Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Slick Slantback

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Slick Slantback

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. alchemy

alchemy

It's cars like that which made the price of Lyon full wheelcovers skyrocket. A nice set now will cost more than the whole car did back then.

Sancho and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Good looking sedan!
    First person that I think of that may know something about the car is Lynn Bird @nostalgia59 .. If he still checks in here, maybe he'll chime in with info.

4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I love old paint.

5. Nice car, subtlety is well attributed to the car.

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  6. Rik Hoving did and article on the car and the origins of those pictures on his CCC site. He included some other pictures of the car as well in some updates. CCC-36-ford-chopped-sedan-zeke-04.jpg CCC-36-ford-chopped-sedan-zeke-01.jpg CCC-36-ford-chopped-sedan-zeke-02.jpg CCC-36-ford-chopped-sedan-zeke-05.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Jim Bouchard, 40two, Sancho and 10 others like this.
  7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

A good friend of mine, Al Breland, bought a '36 Ford 2 dr slantback in 1989 and over the course of a bunch of years, turned it into a '36 sedan delivery. The sheetmetal filling the in the rear windows is curved to match the shape of the body and the rear door looks and operates like it came with the car ('32 Ford door hinges used). The obvious change from stock is the '37 Ford headlights. It also has a '55 Plymouth dashboard. There are some non-HAMB-friendly features on the car and I gleaned these photos from the web when a later owner of the car had it for sale, but you can see some similarities with the earlier style.
    al breland 36.jpg al breland 36 front.jpg al breland 36 rear.jpg al breland 36 cargo.jpg

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

The profile of the Slantback is ever so subtle, The more I look, the more I like.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Chopped Slantback is just too slick. Great thing about it is that all of the mods work and none are done just to make it "radical".

10. I never knew too much about these cars before I bought mine but it seems in this part of the country (deep south) 36 slant backs seem few and far between? I was just at a major car event with over 8k in attendance down here and saw 1 (one!) but Plenty of humpbacks and 37's but very few 36 slanttys in my area. Cant wait to get my "finished"... fullsizeoutput_215e.jpeg

Texas Webb, belair and catdad49 like this.
  11. Apparently matchbox liked it too as they made a very similar version of this car? 36green.jpg

40two likes this.
  12. That was the biggest BONDO BUCKET I've ever seen. And yea I did see it in person.

13. Hard to believe this car is a mystery car. Someone spent a ton of time and money on it.

Those molded fenders are killer. Considering the time of no bondo ... the craftsmanship can be appreciated today.

Would love to know what happened to it.

14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I love that! It's the SoCal Plating '35 Ford phaeton custom designed by George DuVall and built by Frank Kurtis
    Duvall SoCal plating 35 Ford phaeton.jpg

Speed Gems, BigO and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. 348436-1323795614-82ca22f6969d667610a3984641f1e390.jpg Member Nostalgia59 started building kinda tribute to that wonderful SoCal Plating car, don't know what he is doing now, it stopped in 2014.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651782
    in former times i never took notice of these sedans, but such a chopped slantback is way cool.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    BigO and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. gbrown

gbrown

I love my 35 slant back. The slant backs just flow better to me.

[​IMG]

17. sololobo

sololobo

Love these slant backs, nice examples shared, I am friends on Facebook with my Japanese buddy Kiyoshi who has a smoking 35 slantback. I found a great metal sign cutout that said 35 Ford slantback and got it to him, he loved that.

18. verde742

verde742

1935 Ford Tudor National Cash Register Conversion
    [​IMG]
    NEW ARRIVAL – This is an extrememly rare 1935 Ford Tudor National Cash Register (NCR) Conversion with an original build date of July 16, 1935. Very few of these were built and this is believed to be one of only two remaining and the only one of its kind fully restored to its original condition. Even more impressive is the restoration included its original 21 stud aluminum head V8 engine, transmission and has only 27 miles of travel since being fully restored. The fit and finish of this car is absolutely unbelievable! The history of the Ford Tudor National Cash Register Conversion is well documented in advertising materials, copied and originals, dating back to 1935. Back then, Ford Motor Company […]

$49,500 to see more go to Matthews Memory Lane Motors Portland , Ore..

heavydumper likes this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a '35 Ford slantback, rust free California car. Originally bought in San Jose, 2 owners later I got it in a trade.
    Traded a NICE '46 Ford club coupe ('long door') straight across, no engine/trans in either. Both cars had up to date registrations and pink slips.
    Traded it off for a super nice '56 Ford Fairlane tudor hardtop, in time of need for a 'family car'? Grrrrr... 2 wives later...LOL