Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The secret OHRA street rod show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mad~Max, May 10, 2009.

1. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

So anyway...

Last week we were looking for a place to go drive our cars to. We found a car show in Guthrie, Oklahoma so we figured, yea, right distance, let's do it. We should have about 10 cars in the convoy.

So Saturday arrives and only three people show up to go drive, because it's raining between here and there. Heck, the chances are the rain will be gone by the time we get that far north.

It wasn't! I had a blast in my open-wheel 32 coup`e. The rooster tails from my cheaters were taller than most semi's. Sadly, the red paint was covered in mud, but the rain-x worked great!

As we pull into the park we thought it was going to be at, the park was empty, and rainy. Well, we heard it was empty last year too, and that they moved it, so we went downtown and circled around. Finally we saw a "Color Me Gone" hemi in the window, so we pulled-over to get out and press our noses up against the glass, but at just the same moment Vic Raupe pulls up and lets us inside to shoot the breeze and look at a big old 426 hemi, and a killer 56 (or so) GMC suburban. Say's he'll be at Kentucky Hot Rod Reunion in a few weeks to race.

Found a pic on here by caseyajones:

[​IMG]

He tells us in general terms where the car show was, and we figured there'd be a sign or something. Nope. Finally we pull into this guys drive-way that says "No U-turns in drive-way" and skid to a stop. He comes out kinda pissed, but cools down when he see's it's hot rods. He didn't know where the secret show was either. We called Vic up (after remembering he gave us a business card) and he gave us the exact bombing coordinates.

So we arrive and there's a bunch of cars there. Mostly the same cars you see at every street rod event. Absolutely zero spectators (it was a secret show is all I can figure) There was a huge trailer rig, so we looked around, and yep, it must belong to the two camaro's that are compensation for something.

We looked at every car in about 30 minutes, and I saw a guy with a BBQ making burgers and hot dogs. I asked him for a burger and he said I'd have to wait two minutes, because they were out. Then I watched as he threw a bunch of frozen patties on the BBQ.

Dude! Why didn't you do that before noon. What a dink, acted like he got paid already. So we gave up on the guy, and we were ready to hit the road back to downtown Guthrie. We decided to have a 1:30pm breakfast at the Stables Cafe before heading back to the capitol city, but not before going down the alley and depositing some horse dung and another couple of mud-hole contents onto the car.

Course it's a beautiful day driving back, cool, with high clouds all the way. People were thinking I just went to a hill-climb the car was so dirty. I was having so much fun I forgot to take a picture...

I just wanted to say thanks to the OHRA secret car show for giving us a place to have an aventure for the day.

It's Mad!

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. They weren't very specific on the location of the show in their fliers, apparently! Hey, if nothing else, you got a nice little tour of Guthrie. I'm assuming you are not from Oklahoma here, but Guthrie is a great little town, the State's first capitol, and quite a few movies have been filmed there in recent years. Who needs a car show as an excuse to go and drive your car???