Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Stupidity Of Youth & The Relentlessness Of Age

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leaving out details that would incriminate me if brought up from times past might make this reply/comment seem quite invalid. Let's just say my heart has softened somewhat with the years...

...I cannot stand people who are the a-hole I used to be. I can't change who I was but I can try to leave this world a little better than I found it and take a stand for what's right.

Good on you Ryan, the grandpa thing really makes a fella look at things differently.

2. Boss, you did the right thing! Unfortunately, for some reason, this type of behavior has been brought back to society in the last few years. I never understand why people can’t just be nice. It’s so much easier than being an asshat. I admire you Ryan for how you handled this situation. I’m not sure I could have held back the way you did.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cactus1, Deuces and Baumi like this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

I hope so.... He needs it!... :mad::(

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man, how I hate when stuff like that happens.You know you did the right thing, but it takes a while to swallow something like that. Driving a hot rod or working on old cars helps me to keep my sanity. People are getting crazier lately it seems. Punching him would have been the easy way out, but you would have hated yourself even more, for not maintaining your temper...at the same time you' re hating yourself for not beating the living crap out of him. There is no happy end to such a situation.

lothiandon1940 and Texas57 like this.
  5. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

It's always been there lurking just under the surface, however you're correct it's been emboldened and it's creeping out from under the rocks and out of the shadows more and more.

Ryan you did the right thing, even if it felt like you should have done more. You showed your daughter, that young lady and everyone else in there this sort of shit is not to be tolerated. You won't change that old prick but you made a lasting impression on the people that matter.

"Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too"

Thor1, Truckdoctor Andy and Baumi like this.
  6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

You did the right thing, putting your daughter first is always the right decision.
    Just a quick story, when I was in my teens I was a supervisor in a local (chain) restaurant. One of the waitresses was my 1 year younger sister. One of the co-owners of the local Pontiac dealership came
    in drunk and sat at the counter. My sis was well endowed, and he decided to reach out and grab, she
    hit him so hard he was knocked off his seat and was out for the count. I grabbed him by the ankles, dragged him out to the curb, propped him against a column and called the cops to complain about a drunk passed out in front.

7. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing. It doesn't always require violence, just standing up and saying something can make a difference.

8. flatford39

flatford39

You are 100% right....as I typed before, "we become what we normalize".

We all must do our part.

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

Children learn by observing the examples that we set. Your daughter learned a valuable lesson. Good on you. She must be proud of you ... :cool:

10. IRION29

IRION29
    from Alberta

Is Shitsky's a restaurant chain in Texas?

cactus1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Hurt people hurt people. It's not an excuse, just a truth.

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's what Miller calls Schlotzsky's cuz it gives him the shits. :0

13. 54BOMB

54BOMB

The last few weeks have been super stressful and Saturday I took my 11 year old daughter to the early morning meet up in Georgetown. On the way home I really wanted to rap out the coupe , but she’s in the car so we take it easy , we drove by a school with a bunch of parents and kids playing baseball and I leave in in first and pull up the Rpms then give it little blast between gears and I said to her “ you think that ruined their game ?” and she says “ no , whatever they’re doing over there just got a little cooler” I said yep .
    Good for you keeping a level head in a difficult situation , with your daughter there you can make your point clearly with out violence. Kids are more important than knocking out an old man.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. I'd hate to be in that guy's head. It must be hell. The guy's a tortured soul.
    PS...loved the video!

lothiandon1940 and Baumi like this.
  15. IRION29

IRION29
    from Alberta

I'd be the kid that got hit in the head by a fly ball when some Hot Rod drove by

16. I'm not religious, but there's two rules to that even I know of. They're simple to remember, but sometimes oh so hard to live by (speaking from own experience):

- Do to others as you would have them do to you.
    - And why do you look at the splinter in your brother's eye, but not notice the beam in your own eye?

If the man at the counter had tried to live by this, a lot of people would have been a lot happier that day.

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Comforting to know this organization is run by such a solid citizen. Nice work . . . and video!

18. mnjeff

mnjeff

Just reading this brings out my inner “Billy Jack”.....thank you for your stand.

hillbilly and mountainman2 like this.
  19. My two cents,
    My wife and I adopted our son, now 15, five years ago. He's biologically my wife's nephew and is "mixed". Living in the South Carolina, you never know when you are going to cross someone with hate in their heart with long standing, deep rooted racism. I have seen open racism in public, and I have also seen it mumbled and behinds peoples back. There is no place for it, there is no appropriate time to joke about it, and nobody benefits from it.

Being a Marine for twenty years has taught me how to handle situations physically, and mentally. There are times when a good old fashioned a$$ whooping will benefit an idiot. There are also times where simply pointing out that they are an idiot is enough. The best thing that could have happened is that someone stood up to him (not physically), in front of the young woman. If you let the behavior happen you are just as guilty. The second best thing would have been asking the daughter to "hold my place in line" while I went outside to "talk" to the gentleman. If you have the ba!!s to put your racist opinion out there, you better have the ba!!s to defend it. Just saying....

RS
    Mike

Special Ed likes this.
  20. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

I think most of you have assumed the racist grandfather is white. Why? I don't believe Ryan ever said.....
    Just something to think about.

tractorguy likes this.
  21. I am 72 and yes I am a grouch at times.:mad: Hey, something hurts all the time and then there are the bathroom issues.:oops: However I am extra polite to working people trying to make a living by serving the public.:cool: Waiters, waitress, service personnel, etc.. Serving the public is hard enough way to survive without dealing with jerks. Ryan you did the right thing, not sure I could have restrained myself. Remember I am old!:rolleyes:

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's an easy and safe assumption. He was white.

In any case, I'm gonna close this thread now. I knew when I wrote it that it didn't belong here, but The Jalopy Journal is where I go to release... and that's what I did. I figured it would be closed or gone by noon yesterday... I am AMAZINGLY proud of the response it got and the kind of people that commented.

Thank you guys. Sincerely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.