Register now to get rid of these ads!

The start of a long 1950 Mercury build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ace-k, Feb 9, 2009.

1. I have been searching for a project for my son (11 years old) and I to work on together. Originally we were going to build a Model A project. But my dream car has always been a 49 - 51 Merc. While looking for a good 5 window I found this Mercury. It's been sitting in a barn and a warehouse for the last 30 years and for the last couple outside. It's pretty solid except for rockers, and it's missing the right quarter. It should be fun!
    IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

2. Cool...Good luck with the build. whats that 3 window coupe carcass there in the background?

3. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Cool Merc to start out with. Is that a 40 Willys coupe in the background? Is that where the front end in your avitar came from? The 3 window not the 5 window (which looks like a 46 - 48 Chevy).

4. I'll add you to the HAMB Merc Club! Check out the thread and post your car. Any questions...ask them on the thread. Best place to get Mercury info...

5. Kool deal man.
    Good luck on the build

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i think that one is related to my two!!:eek: looks like a great start to me!!

Attached Files:

7. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Cool I should have a post up soon on my wife's car 51 merc.Keep the pictures coming should be a great family project .

8. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I don't know what you paid for it but it sure does look like a good solid Merc. 50 Mercs in this condition are hard to find these days. I assume that you did buy it!

9. chopt49

chopt49

Did you also snag the Willys next to it?

10. It's a Willys. The guy I bought the Merc from used to have his own hot rod shop. He sold it and moved all his projects to his ranch. He as a ton of good stuff. He said he has more projects than he can ever complete. He's going to do the chop on the Merc. He's done a few, and this Merc was going to be his. The first order on the build will be to replace the rockers, and fix the other rusty bits. Unfortunately we need a right rear quarter...$975.00:eek:

11. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

You have a real good start on your hands. This thread is great it has my 2 all time faves 50 merc. & 40 willys. Do you know if the left over willys parts are for sale? If so could you pm me the cotact info. Thanks

12. Finally got it up to Dave at Backstreet Kustoms for body work and to chop the top. Here is his Merc that he is getting ready to repaint. I'm going with the same chop on mine.
    IMG_1471.jpg

13. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Nice ..Ya got a 51 hood and 49 front fender sidertrim.

14. Not original hood. I think it is 50 trim though
    IMG_0950.jpg

15. 00 MACK

00 MACK

16. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

very cool, great project!

17. Disassembled and sand blasted. No hidden surprises yet.
    IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

18. You done good, that car is super straight compared to what else is out there. Is he going to paint it for you too?

19. I think the plan is to have all the body work performed, then bring the car back to my place so I can do the mechanical and suspension work. After I get it running bring it back to Dave for the paint. He said some customers go all the way to paint then do the rest. Also I need to space it out somewhat for financial reasons. He does great work, and I'm sure paint won't be cheap.

20. Sounds like a great plan. How long will it take for his to do the body mods.