Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Rube Goldberg Disaster of 2021

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 12, 2021.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well done Ryan! You tested and proved the concept; now when does the
    "HAMB Happenstance" game go into production and will it be available as Christmas merch?

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  2. That is honestly the first thing that came to mind. HRP

ClayMart likes this.
  3. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

....you're not going to believe this but had a crash without even leaving the garage....and I wasn't driving

Nostrebor and Thor1 like this.
  4. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Yeah. The whole "My coupe was involved in a multi-vehicle accident, while parked in my shop, while I was not there." this irony didn't hit me until you just said that. Try to explain that one to an adjuster.:eek:

hotrodjack33 and loudbang like this.
  5. Rockchip

Rockchip

Sad to see the damage. Good to have friends in time of need. Moral of the story: Don't save ugly wheels.

vtx1800 likes this.
  6. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got off lucky @Ryan , its cool that the metal on the coupe, got fixed as quickly as it did. Going forward after you have fabricated a new safety railing for your loft, I would suggest the addition of chicken wire or hardware cloth fastened with the larger fence mending staples to keep the smaller rolling things from having a similar "gravity party" as well !

hotrodjack33, Joe Blow and Hnstray like this.
  7. You beat me to it. That or some Wile E Coyote acme fueled plot.

ClayMart likes this.
  8. When I first saw the damage I thought you were going to tell us that the coupe was gonna get some shiny paint as a result to getting all of the damage repaired. But then Mr. Tardel worked his magic. I'm glad it wasn't worse. I'm guessing you're going to construct a railing in the near future?

9. belair

belair

So it is true...shit buffs out. Those ugly wheels are to blame. Americans, Cragars or Halibrands would never have participated in such hooliganism.

hotrodjack33 and Nostrebor like this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

In a sense, the coupe was bombed by a German...

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

ummmm…yeah……the ‘bicycle was at fault’…..clearly :cool:

My ‘waterloo’ was a gas tank……:oops:

“When you need an excuse, any will do”……..Anonymous

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  12. bchctybob

bchctybob

Glad it didn't do worse damage and that you got it fixed already. I had a similar debacle in my loft but mine was self-inflicted. I was trying to chase a cat out of the loft by throwing something at it and I started the avalanche. Oops.
    It's these little misadventures that give us something interesting to talk about over a beer or six.

hotrodjack33 and Joe Blow like this.
  13. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Murphys Law strikes again. But at least it wasn't you falling out of the loft and landing on the coupe.

Nostrebor and hotrodjack33 like this.
  14. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

15. If it was a bias ply it would have followed the gap in the flooring. Plunging right onto the roof and caused more damage. ;)

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  16. I scrounged some old railings off the scrap guys truck for my mezzanine. IMG_6565.JPG

Thor1 likes this.
  17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nostrebor and Thor1 like this.
  18. brady1929

brady1929

Glad you got it fixed so quickly.

19. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Im always worried about shit hanging in garage and a 10 dollar part ruins a paint job

j3harleys likes this.
  20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As long as it wasn't THE German.
    Maybe a subconscious message to call him to catch up.

Thor1 likes this.
  21. j3harleys

j3harleys

I don't have a loft, But I will be going to the garage today to look around and see WHAT IF !

Thor1 and Hnstray like this.
  22. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Knowing my better half when I built my garage with a second story for storage, I put in an enclosed staircase with
    a handrail for safety. Bonus is when I put in heat/a/c it means the 2nd floor is completely isolated.

Thor1 likes this.
  23. Glad it wasn't any worse and you already have the car fixed. Uhhh, any chance you could rent Keith to me for a few days?
    I was dumb enough to try and change a heavy ballast in an old 8 ft. fluorescent fixture with my coupe parked underneath. Ballast got away from me resulting in a dent to the top, bounced down and scratched up my candy gray primer on the tulip panel.

Thor1 and olscrounger like this.
  24. Your vacuum cleaner attachment should be fine to spray some more candy primer

Thor1 likes this.
  25. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy crap, that snowballed quickly. I´m glad you got this buffed out already... when I built my garage I was eager to put my cars in. Bad idea. I was drilling holes through the steel beams to attach the wood siding... drilling through there I thought " shouldn´t I better move the cars, just in case" when my drill bit caught. You know, just when you are breaking through and have to much pressure on your drill, they sometimes catch. My drill has the drill bit spanner stuffed into the handle, and the abrupt movement sent this little fu**er flying over my cars. It first hit the trunk lid of my 65 Riviera, then jumped over onto the 62 Impala´s trunk and missed the tailfin of the 56 just by an inch or so... I felt so sick I just went and grabbed a beer before I had the guts to look at the carnage.
    I called my painter buddy and let him know I´d show up with two cars in 15 mins. He´s getting free haircuts ever since , hahaha

Attached Files:

Thor1 likes this.
  26. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I felt terrible laughing at the description of how, but could not stop. Sorry your coupe was damaged, glad it's repaired! And you got a damn good story out of it...

Thor1 likes this.
  27. Hey Rocky,
    Since it’s damaged beyond repair,,,,,think you might want to trade it off now to lessen the pain in your heart !
    I know,,,you could gift it to me,,,,,and then you wouldn’t be embarrassed to be seen in it .
    I believe I could suffer through ,,,,and get by driving it,,,,,somehow at least,,,,,,LoL .
    Just kidding man .

Tommy

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Thor1 likes this.
  28. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Sorry to have this happen.
    Thanks though for reminding me…I have a loft in my garage, with no railing.
    Gonna fix that.

Thor1 likes this.
  29. indyjps

indyjps

Thats horrible. Im headed out to the garage to throw every bicycle in the trash.

Happy to see its all fixed up.

j3harleys and Thor1 like this.
  30. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Your garage/office/warehouse is one nice place. It has plenty of space and storage. But, one situation will make you think twice about above “important stuff” storage is secure for the future.

My brother lived in a warehouse garage storage building next to Yater Surfboards in Santa Barbara. He built a huge platform for his second floor bedroom/study. Along the wall from his look down balcony, he built a long storage area for his books and other saved stuff over the years.

The place was very cool and had the atmosphere of a 60’s loft and workplace. His cars and motorcycle were down below and he also had a nice area below the platform above as his living room/kitchen. There were two bathrooms in the whole area.

At any time, he could walk next door to the Reynolds Yater Surf Shop and watch him shape/glass his new designs. But, his own workshop garage was spread out on the lower lever. One day, he explained almost the same thing. A minor disturbance moved a box, which moved an old lamp, that fell on a small table, which tumbled off the platform down on to the bike and cars.

It was a small dent in the car fender/hood and one on his street Katana motorcycle. Nothing he could not fix. But, he did not claim any insurance, as it was his fault for not securing the stuff on the upstairs platform.

Months later on another visit, he had built a railing secure enough to keep anything from falling, except maybe for a 7.0+ earthquake.

Jnaki

We used to have stuff in the rafters and they were always tied down with straps for earthquake protection. The cars were more valuable than the stuff strapped above.

Jump up plenty of years and our son had one of the modern metal racks on the underside of his garage roof. The racks were strong enough to hang on and do pullups. But, the racks became full as the family grew and so did their stuff.

I told him about getting some kind of barrier or straps to cover the opening sides, but he said it was ok, the weight of the stuff would keep it from sliding. Ok, for the most part. But, as the stuff (projectors and editing machines) became "stand bys," they took their place in those racks. Now, the bullets are in place for the next earthquake. He was looking into a webbing alternative for the open sides.

In the words of the Dale Bozzio of the Missing Persons:

Do you hear me
    Do you care
    Do you hear me
    Do you care
    My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
    The words are audible but I have my doubts
    That you realize what has been said
    You look at me as if you're in a daze
    It's like the feeling at the end of the page
    When you realize you don't know what you just read
    What are words for when no one listens anymore
    What are words for when no one listens
    What are words for when no one listens it's no use talkin at all...

YRMV

Thor1 likes this.