Register now to get rid of these ads!

THE SHOEBOX IS CHOPPED!!,,,with pictures............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, May 4, 2008.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

the 51 is gonna be built as a pickup,,,along the lines of the betty elizabeth shampoo shoebox truck built by bailon,,,,chopped sectioned, etc, etc,,,,,
    i dont need the back half of the roof for that,,so i whacked it to use as a donor on the coupe,,,really ended up not using much of it,,BUT it did come in handy.....
    the rear glass will probably be used in lindas hudson,,,,,(the stock back window in that car basically sucks shape-wise).....i may take the trunk hinges if i decide to eliminate the hinges on my 50 and go with the hidden hinges instead,,,,dont know yet,,i kinda like they way the visible hinges look,,(i know im wierd)

2. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

every thing you touch is bad ass. bad ass chop for sure. but im still bitter over the caddy sale

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

you HAD to bring that up,,huh????
    now my girlfriend will be pissed off at me all over again,,hahaha,,,
    kidding..

4. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

haha sorry :eek:

i just wanted to see what more you could do with it.....
    i dont like that style of car either but i dug the hell outa it.

5. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

no problem,,,,she really loved that car,,,,
    trust me it was hard to part with,,but i had been pestering a buddy of mine to sell me this chopped 40 merc convt for 20+ years,,he finally gave in, and the caddy was the only way to get the $$,,would love to do another one day though,,,

6. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

awsome project man, it's certanly not your every day ordinary shoe box!

7. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Anything spaceship, future, robot, or pirate f**king rocks!
    Especially 1950' future, the best future of all.

8. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

NIIIICE! i'd just about trade ya my 60 Olds for that. ;)

9. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

my thoughts exactly
    i love that stuff..
    especially furniture,,heywood wakefield, etc...love the lamps, boomerang shapes,,etc..love it all..
    all my furniture fits that description,,my apt looks like a time warp...

10. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Excellent work dude, so far that car is coming along perfectly...

11. customcory

customcory

Damn , you guys work fast. This is turning out great. That rear view looks killer with the fins. I see tape lines that look like 59 tail lights, that will be killer!I wish I lived a little closer so I could come up and help. Keep us updated Jim! I could see this thing in dark candy red or copper or black on this thing with gold here and there...:D

12. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

yeah i was noticing the tape lines, from the looks of it your going to run '58 Ford side trim and Cruiser skirts. this car is starting to look like it fell out of one of my little books............... your doing a killer job!!

13. Wow you guys kicked some ass. The profile looks perfect now. Cannot wait to see this done it is going to be incredible.

14. 41CADDYWIDOW

41CADDYWIDOW

Jim, it was amazing to see you , Vic ,Darren and Buddy work together yesterday. You all just knew what had to be done and did it together you were so insinc. The top of the car was off in no time. I was lucky to see a chop and learn from it. Can't wait til I get to work on my Hudson. So, can you buy just a new roof for a car if you ---- ummm --- need to ??? Linda

15. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Love It!!!!

16. Just like every other car you have done, Jim. You have a great "eye" for what works. Thanks for sharing with us. Frank

17. poorboy

poorboy

looks great!

18. choppermatt

choppermatt

I was scared when i heard chopping a coupe roof, but man it came out good, u took out just enuff! your gonna use impala lights on the back?

19. Assman!

Assman!
    from no where

I had a great time, Jim. It sure was a marathon session for the three of us (and the cat), but it was fun and I don't know where the time went. Vic and I agreed on the way home that we felt good about where we left it at the end of the day, and it got done because we all worked together so well. The car looks cool thanks to your choice of tape lines too! Now get those b-pillars in and door frames done and you will be in business. The chop might be sweet, but the fins make the car! One more thing: The cat. I have never seen a cat as friendly as yours that was not afraid of a hand grinder while it was being used to cut sheet metal! That is a true shop cat!
    Assman!

20. Big Tony

Big Tony

Nicely done...

21. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

a few pics from today,,

Attached Files:

22. Cool pics are you planning on running the fins a long the same lines as that round bar ala Bill Hines' bat? I am trying to decide what I think of the curved B pillar? I know you will make it work though if you decide to go with it.

23. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

no,,,i want the fins to be part of the body...like they grew there,,,,
    thought about putting the taillights in there, but decided on something else...
    i welded the round rod on there temporarily to study and see if it works visually,,basically, below the dip will become part of the body, and the new trunk opening will be along the dip (pancaked trunk)..i will fill the gap with radiused sheetmetal so it flows right into the dip....

after careful consideration,,i have decided to use 54 chevy taillights with lee lenses (teddyp's idea),,,they will follow the quarter panel fairings, but will be canted (like the buick headlights)....

customcory drew up the trunk dip idea for me and posted it on the art show,,,i had considered 59 impala taillights, but didnt even think of building that dip to follow them,,,,,,thanks for the great idea cory!

i think the 59's would have been too big,,,but the 54's work perfectly....

as if i dont have enough work to do!!!!!!!!:)

24. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Mmmmm..... Interesting. If you're going to do all these radical changes why not real radical. Can't wait to see what's in store. -stick

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

25. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

oh, its gonna sit lower,,,just havent done it yet
    figured it was easier to reach stuff while it was sittin higher ,,hahahah,,,,(im old :))

26. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

Wow ! this is sick ! :eek: pure late 50's... those 59 tailites were a very kool idea ! Could have been even more late 50's with 58 linc headlites... but she's gorgeous the way she is ! :cool:

i can't find the previous update ... and i need to ! I can remember seeing one of the first, but not the rest can someone help me ...:D

27. great job,car looks killer!! nice work

28. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thanks,,we really had a good time,,,your hudson is next,,,,,,,shouldnt be very complicated to pull off what we have planned,,,(ok, maybe a little,,hahah),,,glad you were there....

29. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Those photoshops look GREAT, go back and take out another couple inches!

Just kidding...looks good Jim! I knew you could do it!

Eagletucky likes this.