Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The Shifters - Part 1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Can't wait. That '40 that made it's way here to the roundup was spot on with touches I wouldn't expect. I loved it.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry for the problems on today's post guys... I think we have things fixed now.

4. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Looking forward to part two as the whole Hot rod scene has been morphing into all kinds of things over the past decade or so. Things seem so different than were in say the 1990's - at least that's how I see it.

5. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I've got a copy of Desperate Generation and as you say Ryan it's a good film and as you also say its' 10 years old, but it could be filmed right now.I look forward to part Two!

Nick.

6. bonesy

bonesy

Evolution is traditional – in builders, cars and apparently in clubs as well.

7. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

What channel and where can we buy the first or second DVD???

8. ct

ct
    from minnesota

Nice article. Looking forward to tomorrow.

9. Haven't watched the DVD in a long time...think I will pop it in at the shop and take a break...

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hey Oddrod can I borrow that? I have it back asap!

11. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

<h2> DESPERATE GENERTION will be is stock shortly </h2>
    i'm in the process of getting them remade as we speak...I'll post on here when we have them... or check www.madfabricators.com for updates..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome feature Ryan!!!

I have known Axle and the shifters for a while and they were always a big influence to
    me as a hot rodder... I remember seeing them at shows and being in awe of the cars that they would bust out,, still am today...

12. deuces94

deuces94
    BANNED
    from Minnesota

Very good story. Excited for tomorrows installment. Makes a fella stop to reflect on the evolution of hot rodding. Going back to 1955 and sitting in the stands at the jalopy races with my Dad. From there, watching my cousins and my brother in the early '60's with their coupes, shoeboxes, customs and hot rods. The mid 60's and the birth of the muscle cars, and the lull in the late 70's and 80's while I raised kids on to the era written about in Ryan's story. Hot rodding is a culture. We have our own music, attitude and desires. We can trace our heritage back to the very early 1900,s through two world wars, Viet Nam and up to today. Though many aspects of the culture don't appeal to all of us, we're all still involved with common desires. And I can't help but think we've got a lot of years ahead of us. God bless. -Mike

13. As long as Dreams of Legends doesn't come back all sticky...be kind rewind...oh wait it's a DVD

14. Excellent story! I have watched Desperate Generation many, many times. Things have changed in 10+ years, but I'm glad its still going strong.

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Thats such a great story, even Ryan used the "R" word!

HA!

I gotta get a copy of that when Piero has em ready:D

16. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Awesome Ryan!! Great writing, can't wait for part 2!!

Ian

17. Kerry67

Kerry67

18. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Great movie... I wanna learn to dance like Axle.

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn... Ryan, I'll tell you someone else who has really done some good for themselves... Pat yourself on the back!

As someone who is trying to do more writing and picture taking of personal interests to express my enthusiasm for my hobbies and passions, I have to say that was a great read! Your writing has REALLY come a long way! (not saying it was bad to begin with)

Looking forward to part 2 and more of your features. Keep writing. I'll keep reading! Great job!

Now if I could just learn how to spell without using spell check...

20. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

21. Brewton

Brewton

I got "Desperate Generation" several years ago and have watched too many times to count. It is a great film on the "traditional movement" that started over a decade ago.
    The funny part is seeing how young everyone looked then! (LOL)
    You will recognize several characters that are still heavily involved with hot rods today.
    I always watch the additional scenes that have more of the cars in them.
    Pick up the movie... you will enjoy it!

22. I will have too see where I have stashed a bunch of the scene zines that used to be around when this all got started. These zines were like the punk zines that you could only get at shows. Will be interested to hear what the interview says.

23. autobilly

autobilly

&#8220;Wow&#8230; This is really a lifestyle to these kids.&#8221;
    You got that right and it was brewing a decade before the early '9o's when everyone else started to take notice.

"Question authority, don't be limited by the status-quo. IMO rebellion looks like the PPE and sounds like the original cut of Sonny Burgess' "We Wanna Boogie"."

24. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Good read...Got me waiting for part 2 now!

25. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Evel, help a dumb guy out, did Ryan mean part2 of the whole film? or is there now 2 editions 1 and 2?

26. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

Great article. Can't wait till tomorrow!

27. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Part 2 of his story about the shifters...

28. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Thanks Evel,be looking for your release.

29. Shifters?! Pfffft... they ain't as cool as the Sock Fuckers.

:D

I am, of course, kidding. No denying the impact of the Shifters and others in the same time period, especially to those of us who didn't grow up in a hotbed of hot rodding. I'll have to check out the movie.

30. Spike!

Spike!

Great read Ryan! Thanks..

Spike