Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Rodders Journal moving to Richmond, VA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Everyone needs lunch before dessert! And a little drive in between would allow for more ice cream to be consumed!

Eastern NC barbecue would do just fine for our mid-day meal, and there's none better than what we have in Greenville...Just ask @phartman ! ;):D

2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^ Er, Ed, this thread ain't about politics or brains... just ice cream and TRJ moving to VA!
    What ya say we keep it to that?
    Thanks

Shutter Speed, 5window and da34guy like this.
  3. ^^^ Name's not Ed, but I'll heed the advice...;)

Hamtown Al likes this.
  4. 52lomofo

52lomofo

Thanks again

Hamtown Al likes this.
  5. verde742

verde742

I have issues 11 thru 73 For Sale for price on cover, plus shipping..

PERFECT CONDITION...

6. catdad49

catdad49

Didn't know this was going to be an international event! Wow, go Big or go home?!

7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^ There will probably be six of us but all are welcome.:)
    We got plenty of ice cream!;)

8. OK, that raises the burning question: who are the six people that are welcome? Based on this thread, I can start the list for everyone, and I'll let Al fill in the other four welcomed guests. ;)

1. @Hamtown Al
    2. @TRJ Steve Coonan

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^ ALL are welcome! Who are the six that are coming?
    Russ, you left yourself off!! :eek: You can't be doing that when I've been preaching how smart we are!:eek:
    I said only six will show likely finally show but ALL, I repeat "ALL!" are welcome.:)
    Virginia hospitality and all that!!;)
    I encourage each of you to add your name and we will take attendance at ice cream parlor.;)
    As I think about it, I probably lied as Steve may well bring 5 folks with him! I don't care what the number is as long as he brings them all. This is, after all, a "Welcome to Virginia, TRJ Ice Cream Revival."
    Who else hopes to come?
    D-Russ, you should be number 1 on list!;)

10. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Your pal that egged it on should be number 2!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. I'd love to attend, but the only time I will be to eastern VA this year will probably be after Jalopyrama. That is most likely too soon for the TRJ group. Have fun!

Phil

Hamtown Al and jim snow like this.
  12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Send me your address, Phil, and we can mail your ice cream!;):D:D

13. I guess I am X4... While not in the publishing business I have worked in organizations that had publications. Print media is very hard. Not just what to print but number of pages, keeping advertisers happy. Rough business. Plus we are in an age where everyone wants to receive an event,mag, experience... no one wants to be involved in the work to put one on. You want this mag? Get the word out and get people to subscribe. Stop bitching,

Nailhead Jason, Hamtown Al and D-Russ like this.
  14. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Al !
    Could you send some to Brrmont? I'll guarantee it won't melt !

lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Anybody got any updates?

16. .............Haven't heard anything. Guess no news is good news.:D...Think they may have been spotted in Mid America.:D;) ScreenShot2014-07-10at81804AM_zps931c0a3b.jpg 1959-U-Haul-Truck.jpg

Scooterville and Hamtown Al like this.
  17. First day in Richmond for the team. The second truck arrived this morning and the staff is moving into their new digs just North of the city. Exciting for us, and glad to have them part of our business community.

18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^ 3WLarry would be asking about pictures... just saying.:D

Thanks for the update. Hope all is going well. Please give them our best.

lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  19. Get the presses running. I'm suffering issue withdrawal.:D;)

20. Date/time/location?:)
    Or did I completely miss it?

21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Gary, you haven't missed it... you almost won't be able to miss the date, time, location stuff!
    It is going to be in Smithfield, VA so find a map or use your phone... if you are able!:D
    The Rodders Journal folks are going to have to get settled and somewhat caught up before they will likely have time to travel to Smithfield.
    While we're anxious to have them for ice cream, and a bit more!; we've promised to let THEM set the date as they know the demands of their business best.
    I'm hoping that many fellas will be able to join us... everybody is going to be welcome! We don't care what you drive as long as you get here.;) IMG_3578_LI.jpg
    I'll keep ya posted. Talk it up in your area and try to get a group to join us when the time comes.
    Once we get a planned date I'm expecting the fellas to chime it about coming to the Ice Cream Revival!;):)

lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Email today gave the new address in Ashland, VA as 9415 Altee Commerce Blvd Suite E I think.
    Already laid out scenic, and quick;), route and it looks like 85 miles. Software says hour and a half; probably a few minutes less. Of course, with my new 425 dual quad Buick...:D:D

BTW, TomT you'll have to swim the river or take the ferry over to join us.:eek::D
    I bet ol sly Tom will be politicking for them to come down the peninsula and through Williamsburg... where he just happens to live!:D:D
    I don't really care what route any and everybody takes as long as you get to Smithfield in time for some ice cream.;):):)

23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Pictures?
    3WLarry would say, "Patiently waiting."

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  24. Tom T and I drove to the Atlee Road area North of Richmond for lunch yesterday, then visited with TRJ team at their new digs. Watch the TRJ Instagram page for pics of our "Rod & Custom" visit- Tom's new killer '32 5-window and my '40 Tudor mild custom.

Editor Steve Coonan gave us the tour, then asked that we spread the word to give them another week so they can finish arranging the space before opening officially. In fact, there may be a volunteer reader and friends work day before the opening in order to help them move boxes and such. There are 3 tractor trailer loads of stuff in the new building, including pieces of Steve's new '32 build, along with his extensive wheel and tire collection. So we may need to help organize a day just rearranging all the stuff and getting Steve's studio set up (he has space for full photo shoots, and a ramp into the the building).

They plan to have a modest visitor's area and store up front, and look forward to readers and fans dropping by. Very exciting.

25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thanks for the update. I'll run up for a volunteer work day if I can. Ought to be soon if really going to help.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. Thanks for the update, Pete. What an incredible undertaking this move must have been and continues to be. So cool to have them on the East Coast. Exciting times for sure...............Don.

27. From Steve's blog, about yesterday's visit to the new world headquarters of TRJ:

[​IMG]
    "Now that we’re in Virginia, the setup process has begun. As much fun as unpacking is, we would much rather be hanging out with you guys. Here’s longtime Richmond hot rodder Pete Hartman’s ’40 Ford sedan alongside Tom Trovato’s Deuce five-window in our new parking lot in Ashland, Virginia."

Steve tells me that a move-in party for volunteers to help unpack and sort gear is in the works. Stay tuned for a date and time. He reminds me that weak minds and strong backs will be needed. I assured him we are just the guys for the job.

28. I am available to help for a couple days starting Monday after Jalopyrama, before we head for home.

Phil

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Pete, I hope you are not over selling our abilities in terms of strong backs:eek: but I am quite confident that enough of us will figure a way to get together and move anything Steve wants moved.;):D:D
    I'm certain we'll also get a number of free "supervisors" in the bargain but I'm certain it will be great fun... even if a bit tiring.:) Of course, getting most of this crowd to work hard enough to be really get tired will likely be a challenge in itself!:D:D
    Welcome to VA!!
    And to the surrounding area!!
    Let's hurry up so we can have the Ice Cream Revival!! I am certain this crowd is all up for ice cream!!;):D

D-Russ, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.