Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Story Of Tommy Lee

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Kellogg, Jan 13, 2010.

1. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Great story, I first read about Tommy Lee in Dean Batchelor's "The American Hot Rod."

2. plan9

plan9

awesome, im glad to finally read some words about Tommy Lee... he must have been a character. thank you for posting it up! :)

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Huge thanks to Ron for starting this thread and for everyone else that is adding awesome info. A five star thread for sure!

4. Wild story! Man, truth is stanger than fiction. I love the look of the car...gives the italians a run for there money when it comes to tasteful style!

THANKS!!!!!!!

5. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I hope you do more postings, Ron. That was a great read. Thank you.

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Wow, a very inspiring, but ultimately sad story. Thanks for sharing!!

7. bigsam63

bigsam63

Yes, very cool thank you.

8. thinkfink

thinkfink

that car always intrigued me- thanks a lot for sharing the knowledge.

9. woodbox

woodbox

Like others here have said I think this has the makings of a great movie......anyone know of a good independant movie maker that needs a next project.........Faith?

Interesting story. Thanks for taking the time to put it all up for us.
    Cheers.

10. kick start my heart!(if i didn't start it someone else would've!)

11. I have always lusted after that car built from the '34 La Salle, but that Offy-powered Special is a great looking car!

This weekend I'm off to Atlanta to start collecting parts to put my '35 Slantback back on the road, and begin my foray into rat rods.

Maybe I'll get to build a boattail like that LaSalle someday.

12. Dyce

Dyce

Excellent story and pictures!! Thanks for sharing...
    Jeff

13. swimeasy

swimeasy

Thanks,That's as good as it gets!

14. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I would like to see more on this lakes roadster also.Any more info or pictures?
    [​IMG]

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you Ron Kellogg, and Welcome to the HAMB! I had the pleasure to judge the Tommy Lee Speedster when it was shown at Hershey but never knew any of the history of the owner before your post. I hope my fellow HAMB friends clicked on the link to Kellogg Auto Archives to see what you have amassed over the years. I'm fairly sure I'm the only guy to listen to your Bugatti 57C engine running while holding a broken Type 59 connecting rod, it brought back some great memories.

HEMI32 likes this.
  16. Gaters

Gaters

Another great post Mr. Kellogg!!! Neat to read about his history and see some hidden jewels of hot rod history.

17. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for sharing these photos, I have never seen any photos of the car without the fenders before!

I can add to the story that the car originally costed $25,000 to build back in 1937, and that was more expensive than most Duesenbergs at the time. in the late 1950s the car was rescued from a wrecking yard in Los Angeles. Steve Alcala later bought it and restored the car back to its former glory. The restored version of the car debuted at the 22nd Annual Le Cercle Concours d'Elegance in 1989.

Below are some additional photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are some photos used to promote the car for the upcoming Scottsdale auction:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ron mentioned that Willet Brown were able to secure all of Tommy's cars when he died. Willet was manager at Don Lee's KHJ Los Angeles Radio Station. Frank Kurtis had actually also built another boattail speedster for Willet based on a wrecked 1934 LaSalle Coupe. Below is a photo of that car. The car is still around and was owned by comedian Doodles Weaver in 1980...

[​IMG]

18. Offy powered and Yep it is still around it has been restored too!

here is a pic
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

one of my uncles worked at the Don Lee Cadillac dealership in Los Angeles. I will never forget the time he gave me a ride on the shop Harley servicar [3wheeler]. He used to tell about the moviestars that he talked to when servicing thier cars. [Clark Gable, Frank Sinatra]

20. flyin-t

flyin-t

Like Tommy Lee, Doodles Weaver also committed suicide which is kind of a strange twist of fate for two owners of Kurtis built cars. Not that there's a connection but it's weird.

21. Clark

Clark

Thanks for the great story and pics. i've always liked the that speedster and hope i get to see it in person one day.
    Clark

22. Very cool story.Thanks!

23. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Awesome my dad worked for Tommy before WW2................Thanks

24. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Thanks for filling the blanks...I'd heard of the guy, but never knew his backround.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That is bizarre.

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The Tommy Lee car was bought by Canadian collector Fred Phillips. The engine that's in it now is a sick Offy 270, rather than the rare Offy 318 that was originally in the car. The car is at Bob Mosier's restoration shop in SoCal, and it's hoped that it will be re-united with its original engine before long.

27. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Just got to this one. Nice piece on a nice piece.
    Thanks!
    Ralph

28. Perhaps a bit off-topic for this thread ... but I thought I'd share my pics of Tommy's '46 & '47 Indy 500 entry ... a '32 Alfa Romeo P3 (which he named in honor of his late father):

DON LEE SPCL - '32 Alfa Romeo P3 Monoposto (@ 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance).jpg
    DON LEE SPCL - Head On (@ 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance).jpg
    DON LEE SPCL - Rear (@ 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance).jpg
    DON LEE SPCL - Cockpit (@ 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance).jpg
    DON LEE SPCL - Cowl (@ 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance).jpg
    DON LEE SPCL - Dash (@ 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance).jpg
    DON LEE SPCL - Placard (@ 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance).jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    The37Kid likes this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks HEMI32, if my memory is correct Dave Uihlein got this car less engine in the late 1940's and spent 50 years trying to get the owner of the original engine to sell it. He did outlive the guy and saw the car reunited with the powerplant.

HEMI32 likes this.
  30. autobilly

autobilly

Very cool!