Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Second Coming...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I misspent some younger years building and thrashing numerous VW's. Fun cars. Always loved the 356's, had occasion to drive a couple belonging to others, they were an absolute gas to drive. I had a very rotten B parts car that donated spindles, steering box and brakes to a '65 beetle.

I had the fortune to work on a four cylinder carerra motor once. They were all four cammers, with dual ignition and two plugs per cylinder. This one drove the distributors off the ends of two camshafts, one per bank. Others (different years) used a V drive on the nose of the crank. The cams were driven by a series of shafts with bevel gears. It was like a Swiss watch; the design, machining and overall fit and finish was magnificent.

Thanks for taking this step outside the box, Ryan. Glad to see there's lots of us that appreciate it.

2. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

I thought it was about obama! Oops

3. Rod Emory

Rod Emory

Hey TP, It was fun seeing you guys at the Ventura event. I still have the Playing Card Biz Card you guys gave me....

Here are some shots of my personal car you are referencing here. It started life as a Stock 1964 356 Cabriolet with a soft top. I have included a never before seen shot of the car with the top off. It is the only time in 15 years I have removed the top only because Papa (Neil Emory) wanted to rip through the hills topless. I don't like it with the top off.

Attached Files:

4. Donnj

Donnj
    from North NJ

a refreshing thread... many thanks

Attached Files:

5. Wow that is a incredible car!! Thanks for posting the pictures.

6. Rod Emory

Rod Emory

Thanks Lars!

It was a great time seeing you at the track and I look forward to many more. The day after seeing you I was in Roswell for the RedBull Stratos Jump where history was made. My best friend and business partner Art Thompson is the brains behind the Stratos Project. The capsule was built in our Lancaster, CA shop http://www.SageCheshire.com This is also our CA facility for Emory Motorsports.

Here is a shot of me at the wheel at our shop with part of the Capsule in the background. So yes under one roof we have the latest and greatest technology and next to it me doing what I do building these old hunks of steel and aluminum. :)

Attached Files:

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This made my day. Now that's outlaw.....as in criminal! :D:D:D:D

Scootermcrad has been showing me the finer points of Porsche's lately since he bought a '70 911 a few months ago. I like them especially the 356's but I just don't know where they lie on my bucket list. I bet they'd move up a few notches if I got a ride in one.

[​IMG]

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

I like bugs.

9. sobpunx

sobpunx

I have been to his house, I didn't know he was well known till now. I walked by a barn and looked in an saw a few porsches, all super nice.

10. truckjim

truckjim

Oh God, how true! Memories :)

11. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Hot Rods, and 356 Porsches have always been a shared passion for me. I drove my '57 Speedster from Ma. to Ca., 3900 miles in 7 days in '04, and hope to replicate the trip in my Deuce 5W. The Emory's are a great family, and I've known Rod's dad, Gary, for 30 years. Thanks Ryan for introducing them to the HAMB family.

12. Karrera

Karrera

Great background story on the Emory's history.

Yes - the Dean Jeffries car is a Carrera - I'm working on getting the 4-cam engine installed in the car this Spring. Its not the original engine but it's a good rebuilt 4-cam that sounds amazing.

[​IMG]

13. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

James Dean had one worked on by Von Dutch. I forgive you. This one is of course a replica. As seen at the KKOA show in Salina.

Attached Files:

14. Wow, This really turned into an epic thread!

15. BlackJackPG

BlackJackPG
    from Idaho!

I'll admit it too, the Germans were on to something with these little cars.

[​IMG]

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this too... I've been Herbie (The Love Bug) fan since before I can remember. These cheesy old movies single handedly shaped my love for cars.

[​IMG]

"A VW is the poor man's Porsche!"

Pete

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Looks a little....foreign (sp)...to me. Lippy

17. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

18. racer756

racer756

Great thread!

We call em German Corvairs 'round here.

19. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

is this the end of the hamb as we know it? stay tuned, next time we celibrate yugoslavia's yugo! (you go)

20. Hey Rod, you guys still have the 34 Ford coupe up there in Oregon. I went to one of your VW swapmeets over 10 years ago. I was able to look at the 34. Sure be nice to see pictures of it. I have a 59 356 coupe in my stash of cars, plus a few VW's. Dean

21. skywolf

skywolf

How about one of these sporty little numbers ?

[​IMG]

22. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

<a href="http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k490/hotrodcomic/car%20photos/?action=view&amp;current=abi.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>>

Found this one hiding in my closet along with a dozen split window VW busses

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. That's my A. And my Oval. That's all I can add.

[​IMG]

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy shit Rod! You have taken metal fabrication to the next level . . . mind-blowing stuff. Welcome to the HAMB!

25. Now, that is one fine "Traditional German Hot Rod" in my opinion! This thread has certainly made my day. I've always had a soft spot for the sports cars, as well as the hot rods. Thanks to Ryan for starting the thread, and for you Rod, for joining in.

26. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't we fight a whole war so we didn't have to put up with fucking German shitbox cars?

Doc.

27. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thanks Ryan, Thanks Rod, what an amazing story, a great read.

28. striper

striper

The proof, as they say, is in the pudding:

Again, the proof is in the pudding:

The Porsches are fine Ryan. The problem is this common misuse of the saying, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating"

And you call yourself a writer :rolleyes:

;)

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just love cars. Bottom line. I appreciate the automobile in so many different forms. Where some people just love Fords, or Chevys, or call themselves Pontiac guys, or whatever, I like virtually all mechanized vehicles. Especially if they haul ass and handle well. I SORT OF understand why people have negative opinions of these cars, but I think there is a lot of truth in saying these cars, as well as several other European makes, inspired hot rods and customs post-war and currently.

Awhile ago, in the canyons above Whittier (CA), my buddy Maurice (http://www.dutchman-photos.com/) and I did a photo shoot with my buddy Sal, a big time Porsche guy. Now, I was already interested in early Porsches. I've always been a fan simply because of the heritage and dedication already mentioned here in this thread. Was sort of a bucket list car, if you will. But, then we met up with Sal and I finally got to see his 356A Coupe in person. Classic Porsche silver, sporty red interior and racing buckets, restored down to the stickers and upgraded with era-correct vintage racing parts. It absolutely RUINED me and the flame for the German sports car was hot again...

Sorry for the shameless plug. Only picture I have access to, at the moment. Was using it for a project for my blog....

[​IMG]

This car, as well as the 550 Spyder coupe was inspirational to me simply for the sake of the simple details and the quality of metal work and style.

[​IMG]

Like every other heap of crap I started out with, I'm starting on an early 911 RSR hot rod project just the same way. Going to be a lot of interesting metal work on the car when it's done. I've always wanted something to take to the track and pull hard in the corners with. But then, this car is FAR from being on-topic here. None the less... I just love cars.

[​IMG]

30. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Thanks! I was hoping there would have been more Volkwagens even though i'm not a bug person,every day i drive my son's Transporter to work,we built it the 'Traditional' way with hand tools {father & son project}tought him who to do the body/engine work- along with the evils of wiring! he has since gotten into older cars(maybe he's my son after all?:D) our Transporter is very 'Traditional' cold/bouncey bare minium cruiser! I was a foreign car hater til i starting with my son~on his German love!