Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Shifters documentary film!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stoner, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Stoner

Stoner

With Rob Markworth (FINALLY!) joining the Shifters So-Cal last month and the club's 30th anniversary (jeeeeeezus...), proud to announce the doc film we've been working on most of last year!

Sinus called me last Spring and was all, "Hey, the club is 30 years old this year--think you might be interested in doing a little video on us?" Uh...YES.

That turned into a an hour-and-a-half long documentary film that we loved, argued, fought, scrapped, yelled, cried, laughed and drank our way through. And then we debuted it at the oldest freestanding bar in Vegas during the SEMA Show last year.

We had to break it up into four parts for YouTube, so watch Episode 1 right here. But I wanna tell you guys that we still have the full-length Director's Cut that we're gonna take to the film festival circuit and you'll get to see the whole thing as we originally intended, later this year. In the meantime, check out the first episode, like and subscribe and catch all four. Spoiler alert: there's some twists and turns you might even remember, if you were there...

And Episode 2!

Episode 3: the story continues...

The final episode. Truly hope you all dig it as much as we loved making it:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  2. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Dan, thank you guys for all the hard work. The blood, sweat, n' tears put in to this is an understatement. I'm personally looking forward to the uncut version that should hopefully hit one of the Netflix networks. All the best to you, Matt, and the guys

Kojack, hrm2k, MrGasser and 7 others like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Got it qued up as we speak!

4. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I have watched the full length Director’s cut and have to say that Dan, you did a fantastic job of capturing the essence and feelings of the time. Having lived through this time along side of Axle and the Shifters the documentary accurately reflects the history of the era and is definitely detailed with some very important history that absolutely needed to be documented.

Well deserved and well done!!!!

5. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Just came here to say I found it on YouTube. :) Cool video.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Great production value looking forward to the rest

7. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Awesome first video, I'll see if I can find the rest later at home as I just watched the first one on the clock haha. I remember those early days they were the best and the best memories I have. By early days I mean late 90s 2000s haha

8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well that was cool, fun to see Buddy & Suzy Dughi there, a couple of kids playing some rockabilly no doubt. They're still at it today. Looking forward to the rest.

9. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

We started seeing photos in our Aussie magazines of what the Shifters & other clubs by then we're doing & it really lit a fire in me, my first A RPU followed, will have a look when I get a chance!

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Enjoyed that vid.
    Thanks
    Helps a little to understand what an why, they got right, and wrong > about when I was actually doing hotrodding in the 1950s an 60s. Lot of good vibs,going on,and a few miss-takes on what we were doing in 50 n 60s. Taking some things an running with it,was fun,that can be seen. Yet , telling younger guys, those going kind of max over board with Tats,flats n sloopy crap,dosen't fit,they don't want to hear,dosen't fit with in , there fun. I do like that they are having fun.

I wish I could write better,somewere in that stuff,is both repect for you younger guys for keeping it going,,,an yet wish you could get closer to the real way we did things. At some point,there will not be " us older guys who realy did this stuff,too even say; "The facts,some don't want,";; Primer was not a finish,shinny was the GOAL,and other trendy distortions. :D:cool::p

11. lilCowboy

lilCowboy

12. I remember going to Paso, before I had an old car. I drove my slammed 91Caprice Wagon, with all my stuff in the back. None of my friends at the time were into old cars at all. Then I started following the HAMB. I felt like I had found HEAVEN! Guys that liked the cars I liked. I met Axle, probably in the late 90's and was blown away by the whole club....Anthony, Axle, Kevin, Dano, The Choppers, the ACES, Road Kings, etc. Hanging out at the A&W. The whole Rockabilly scene was growing. The Primer Nats, Blessing of the Cars, Ink n Iron, and so many other cool shows. The Doll Hut.....Talk about NUTS!!! Burnouts, fights, donuts in the street...it was a crazy time.
    Can't wait to see the rest of this!!!

axle, 41 GMC K-18, Blues4U and 4 others like this.
  13. Stoner

Stoner

SO good to hear this first episode is bubbling up some memories for you guys! I feel the same way about it--I'm just an East Coaster who moved to CA in 2000 and have been a fanboy ever since. But that perspective made what was happening here on the West Coast in the early, early '90s so much more valuable to me. The HAMB's own Matt Sumpter and our editor, Kyle Sedgley really made this project happen and I couldn't be more proud of the work. @axle and the club had this effect on us that made each one of us want to be a Shifter, but also made us realize that what they did could only happen when it did, where it did and because of who they all are. And while the Shifters certainly wasn't the only club to create this movement, it was one of the first...

AHotRod, 41 GMC K-18, Blues4U and 3 others like this.
  14. Best Damn video I have seen in a long time. I have followed the Shifters for many years, and dig these guys so much. I am there brother from another mother here alone in the east. I am cracking a beer and watching the video again. Cheers, and thanks.

hrm2k, Stoner, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Just watched it and am now going through your other The Motor Underground videos.

16. Stoner

Stoner

I think you'll dig the Stoner T series--it's got a twist in it that's more about just the car I can never seem to finish!

ratster, hrm2k, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  17. AHotRod

AHotRod

18. trey32

trey32

When do the next three parts drop??

Stoner, Jim Bouchard and Tim like this.
  19. I told all the guys in the ACES about it, at our meeting last night. Buddy and Susy, Hot Rod Trio, are in the beginning of the episode. Watched it three times now. How soon will the rest be up?

20. Stoner

Stoner

Over the next few weeks! Subscribe to the channel and you'll get notified when they drop. And I'll keep this thread up-to-date, too...

Toms Dogs, 41 GMC K-18, axle and 3 others like this.
  21. trey32

trey32

Come on Stoner, I need another hit

41 GMC K-18, Stoner and Jim Bouchard like this.
  22. Stoner

Stoner

BREAKING: Episode 2 drops tomorrow at 8amPST/11amEST!

23. Subscribed and watching all your content. Great stuff!:)

41 GMC K-18, Stoner and Jim Bouchard like this.
  24. Stoney, just watched the progression on your T, with the HEMI. Great stuff. Now I have to go back and watch them all over again. Hey, you coming to TROG, Flabob Airport next month?

41 GMC K-18, Stoner, axle and 3 others like this.
  25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

COOL! Riverside has always been where it happens...
    Thanks, Stoner!

41 GMC K-18, axle, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  26. Stoner

Stoner

Don't laugh to hard when I blow the only job I had to do when we started that motor! TROG--maybe...I gotta call Mel, anyway...

41 GMC K-18, axle, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  27. Forgot to pm you, I saw you driving the coupe on the freeway past my house last month.

Funny thing about watching Ep.1, I was devolving around the same time (a few years later) I thought me and my friend were the only ones around. Really didn't have enough $$ to get into prewar iron (and didn't know anyone to guide us). We were driving late 50s/early 60s beater cars around a little south of Orange/Tustin area and it wasn't until later we heard about the Shifters/shows, that's when we saw that Model As didn't have to look like an Easter Egg. The late 90s when it was in full force was incredible, traditional styled hot rods and pin up girls were EVERYWHERE around here........I kinda miss it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  28. Stoner

Stoner

Episode 2 is up! I added the link to the original post. The saga continues...

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Watched the first episode three times already can’t wait to check out number 2!