Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Spam Skinnerzz eat some BBQ and a heartfelt thanks to my friends.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nate, Apr 17, 2011.

1. So for those of you that don't know, the Spam Skinnerzzz are the toughest, rowdiest, most unhygienic car club in Jefferson County Kansas, as far as we know. The founding members were Zach, myself and my brother Luke.

A few weeks ago we lost Luke

We were planning again to head to Jay's Annual HAMB BBQ 3 deep but then after the accident and after much consideration we decided to just take my truck. It was a bittersweet weekend and honestly I was pretty anxious leading up to it but I knew we needed to go.

So we got the old girl in fighting shape.

[​IMG]

and we headed out Friday afternoon in some nasty weather. It was cold and rainy so we hit the interstate and but the beens to her. We averaged 70mph and only nearly got blown off the road by the north wind a few dozen times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. We got to Jay's and got a fire started in the shop to warm our toes, a few of our compadres showed up and we got to work finishing up the preparations for dinner the next day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zach taught Travis that standing next to him wearing a gas mask will be seen as a challenge and met sincerely.

[​IMG]

Mike roasted marshmallows

[​IMG]

CAREFUL MIKE!

[​IMG]

We stayed up way past my bedtime:

[​IMG]

3. After a few solid hours of sleep on some very nice borrowed cots (thanks Troy!) We got ready and made a run for breakfast:

[​IMG]

It was chilly but the sun was shining:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jay has a great track-record for finding good breakfast spots, Sweet Daddys in Abilene didn't disappoint:

[​IMG]

contemplating:

[​IMG]

The Nicholas men had pancakes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. After breakfast we learned about Abilene's greatest son, D.D.E:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on the way back Dwayne, Zach and I found a train:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a pepto pink ford

[​IMG]

5. Back at Jay's we ate and got goofy. Kerry and I had made an agreement earlier that I needed to buy his motorcycle and so great fun was had with that and with the speedy speedster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. After things had settled down a bit Jay and Bill started the silent auction for Luke's family. This is where the thank you comes in. We are more than a bunch of dudes that have a similar interest and met on the internet, you guys are incredible friends and the compassion you showed me and Zach and my family was incredible and humble and you'll never know what it means to us.

[​IMG]

Then Jay brought me aside and gave me this, by our own incredible artist Greg Guise:

[​IMG]

So we packed up and headed home, we were fed and we were happy. Thank you all again for all you did. Thanks Jay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nate.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  7. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Good to see you guys again. Thanks for the pics and the story, well done.

8. It was great to see you guys again! Selling the bike was a bit bittersweet till I watched you guys enjoying her. :) She's got a great new home!

9. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

great story, nate. i gotta make the trip for this one of these days.

10. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

It was great seeing everyone again. It is very cool to see the pictures that you guys took on the way. Hope everyone takes care, see you guys next time.

11. wizzard23

wizzard23

Thanks for sharing the nice pics, Nate. So sorry to hear of your loss. Looks like the ol' HAMB BBQ was awesum again this year. We will be back, so you have been warned, Jay.

12. A great group of Vagabonds I am proud to call compadres!

13. It really was a good time, there are more photos here

Kerry, my wife did laps around the park for a half hour this afternoon, she's pretty well claimed it :D

14. zach

zach
    from NE KS

I really can't express what I want to say. What a great bunch of people. Thank you fellas sincerely.
    -Zach

15. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Got Pork?

Again, Jay's yearly BBQ was a joy to attend. The car count was a little down this year, because of the weather. But that was ok because Jay does it for the people, not the cars.

Nate, if your pictures could only talk. There was so much behind the scenes, that if a person turned their back for even just a second, they missed it.:)

The kids down at the marsh catching frogs and tad poles. The little ones riding around in their Jeep, their roasting their marshmellows, and again at their bon fire on Saturday night as they watched their movie on the side of the barn, before the grown ups watched theirs.:)

I wish you could have caught a picture or two of the full moon and the fast moving clouds on Friday night or I should say early Saturday morning around 4 in the morning. That was really the calm after the storm..:rolleyes:

The museum was neat to see in town this year. But as usual, Jay always has somewhere different for us to go and see.. Our little trip on Saturday afternoon to Kuntz's to have our "traditional" ice cream treats.

Yes it was a great time again Jay. Thank you again for your hospitality and for putting on your yearly BBQ.

Nate, you didn't get any photos of Bob Barker.....from Let's Make a Deal. There were several participants at the gathering which made their trip worth while.:D

HellRaiser

16. Awesome! :)

17. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Nice story Nate. Greg did a great job on that etching for Luke. We will miss him. I'm glad the weather was nice for Jay's party.

18. NoSurf

NoSurf

Great thread Nate.

Thanks so much for coming out and helping. It was great hanging out.

I can't wait for next year!!!

19. what are you guys doing next weekend?

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

What a wonderful story. Looks like another hospitable time in Kansas. Thanks for sharing the adventure.:cool:

21. hemifarris

hemifarris

Great story and what an excellent adventure, especially including the children. God Bless Luke and may he rest in peace........Mike

22. Greezy

Greezy

Great story Nate. It was nice to see you and Zach again and hang out. I look forward to this little get together every year. Me and the wife were discussung how Abilene feels like a second home of sorts. Always feel welcome there. Thanks Jay and Angie.