Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The sound of pipes and a song, does it ever go away?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0NE BAD 51 MERC, Jul 24, 2020.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I am a young pup compared to some on here so some of this might seem off topic , but the question is more about inspiration and the feeling than the time lines. I turned 16 in 1971, I had been car crazy for as long back as I can remember, Inspired by older cousins, uncles , going to my first world of wheels when I was 13 and the cars I saw on the street's and only living 15 minutes from Great Lakes Drag way in Union Grove. Well anyway back to 1971. I had just got my first car, a 1963 Catalina convert. The first thing I did was go down to the parts store and pickup a set of Monroe Max Air shocks and two Walker Continental mufflers. Got her all put together , threw the hub caps in the trunk, spray bombed the wheels black and we where styling ! Fired her up, oh man a 389 through Continentals was music to your ears. took off down the street and at the stop sign I turned on the radio, WLS out of Chicago and Born to be Wild by Stephenwolf came on and I nailed it ! Tires smoking, that deep rumble from the pipes and speakers blasting!! lol That was almost 50 years ago and yet that feeling has never gone away for me. Today it was in my daily driven 2014 F150 super crew, that even though it has stock exhaust has always had a nice throaty sound when you accelerate and the song was Watch Tower by Jimi Hendricks ! The only thing I didn't do was burn the tire's. Those dam 17" tires are a 150 a pop! Larry

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    wraymen and woodsnwater like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

3. Slopok

Slopok

Did you have the mandatory REVERB??? :cool: That was the cats meow back then!
    Especially when Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys came on!

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.

4. WAYYY cheaper than tires in 1963

Ben

5. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Crimson and Clover when it came to reverb!!

6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Tires for the Catalina where cheap, two of my buddies Dads owned the local Enco and Shell stations and good used tires where five bucks a piece and they would let me mount and balance my self. My senior year in 73 I worked at the Firestone dealer and a pair of L60 Formula Ones cost me 75.00 for a pair for my 68 Super Bee. lol that was a weeks wages! Now a new set of 275 60's set me back a days wages so I guess it is cheaper now days! Larry

7. I can totally relate! I bought my first car in 1970 while a Junior in H.S. with money made by working summers shoveling blacktop. I would make enough money in three months to pay my car payment and insurance for the entire year. I didn't burn the tires because I would mentally calculate how many shovels of hot asphalt it would take to replace them! Car was a 454 LS-5 Vette vert with a 4-speed and that big block had a great rumble through the pipes. I still have the car today and feel like I'm 17 again every time I get behind the wheel and crank up "Treat Her Like A Lady" by Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose. I realize that the car is OT for here, but I had to share my story. It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

wraymen and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  8. If I did my math right your 65. Not quite a young pup but close enough around here. I was 16 in 74 and glass packs were the rage (at least in my neighborhood)Loved that sound and the the songs that got me going were 5:15 and The Real Me from Quadrophenia.

9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

10. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The reverb, Craig power play and the FM converter came a little later, After the Chrome reverse wheels! Yeah wore out a few Beach boy, Stepenwolf and Iron Butterfly 8 tracks through that baby. lol Larry

11. Your last sentence says what I was meaning. I most always look at hours worked.

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

13. indyjps

indyjps

Ive been going thru old music lately. Not individual songs, but put on the album and listen all the way thru, like we all used to do, before everyones attention span got so short. Remember that? A good album builds or takes you on a path as you listen.

Im 44 so my choices are probably different than most on here. But Ive found a nugget recently that fits the discussion. Allman Brothers 1969 album. Id always just listened to the greatest hits or live stuff. This 1969 early album is bluesy raunchy, Duane's solos will have you twisting your face ugly as you follow along. Check it out.

Rule: Play the album beginning to end, settle in for the ride. Go back and revisit some of your favorites from the past and go all the way thru, not just hit the highlights.

2 albums I've hit this week beginning to end. guns and roses appetite for destruction - this thing holds up well to the test of time. Everclear sparkle and fade - great lyrics, music pulls you in, I always liked how the songs on this album could put you in the time and space they were written, feel what he was feeling kind of thing.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My exhaust was always loader than my stereo. :)

15. indyjps

indyjps

Agree. Im listening at home. Most of my car builds have had very basic stereo set ups, cant hear it much unless youre parked