Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Rust Ranch!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_DropOut, Apr 1, 2008.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, I don't feel nearly as bad about the floors I'm patching in mine right now! When I bought it I looked up under both sides and saw just a little "AZ" rust in the floor pans. stripped all the crap out and oy vay, what a mess. so it been getting individual pans on both sides. Our two projects look much the same under the carpet. I get to finish up the drivers side this weekend - oh joy, it's going to be 114 all weekend!

2. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Hey Louvers, Post some pics, we all love pics.

Keep the Rancheros rolling.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Unfortunately, I'm still a complete computer yutz, so posting pictures is a little out of my range until I can get someone to give me a hand. Mine is pretty much like yours, a '62, sort of a gold tan color, and getting new floors. I've got a fresh 170 for it, and it's getting a Weber two barrel carb and a polished Edelbrock valve cover. The only trick thing I'm doing - I just finished making an adapter to put a Borg Warner t-50 five speed behind the 170. Around here, our speed limits are mostly 65 and 75, and if your doing less than 85 you'll end up wearing a Hyundia or maybe a Kia. Keeping out ahead becomes priority. Other than a basic lowering, (two inch blocks and 11/2 coils coils cut) that's it.

4. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Tell me more about the adapter please? And I just read a post (started by me) that a 65-66 Mustang floor pan will fit a Falcon, Ranchero. I guess that there is a little bit of cutting that needs to be done in order for it to fit properly. (I dont know where these alterations need to be made yet.)

I'm just begining to rebuild my 200ci Six. I am wanting to install a T5 manual trans behind my 200. So give me some pointers on your adapter and all that was required to install it. Different drive line? Different rear axel? Special trans mount?

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No problem! And I learned how to post pictures over the summer too! I did a quick post on the adapter last night on a a thread called "Falcon rear ends". Just to quickly recap, I went from a 170 six cylinder to a Borg Warner T50. That was a common trans in late seventies and early eighties GM small cars. (Think Vega, Monza, Chevette,) It's a small compact, internal rail style trans with a first gear ratio of about 3.40, and a overdrive of .70. John Evans from here on the board did all of the machine work to do this deal, and lots of laughing at my engineering attempts as he told me the right way to set this up. I haven't had it in the car yet, but all my measurements show that it will fit right in the same location as stock. The adapter and trans are exactly the same length as a stock early 3 speed, so the drive shaft should fit with a simple slip yolk change. I have the left floor pan to do in my truck yet, but it finally cooled down so I can go out and work without risking my health and sanity. For now a couple of quick picts of the cool stuff.

Attached Files:

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

god, this reminds me of my little falcon ranchero i have sitting in my barn. Bought the car when i was 13 and have yet to drive it yet.

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

Good enough for the girls I go with!!! :D

[​IMG]

Kiddiin' aside... you did a great job repairing it! nice!!

8. Just Jones

Just Jones

Wow, great work! The Tiki Art is kick ass, too !

9. Hey dropout, I also have a '62 RANCHERO What color did you use? And now that you sealed the compartment under the rear window. Did you solve your shock problem? I'm going to use rear upper shock mounts from a Maverick. Mounted under the car. They are a flat peice of steel that has a place to hold a shock that has an eye on top. A reinforce peice of angle iron with a bolt would probobly work. Good luck Ken N.

10. Dropout! I had to wipe my eyes and blink when i did this search and found your posts!

Im in Australia and i found a 64 Ranchero about 20hrs away- Vic- Qld. It was on ebay and the seller seemed genuine. All questions i asked sounded like he was very thorough and knew what he was on about.

But when the truck rocked up- looking underneath it did not look so pretty.

I have been stripping it down since i got a few weeks ago- i hate rusted bolts btw, and the photos in your post look identical to the car i have sitting here so many miles/kilometres away!

But really how can u just say no to a car like these! You cant give up on them- its not there fault!

Any more updates? :)

11. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

UPDATES DELUXE: Thanks for the positive feedback and all the kudos from so many HAMB members. I love this place and it has been a great source of knowledge and insperation.

Here is a link to a video I just posted

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h1-HAhTs7Fo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h1-HAhTs7Fo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It is of me driving the Ranchero down some country roads in my home town of Portland Oregon.

Need Louvers: Thanks for the info on the adapter, I'll look up your detailed thread.

XPPetey66 from Down Under. Hell Ya! Lets see some photos and by all means get that machine on the road! Good luck, and here's to the moto "Don't let'm Die"

PapawFalcon: Color - John Deere Industrial Tan. Shock access. I have not dealt with that one yet. I like your idea and will keep that suggestion in the hat.

SpeedyJones: Thanks for the positive vibes on the art. I like them too. Might do more of that somewhere else. I should post a photo of my glove box. I had a great idea! Will share that later.

Currently I am in the process of building up a 200ci Inline 6. I have Schneider Racing Cam, Bored, and Decked (opted for compensated pistons to keep compression ratio at factory spec.) Nothing wild and wacky, just solid low end torque and freshness to ensure long life. I'll mate this motor up to either a 4 speed or a T-5 (most likely) if I can get my hands on one (I.E. afford one). I have a complete interior just dieing to be installed. I reciently applied a second coating of under coat goop. I belive this will cut down on interior racket, but it's hard to say right now, due to the lack of door seals. HA!

I'll keep this thread updated as time goes on. Thanks for reading about it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  12. Wow, I think this car came from Myrtle Point Oregon (coast). My friend Bob built it..he didn't do the floors though.

13. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

53Olds: LOL! He might have done the floors...before I got the car. There were street signs for patch pannels. Wood screws holding the street signs in place...firmly secured into the flaky rust that remained. The only thing that was actually done to this car, before I bought it, was rear lowering blocks installed and front coils cut. There were some cool taillight lenses and a wild, long (and impossible to use) shift lever. The shifter had a large plastic skull on it, which is hanging in my garage. It had some cool read flames too. I got this car from some old dude who got it as trade for something else. He had no clue who did what to the car, he had it for a few months at most.

I actually met two dudes at Billetproof 2009 who claimed that they owned the car. The first owner was an older guy with a grey gotee, and the other dude was younger, about my age, who is now a kick ass pin striper. I think he is the one who flamed the car pictured on the day I bought it. They were both impressed with how far the car has come since I've been its caretaker. Let your buddy know about this post is he is curious. I'm sure he'd be happy to see it again. I know I miss the cars I've sold in the past...who doesnt, we spend so much time on them we get attached.

NOW, here is the image of my glovebox that I had mentioned before. If I see any copy cats...I'll be flattered.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  14. Great Video mate! Awesome to see! I havn't been on the HAMB for long but definately a great bunch of guys- any questions i have i get so many responses. And just an all over good feel to this virtual place. Gives me a smile whenever i do my daily log in and a buzz for our hobby.

Gonna start a thread of my own- (gotta look up how to upload pics)- of my 2 cars.

Do u have 221 6cyl motors over there? We had them here from 67-68 and they apparently are the best out of 144/170/200/221/250 choices.

I agree with 5 speeds- i had a 221, nice headers, 5speed and 3.5 diff ratio and boy did it go well. I was going to put a 2v head on it ( i think over your way they make alloy ones new still!)

:)

15. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

17. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

You were very lucky this car did not buckle in two with the floors out. The floors are a major structural component on these. All you would have had to happen is have rotten rockers and bloop, real hard to fix. Any guys cutting out the floors I would advise to x brace the body and jack stand the subframes.

18. I believe the guy with the gotee is him..(Did he have a cowboy hat?) But I still don't think he did the floors, I think he bought it like that then painted it and lowered it..I'll see if I can find a pic.

19. Yeah the ford 6 has been the main stay for a long time. To the point where with the latest sports models XR series there was only 20kw difference between turbo 6 and v8 i believe- not much into the new stuff though so dont quote me :) But yes very popular.

The opposition to Ford- the Holden used Buick V6 motors to compete against.

Thanks for the links- will cruise through them thoroughly now!! :)

20. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Good Point. I check out the rockers, "A" pillars and other parts to ensure that the machine was stout. I also cut small amounts of floor out at a time. I did have jacks supporting the front half and rear half of the car when I did the final cut.

I did not know about "Xing" the frame when I did this project. I was lucky that all the doors still shut properly.

Thanks for pointing this safety concern out.

21. falconeer

falconeer

Drop out ,
    A little late to respond to your post about using a T-5 5 speed . From the looks an sound of your video, you solved the problens of installing the 5 speed to your 200 ci.engine. What rear end and what gear did you use. Also looks like you might have widened you wheel tubs an inch or so? All in all you have done a capital job on the cheero. I give you an AA++

Keep on Trucking:
    Butch Evans: (Falconeer)
    Thomasville NC

22. Broncoman75

Broncoman75

I would love! to hear more about this, are you guy making any extra adapters to sell? or could you hook a guy up with the details or a drawing? I have been wanting to put somthing like this in my 65 ranchero... I picked up a t-5, but I think its gonna be too long to use with the bench seat. you say the trans is a late 70s gm?

23. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Sorry to dissapoint, but the 200ci is still being built and the T-5 nothing but a dream right now. I'm still learning how I can go about installing one. And I still have to buy one. :) The welding on the rear tubs was not to widen the area, but to re-attach the tubs to the body!!! There was some rust running the entire length of the tub-to-bed area, So I figurued while I was welding that up I might as well weld up the gap around the tops of the tub. Not that I'm trying to make it a smoothie, I just figured that I might as well beef it up a bit.

I'll be the first to admit that some of the things I've done to this Ranchero could have been done in a different way, probably in a better way. I do appreciate all of the positive feedback and extra info / ideas.

The project still has a distance to go. I was kind of affraid that I would forget "How it Was", so I shot loads of video of me driving all around. I wanted to capture the clanks, bonks and sproings. YouTube seems to only have videos of cars burning out, fireing up for the first time or over dubed with loud music. I want to see a car just drive. And I realized that I could put my video on there and give some Ranchero lovers, or 170ci lovers or what not a chance to see and hear it with the way it is on a normal day.

Enough...Thanks again. Cherrio! pip-pip and all that rot!

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey DropOut!
    I went searching for some info today and came across your thread and bring it back to the top. Cool little video there. Last time I looked here, my computer was so sick it wouldn't play it, so now is the first chance I got to see it.
    My Ranchero has kinda been in a holding pattern for a bit... The only thing that sucks about building cars for a living is you never get to do yours! That's the long way of saying that the 5 speed deal is still untested. It will be up and running soon though, only it will end up in my girls new '62 wagon. That means that Ranchero ownership is basically mine now, and I don't have to build it to her tastes - cool! Unfortunately though, my cool, semi rare, four lug Tru-spokes and thin line whitewalls are now on her wagon, and I'm back to thirteens and caps. Funny how that works! Should have the wagon up in a few weeks to test the five gear.
    Any updates on your trucklet?

25. bugfink

bugfink

I think all the rust must have fallen out of those huge holes in the floor. I.E.- no rust!:D

26. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

We'll the Ranch has not been worked on for the past few months. I've been slowly putting the motor together. I found a cool way to deal with the gap at the wing window seals. I'll post photos in the next month.

I'm glad you get to build your ranch the way you want, and that your girl gets the bitchen wheels and tires...much better than a silly diamond ring.

Bugfink, your right! hhahaha.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I gotta second the diamond ring stuff!!!

28. voodoo1

voodoo1

Hey Dropout. I have a 1960 Rancho i'm working on. My rust is just in the lower quarters. It has the 170 with 3spd. I would like to put a different trans in it. And also disc up front. One of my many projects. Mike

29. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

What rust did the seller claim to fix...wow....on a happier note....good save!

30. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Yo VooDoo1! Alright Brother! Keep them Cheros on the road. I just met a dude this weekend who installed Maverick disk up front, Mustang dual resivoir master cylendar and new brake lines. Man did that look slick and he said it was really easy. Add another #%*@&! thing to my TO-DO list. hahahah

Gasser Dood: He took care of the rust at the very back of the rear 1/4 pannels...or so he claims.

Side Note: Does anyone have a carb spacer for a 1969 200ci inline-6 Ford. I really need one bad. The below image shows what measurements I need. The carb I want to run is an Autolite 1101A which is 1100's biger brother. The Autolite 1101A was comminly used on Mustangs, Mavericks and trucks w/ the 235ci / 250ci inline-6's. If anyone has one, knows of a repop, NOS or what ever. LET ME KNOW!! I'm loosing sleep over this one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014