Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Scrambler, 1960 - GMC 302 - 12 Port - Nitro - FED

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick Flores, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

A little bit of history on The Scrambler Dragster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Scrambler Dragster was built by Lowell Roemer and his brother in law, Dave Potillo, in 1960. The pair had previously raced a GMC 302 powered roadster and a purpose built racer was the natural progression.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car's first color combo was black and gold. Changed to yellow during the 1st or 2nd season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Homebuilt with tubing purchased from Smith Pipe & Steel in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]</st1:City>Phoenix</ST1:p, a company which Lowell and his father both worked for, the car was soon ready for competition all over the Southwest. Power for the new car was once again, the mighty inline 302.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This particular engine includes forged pistons, Chet Herbert roller cam, Vertex Magneto, Hilborn injection, Horning Accessory gear drive, and an extremely rare Wayne F Horning 12 Port Head that <st1:City w:st="on">Lowell</st1:City> purchased from a circle track racer in N<st1:State w:st="on">ew Mexico.</ST1:p</st1:State> Bob Blake, who had the first Stewart Warner dynamic balancing machine in the Phoenix area<ST1:p</ST1:p, took care to ensure that this nitro fueled beast would spin in perfect balance.

[​IMG]1960-something

Lowell and Dave raced the car from 1960 through 1965 in <st1:State w:st="on">Arizona</st1:State>, <st1:State w:st="on">New Mexico</st1:State>, <st1:State w:st="on">Texas</st1:State>, and <st1:State w:st="on"><ST1:pCalifornia</ST1:p</st1:State>. The Scrambler won 16 straight Middle Eliminator wins and held the record for fastest F/F/D, for its entire career. A typical pass was in the low 9.50&#8217;s at over 150mph.

[​IMG] May 5th, 2012

Here are a couple links to video of the car.

Lowell taking The Scrambler for a pass May 5th, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVE10bXWnTY

Beeline Dragstrip, 1963. Watch carefully at the 3:20 mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeyndbFO5tU&feature=watch_response_rev

Tuning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQJvBWRrGrQ

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
    Stogy, kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Too cool.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Kinky6

Kinky6

X2 Wow!

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. slant6racer

slant6racer

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Neat car. Here is a picture of my somewhat similar GMC. Has the same front drive. Pretty interesting. Used '49-53 Ford V8 distributor gears and another GMC cam gear to drive the cam, mag, fuel pump, external oil pump and water pump. I had two of the Charlie Baker castings of the Hourning/Fisher head. But in this picture I am using my Howard head.

Attached Files:

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Thats tough as nails. There was so much history in that shop. Nick, youre a lucky dude.
    Tammy and I had a real good time. It was great to meet the Phoenix cool network.
    Didja dig into the N/H yet? Ya got the chair behind it? Tammy took the truck to work so I havent been able to play with the Y block yet.
    Imagine trading a Y block for a Nail Head?? Whats wrong with you, Bro?????
    That was alot of fun teasing with everyone. A full set of push rods. 2 is a set right?

7. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

It was great showing you guys around yesterday. You'll have to come back November 10th for the Southwest Nostalgia Drags. We'll have the car out and ready to roll!

PS, I kept the other pushrods in case you shorted me some pistons!

8. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

kidcampbell71 and Countn'Carbs like this.
  9. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I laughed when I saw the guy walking around quickly filming the cars with his iPad :)

10. jchav62

jchav62

11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Yea, I needed an ashtray. Thats too funny.

12. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

We are searching for AHRA rule books from 1960, '61, '62, '63, '64, and '65. If you or anyone you know can help out with a copy or some info from these books, please shoot me a PM.

13. Nick, just saw the post about the rulebooks. One of the guys I work with at WildHorse has a couple early NHRA rulebooks if that helps any.

14. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

15. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Sorry about the big pics.

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. jerry

jerry

And I wonder why I can't here now days. Sitting on the front rail with the exhaust right in my ear!

jerry

17. squirrel

squirrel

I got to see the car this weekend in Tucson. They had pushrod problems. Looks like it's not the first time? Anyways, I got to hear it run...wild! And Lowell got inducted.

20150411_205756.jpg

18. Reidracer

Reidracer

I gotta ask because I'm baffled. What are the four vertical pipes running from the head? Can't be intakes and the exhaust is on the other side. They appear to have a flange where they attach... What are they? HUH.jpg

19. chriseakin

chriseakin

Maybe that's a photo from before they put the Wayne head on it?

20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I agree looks like exhaust.

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That is truly a photo of a stock GMC head. Looks like 5 Strombergs and the standard 4 exhaust pipes.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Reidracer

Reidracer

I guess I can stop searching for the "Ultra Rare" Wayne 16 Port head... and I can toss the plans for the weird balanced exhaust system configuration. Thanks

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was the best there was if you didn't have one of the 12 port heads.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

3 in and 4 out.

25. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Here's a cool shot of the roadster and I believe Dean Turks dragster from a magazine. I'm hoping to find out which magazine. [​IMG]

Countn'Carbs and Stogy like this.
  26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And sometimes bad things happen....

FrozenMerc and Stogy like this.
  27. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

We got pretty lucky on that one. Threw a rod, windowed the pan on both sides, but it didn't hurt the crank. There's a small nick in the pan rail to remind us about "that time".

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

D-Russ and Stovebolt like this.
  28. Wow is that cool. Music to my ears. I can't decide though if I would say the big balls are caused by driving that thing, or just the risk of damaging some almost irreplaceable parts. Either way, there's some big balls involved. Awesome.

D-Russ likes this.