Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Russell DeSalvo 1932 Ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsters.com, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Russell DeSalvo built this flawless three-window coupe, shown here as it looked in 1964.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although he built it mainly for car shows, he saw no need to modify any of the bodywork. In fact, he told me that there isn't a single hole anywhere in the body or the dash that wasn't put there at the Ford factory.

Russell did everything he could himself, including the restoration of the body, block-sanding and painting it, and fabricating the seats from expanded metal with frames made of tubing. The upholstery is white pearl Naugahyde. He chromed the dash, and went to the local Ford dealer and bought a new 1962 Thunderbird steering wheel.

In 1964, a car show promoter paid him to take the car to shows around the country, where he slept in the trailer. At the Grand National Roadster Show, he parked his trailer inside and was given the key to the place so he could come and go, and also served as one of the night watchmen.

Russell originally built the car with the injected Buick Nailhead with a Joe Hunt magneto shown here, but it never ran right on the street. After finishing with the show circuit, Russell pulled the Nailhead, took out the magneto, and machined it to fit the Ford 289 that he installed.

He used a '39 Ford transmission with Zephyr gears. He also bought a Halibrand quick-change for it, but he told me that he decided that he just didn't want to cut up the original '32 rear crossmember to install it.

He still has the car, and it looks just as you see it here, except for the 289 and a pair of stock running board covers. The same Dupont nitrocellulose lacquer that he sprayed on more than forty years ago is still completely flawless.

The American Racing magnesium wheels had started to show their age, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Magnesium wheels that have been left bare for 44 years are going to need a bit of help.

[​IMG]

Russell sprayed the wheels with Gibbs Brand: http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

[​IMG]

After letting it soak in for a few days, he went over the machined surfaces with Scotch-Brite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These wheels have never had any paint on them. The magnesium has aged to a dark patina, which would have been destroyed had he bead-blasted them.

People keep telling him to update the car, and he keeps telling them they can keep their glass and billet street rods.

He's been invited to show the car at the 2009 Grand National Roadster Show.

Dave Mann
    http://www.roadsters.com/

bowie, Deescott and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

3. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Stunning! Love the wheels and the lettered tires. Love the whole car!

4. casper

casper

The car looks perfect to me!

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

when they are built right there is no need to "update". That car is timeless.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Hard to believe he never sold it to some dumbass who fucked it up! That's so cool that he still owns it! Can't wait to see it next year...

7. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Current day pics??????

8. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

good for him, telling those guys where they can go!

beautiful '32!

9. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Saw the car when it was shown at the Portland Roadster Show in 1966. Remember seeing it like it was yesterday, from its flawless black paint to the magnesium wheels the car was outstanding!...........

10. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Yes, this car really is a heartbreaker.

It's seldom I see a hot rod that doesn't have a few things that I'd want to change, but what's to change here? It's right.

Current pictures are in the works, but it really looks exactly the way it was shown here, same flawless paint and everything except for the aforementioned running board covers and a nicely-detailed 289.

Russell is a pretty nice guy, too, with a small ego. He was genuinely flattered when I showed my appreciation for what he built.

Attached are some more of the pictures that he sent me.

Dave

Attached Files:

11. Muttley

Muttley

That car is perfect.

12. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Russell made one other change from these pictures that I forgot to mention earlier: the white trim around the back fenders is now black.

Dave

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Great thread Dave!

14. rustymetal

rustymetal

that car has it all what would i give ?

15. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

As soon as I saw the title I knew what car you were talking about. I just stare at it in Southard's book. It's really incredible that he still has the car and like Bad Bob said nobody fugged it up. Those wheels look great now Dave. Please tell me what sizes they are. 15 x6 fronts and 15 x7 rear? I need to talk to Corker Coker and get him to make those tires again! They're perfect for us guys that are stuck in the 60's. Great car and story, thank you - Scott

16. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

That car rules! Current pics would rule as well!

17. alchemy

alchemy

Don't update, backdate! Put the Hilborn 'n Hunt Nailhead back in it.

18. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Love that car...I envy guys who are able to keep cars like that for sooo long.

19. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

What a tease! If the wheels and tires still look like that lets see the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. bad ass ride ..

21. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I agree I'd love to be able to get a set of those tires for my car. When white letter tires where made subtle like that they looked really good.

It's too cool to know such a great car has survived all these years with the same owner. No regrets there.

22. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Attached Files:

23. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...man...

bowie and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I really like the car ... and I understand it's history and all ... :)
    But as a 6 foot 2 inch overweight old guy ... I would have to change those seats to something I could sit in for more than 20 minutes ... Cause I would be driving it ... A LOT :D :D

25. Cool thread with a Gibbs ad slipped in for good measure;)

26. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

It wasn't an ad. It was a public service announcement.

"And it's a great dessert topping!"

27. Russ D

Russ D
    from Colo.

I agree, I just had pictures taken of the Car to send to the Show Promoter in Pamona.. I sent copies to Dave (Roadstsers.com) he will be Posting them soon on the H.A.M.B.. & also on his site..
    Hope you are not disapointed>>
    Russell

P.S. If you are in a hurry send me your e-mail address I will send you some shots of the Deuce..

28. Can't wait to see it in person!!!

29. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I remember that car from 1964-65 in the Denver Sabers car show and other shows around Denver area. I loved that car, still do. I redid my 5W interior somewhat like his. Pearl white, took out the trunk panel. We both competed in the show's "coupe and sedan class", of course he beat me big time. I still own my 5W too, but it has been redone completly. I hope he shows it next year, would love to see it again after all this time.