Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Rosebud Modified: a Build Thread (pre war/ wartime single seat roadster)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PeteFromTexas, May 23, 2015.

1. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

EDIT: Sorry for some of the bad photos. Some of these are off my Instagram account. (RosebudCustoms) if you want to follow.

I started this build a few years ago and I put it in the rafters not long after getting started.

It's been a long time since I have been on the HAMB. I figured I would make a comeback and restart this build thread now that I have started this build and made some progress.

I started with a 1928 Chevy frame and quarters with a 1926 Chevy cowl that I picked up for $125 from a local welder.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

About a year after putting the project away I decided that I wanted something different. I didn't want a standard roadster. I was thinking something along the lines of the Hilborn Modified, The Phil Remington modified or a prewar build based on the designs of the 1920's-1940's Indy 500 cars.

Here is some of my inspiration.

Attached Files:

3. Looks pretty damned fun. Then what happens ?

4. silent rick

silent rick

i'll be watching for sure. always loved the early lakes era

THE235KID likes this.

5. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

More inspiration.

Attached Files:

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Thanks! Stay tuned. I have a ton of pics and progress to post from the last year of working!

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

After dragging all the parts in the shop I sold off all the body parts to the Chevy roadster and just had a pair of frame rails to start with. I dug through my parts pile and came up with a 40 Ford banjo rear, a complete 36 Ford front suspension. After removing the crossmembers I laid it all out to get a feel for what I am working with.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Following this, Pete can't wait for more.

volvobrynk and THE235KID like this.
  9. silent rick

silent rick

with the chevy frame, why not a 3 springer?

10. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That a great idea. I thought about it but I'm on a budget and I'm building this car like a kid in the 30's or 40's would. With the parts that are laying around or available quickly at swap meets or from the local yard. My chassis was just the rails so I would have to source all the front end parts. Not easy here in my neck of the woods. My next one will be a 3 springer or in true early Indy fassion and do parallel leafs all the way around.

volvobrynk and Robert J. Palmer like this.
  11. silent rick

silent rick

that's what i thought after posting and looking at the photos, the frame didn't come with any suspension.

i still go back to the thread that jimmyb started with all those vintage photos on the lakes.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/modifieds-as-they-were-pre-ww2.149631/

how's that for some inspiration? i was heading towards a single seat build myself but decided to go full body width with my 27 T.

i'd still like to have a go at a 40's era lakes modified build one day.

have fun with the build

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  12. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

QUIT with the inspirational pictures, will `ya? you`re about ready to inspire me, and i got enough projects! :cool:
    this is the one that really rings my bell.
    [​IMG]

motorntv, volvobrynk and THE235KID like this.
  13. Very cool. I've started a similar build myself. Life is getting in the way though, ha!

14. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I took a part of the day and put all the parts together. A quick mockup and a lot of measuring and I came up with a wheel base of 100 inches and a frame width of 22 inches. I also traded for some pretty nice 19 inch Model A wheels and tires.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. 117harv

117harv

image.jpg

You have my attention, just the kind of stuff I like.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I media blasted the frame and stuck it up on my small welding table to start making a temporary chassis jig. My table isn't very big and I don't have the resources to build a full blown frame table at the moment. After setting the ride height with some jackstands I took some sticks of 1/4 wall 2x3 tube and laid some base rails for the jig. Once they were leveled I tied them all together and built some uprights to hold the rails in place. Leveled out and things tacked on to place and I'm ready to start thinking about axle placement, motor setback and crossmembers.

Attached Files:

Shadow Creek and volvobrynk like this.
  17. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

18. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

with all that iron laying around, looks like it might be powered by a six cylinder? . . . cool!
    tom

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

You wod be correct sir. Let's just say I have a thing for Stovebolt Chevys

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Quite a few years back I picked up this 48 Chevy 216 six cylinder. It's a running engine that I know is a good candidate for a full build. It's getting a complete tear down, modified for insert bearings, full pressure oil system, healthy over bore, forged aluminum pistons, a compression bump from adding material to the combustion chamber and a full ported and polished head. I haven't made up my mind but it's either getting a custom side draft intake with Riley carbs or a full Nicson set with the matching side plate, rocker cover and my Nicson 2x1 racing intake with Stromberg BXOV carbs or Carter W1's. The exhaust will be made from scratch. I don't want to use my NOS Clark set and there aren't many other options for a correct set of headers.
    (The big truck PTO trans is coming off)

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. greybeard360

greybeard360

You have my mind racing now.... I have a 235 sitting in the shop taking up space. Just need a front axle.... springs.... rear spring ..... this could be cool. The GF would have to follow me in her car :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

As I mentioned before, I have a 36 Ford front suspension. I had a couple different front crossmembers but I couldn't find one that I was happy with. So, time for a suicide perch. I grabbed some 3.5 inch 1/4 inch wall round tube and fit it to the front. I split the rails and fully welded the tube to the frame walls. The upper and lower parts are wrapped around the tube, plug welded and fully welded around the outside edge. I didn't want the typical welded in look. This will eventually get some rivets to complete the look.

Attached Files:

Shadow Creek and volvobrynk like this.
  23. Is there any other engine?

Frame and crossmember look very good.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Shit yeah... This is gonna be good.

THE235KID and volvobrynk like this.
  25. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Thanks Ryan

26. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Thanks buddy!

27. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Now that the front crossmember is tacked in place and the frame is leveled and straight it was time to mock up the front and rear axles. The front is a 36 Ford stock height with the stock spring. I removed a few of the leafs to get the desired ride height.

On to the rear.

I have an old junker 1940 model banjo sitting around so that's what this car is getting. I was given a Model A rear spring and with a few leafs removed it is going to sit right where I want it to.

At the time I wasnt real sure what I wanted to do for the rear crossmember. I had some pieces from a Model A rear, some tubing like the front. I couldn't decide so I just put in a piece like the front for now. It is only temporary. There is still some trimming, setting the wheelbase and pinion angle before I get to much further.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

The following day I whipped up some CAD designs for front spring perches and cut them out on the plasma table at work. Set the desired caster angle (I think I did 7°) and tacked it on. Time to remove the jig from the table and get it on the ground with the frame still attached.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I seem to recall the old time modified builders turning the frame rails upside down.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

A lot of them did. I'm not big on the underslung look. I chose to go this route based on looks and true functionality. (Is that a word?)

volvobrynk likes this.