Blue. Post pics when u can.

12. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Howdy Ya'll!

We're in Chicago! Drove straight thru from Philly to a small town called Chesterton Indiana (30 miles outside of Chicago). Slept there and then made it to the Windy City Saturday morning. We met a drag racing friend, Bill, at the Route 66 Drag Strip and had a bite to eat at a Bob Evans restaurant in Joliet. Then we drove up to Sycamore Illinois to meet up with fellow HAMBers Mike, Andy, Justin and a few other folks. Andy's garage is called Marty & Sons body shop and man ... that ¨kid¨is talented! This shop has been in operation for 53 years and is going strong. Andy built fellow HAMBer, Mike's, coupe. Right out of the Alexander Brothers book with a few original ideas ... phenomenal work!

Andy's birthday was yesterday ... and he took Magnus for a spin in his 5 window I guess it was the birthday spin. Magnus HATED it! Grin grin!

Then we went to the Hala Kahliki Tiki Bar in River Grove ... and supped on the sweet nectars of the Tiki Gods. This is a must see for tiki lovers visiting Chicago ... it stand completely untouched since 1966 ... and it's amazing. Very reasonably priced as 8 of us drank for less than$100!

Today we're sightseeing in ¨Chicago¨... heading down the mother road tomorrow morning ... more later!

Klaus, Cindy & Magnus

Attached Files:

13. How are your heads this morning? Those Hala Kahiki drinks really sneak up on you! :D

Good meeting you guys yesterday. Have fun touring ChiTown today, hope to see you down in Austin.

14. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

our heads are still over our shoulders. Drinks were nice and plentiful... Weather's fine today so "we like short-shorts". Thanks so much for your hospitality, meetings like yesterday's make the HAMB such a great place for us. I hope your make it to Austin.

Martina likes this.
  15. What days are you Swedes gonna be in Southern California? We should try to plan a H.A.M.B. get-together. A weekend would be the best turnout, if you have room in your schedule. The location could be anywhere from Barstow to Santa Monica.

And, it looks like we should set up a H.A.M.B. meet and greet at the next Pomona swap meet.

Thanks,
    Kurt

16. abomber30

abomber30
    from syc, ILL

it was really nice for you guys to stop at the shop. thanks for the kind words and making my bday pretty damn fun. later and good luck

17. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

This might come a day late but if you like beef jerky, stop at Zerna's Meat Market in Gray Summit MO. It's about 3 miles N of I-44 (66) Go to the Diamond''s Inn sign and turn north. Closed on Monday. AT that intesection you will find dwhat is left of the world famous Diamonds II resturant, The Gardenway Motel, And down the road a few more miles on 66-w is the original Diamond's. It was turned into a truck stop a few years back and closed in the last few months. bums me out. Wanted to eat there. Cool building though and good for a photo stop.
    HAve fun.

18. tred

tred

klaus, call me when you arrive in vegas. i haven't seen you kids in almost two years!
    i seem to have misplaced your number...

tred.

19. misslizzy&chris

misslizzy&chris

Hi there! Glad to see your having such a great time. After our 'Reverse 66' a couple years back (in the '63 Comet convertible), we know what's in store and you have a great trip ahead. We're looking forward to seeing you in Vegas. Oh... and we're bringing Liz's Comet to OSW in August... All that way to park with the Volvos!
    Liz & Chris

20. Martina

Martina
    from Sweden

Magnus, "a rare table dance to Tequila" -- hm, should I be worried??? Great that I can follow you here, I loved the pics. Take care & kör försiktigt! Martina

21. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Howdy Ya'll!

Rise and Shine ... Lincoln IL. Our first day on Route 66 was excellent. But I have to tell you ... MAN it's hard finding the beginning of Route 66!!!! We spent an hour and a half, using the Atlas map over Chicago which only showed about 1/4 of the actual streets in downtown, to find Lake Shore Drive and Jackson ... we hate Jackson Road! But that's a tale in it's self. Driving on every road surrounding Jackson and Ogden and never finding either until we wised up and drove 55 North to Lake Shore and TADA ... it was right there!

We drove the entire stretch of Route 66 from Chi-town to Lincoln (save about 28 miles between Bloomington and Lincoln because it was too dark to see anything so we hit the 55 and drove to the hotel). We ate at Del Rhea's Chicken Basket, saw the Castle Car Wash, Cindy Lou Motel, Gemini Giant, Polk-a-Dot Drive In, Riveria Restaurant, Ambler Becker Texaco, Odell Standard Sinclair station, couldn't find the Old Log Cabin Inn (but they have moved it before so maybe the did again!!), and a bunch of interesting delapidated building stretching the entire route! What a first day!

We're heading out now from Lincoln and should be somewhere mid Missouri by days end. Until next time ... see ya down the road!

Oh, almost forgot, we'd really like to have a HAMB meet in the LA area ... Sunday after VLV looks good ... Kurt - you'll take care of the particulars??

Later kats and kittens!

Cindy, Klaus and Magnus

Attached Files:

22. Howdy Folks!

It's Wednesday and we're all bright eyed and busy tailed ready to meet the day of Route 66 adventures. It's a bit overcast but the temperatures are holding out in the low to mid 70's (20C). We'll be back tracking a little bit this morning because we heard about an amazing gas station in Red Oak 2. We learned of this place from a very happy, jovial man we met late in the day yesterday ... Gary Turner, owner and storyteller of the Sinclair Station in Gay Parita, a little corner of Paris Springs Junction. This is a whole posting in itself. It was pretty cloudy and the sun was starting to set last night and we wanted to see this station in the best possible lighting ... so we'll back track about 10 miles and check it out, then we'll mosey on through the tiny bit of Kansas and then on to Oklahoma. We'll make a pit stop with fellow HAMBer in Yukon OK to check out his garage.

Until the night falls ... we'll be cruizin' the Mother Road and lovin' every minute of it! More tomorrow!

Cindy, Klaus & Magnus

Attached Files:

23. Martina

Martina
    from Sweden

Hej Magnus & Co, sorry I couldn't be there today in case you tried a live session. The pictures are great, and it's obvious that you're having a ball! At the same time -- I'm beginning to be less sad about not being with you, cause I realise that I'd be kind of fed up with the car aspect by now... Is saying that like swearing in the church in this forum? Puss & Kram, Martina

24. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

wow the pictures are amazing im so happy you guys are having such a awesome trip ! can wait for more of the story :) hugs

25. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

Thanks for the updates and pics.

26. Rolf

Rolf

Typical Swedes have all the fun !

Nice vacation, looking forward to the updates.

Hejsan

Rolf

27. Sounds like a cool trip. Are you still planning to hit Austin for the Roundup?

28. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Hey guys, How far did you get today? If you are in western Oklahoma be careful. There are at least four tornados south of I40 moving north. Hail the size of golf balls has been reported. This is happening just west of Elk city.
    Pooch

29. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Hi Ya'll

We stumbled over this amazing museum in Rolla MO. Definetly something to see.

Klaus, Cindy & Magnus

Attached Files:

30. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Howdy ... here we are again! As mentioned in our last post ... the Sinclair Gas Station ... WOWWWWEEEEEEE!

So, we're cruizin' the mother road from Springfield MO westward. Zooming past no name town after no name town and we wiz by a PERFECT Sinclair Gas Station in a town called Paris Springs Junction. The station has it's own little town name ... Gay Parita which came about from the first owners . So Cindy screams out ¨Magnus stop, stop, stop, stop, stop¨ and he did. He threw Belle in reverse and we backed to the front of the property. The station was fenced in so we decided to stay on the ¨correct¨side of the fence - being private property and all. And a elderly gentleman pops out from the ¨station¨proper and hollars out ... come one in and park that beauty in front of the pumps! And we did! It turns out that Gary Turner is the Proud Pappa of this beaut! He's the third owner of this establishment. He's an extremely kind and generous man. Filled with incredible stories (some repetitious) and a jokster in his own right. He must have thanked us 10-15 times for stopping. It seemed like we made his day, but little did he know that he was making ours! He gave us the hundred dollar tour. He gave us a history lesson behind everything we touched, looked at or asked about. As you can see ... this place is incredible and Gary Turner is an incredible man. The only thing that he asked of us ... Enjoy America! What a man! If you're cruizin' Route 66, YOU MUST stop and see Gary and tell him that the Swedes sent you!

More to come ...

Same Bat Time ... Same Bat Channel´

C K & M

Attached Files: