Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Story of the Burkholder Bros

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harvey Mushman, Sep 13, 2011.

1. [SIZE=-1]This is a great story and some interesting history.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Sorry if it has been posted in the past. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]The story of Pete and Harry Burkholder began in the sleepy lumber town of Yreka, California. Pete was born in 1939 and Harry, one year later. Five months after Harry arrived in 1940, the family relocated to a small flat in downtown Sacramento. An older cousin, Bob Zetz, also lived in the building, and Bob was a big street rod and dry lakes racer. It was Zetz, along with his buddy Joe Radan, that got Pete and Harry interested in cars and hot rods. Through Joe and Bob, the brothers got to know members of the legendary Thunderbolt Car Club-guys like Don Argee, Lawrence Brocchini, Ed Cortopassi ("The Glass Slipper"), Dick Bertolucci, and Harold Bagdasarian. It was a formative time in Pete and Harry's young life, and their association with some of the "Thunderbirds" would be pivotal in shaping the direction they would go. From then on, all the brothers wanted to do was build hot rods and race. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]By the time they were teenagers, they both had jobs working at a neighborhood gas station. Harry recalls their coming of age during that era of hot rods and cruisin' main street; "Pete and I went to Sacramento High School, but neither of us took any automotive school classes there. However, we both worked after school at Ed Smith's Shell station on 23rd and F St. We did it, mainly, to be able to work on our cars. Pete's real passion was painting cars and he soon got a job prepping and painting automobiles at the Wion Brothers Body Shop. His first car was a 1940 Ford coupe powered by an Oldsmobile engine; a real beauty that he entered into the Sacramento Autorama. My first car was a '41 Ford I bought when I was only 14 years old. I fixed it up-had it painted and upholstered before I was old enough to get my driver's license. Like many hot rodders back then, we were just a couple of self-taught kids. I worked on many of my friends' cars doing Olds engine swaps in their old Fords. When we started racing, I did all the design and engine work and Pete did all the fabrication and painting. We spent our evenings hanging out at the local drive-ins and cruising Sacramento's K St."[/SIZE]

The whole story with more photos can be seen here.http://www.wediditforlove.com/Burkholder.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. Excellent story about an awesome team. Thanks for posting it.

3. Can't wait for part 2.

4. Thought I would bring this one back up for the New Years Day crowd.

5. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

Cool thread bump :)

6. Back up for Sunday morning

7. lawman

lawman

Now, That is a good story !!!!

8. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Great story about 2 pioneers, thanks for sharing!

Looking forward to part 2!!!

9. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Excellent story. I love to hear about the pioneers !

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. Very cool. Awesome writing. I really enjoyed that history.