Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Rodders Journal #47

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HJmaniac, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Judging by the two pics this issue is partially a recap of the last 15 years?

2. Rikster

Rikster

Right!

3. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Yes. It is grouped by feature style. Engines, bare metal cars, customs, etc. I enjoyed it.

Jay

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great news, Barns & Noble here didn't have it and I got worried. Had a gift subscription years ago and it always arrived in good condition, but after the newstand release.

5. BCR

BCR

Judging by the cover, that could cause partial paralysis if read in the "Oval office"

The best publication ever in my opinion. I wait for this thing like a kid waits for Christmas.

6. There it is!

7. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

I know how ya feel, I drove a hundred miles, sat through an afternoon of my daughters gymnastics meet, followed my wife and kids through all the stores shopping, made it to Barnes and Nobles five minuets before they locked the doors to get my copy of the new
    Rodders Journal, and WTF, none on the shelf. I look forward to that last stop before we head for home, it makes the hole day of running around worth it....now I have something to look forward to on the next trip.....Scott

8. mine arrived in the mail this morning, i got some bed time reading for tonight.
    Al.

9. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I got my advance copy and its the best yet ,Its great as always and Im just a Little partial to this issue cause I consider it an honor to have made a page ,sort of a coming of age, at least in my mind and my world

Tony

10. Congrats- I will look for you.

11. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

i went to a local barnes n nobles the other night and saw the one issue of Rodders Journal on the stand and it looked like someone used it to beat up a metal shopping cart

12. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

MANIAC...you certainly did miss something, ISSUE NO. 47...POP.

13. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Well , did everyone get thier copy in the mail yet? Still waiting on mine ,should I be worried yet?

14. Didn't get mine yet.....

15. Master of None

Master of None

16. ...still waiting.

17. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

can someone give a heads up when its on the stands? thanks

18. This might be one of the best issues..Picked mine up yesterday at All Ford Parts in Campbell( for the local guys going threw withdrawls )...

19. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

I got mine in the mail a couple days ago. It's a good issue as far as eye candy goes but there's not much new. Unfortunately, the asians seem to be having more trouble printing them with sufficient quality; several of my pages were not cut correctly and consequently were stuck together along the top edge. At least they weren't falling out of the binding as with the previous issue.

20. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Never had any of these problems. Should I be worried folks?

21. bigolds

bigolds

I gonna go into the "library" and sit down....maybe the package will show up!!! Long wait til Monday though...my legs will probably fall asleep too!!!

22. I think it's lame. A whole lot of pictures revisited and not much to read. And saying not everyone has all the issues is a weak justification. And running a single pic across the gutter of a double page spread in a perfect bound publication is just dumb. It sucks about a foot out of the wheelbase of a car and lines often don't line up. You can put up with it in cheap, thin mags, but not this.

23. X38,
    i too was dissapointed with this issue. i like to see new stuff. the highlight for me is the spread on the late bill mussetts deuce coupe.
    Al.

24. Got mine here in Oz last week, and to be honest I thought it was a little lame.........the pics maybe "new" or at least ones that were not used in the original issue but its mostly all rehash and I would have prefered a lot more new stuff for my $34.00 Aust............still its better than a lot of the crap rod kulture garbage that pretends to be a hot rod magazine.........andyd

25. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

My 2 c worth.

I have every issue, I was a subscriber until the service got so bad, that it became a lot quicker for me to get TRJ from a sub-dealer of the Australian distributor, and the poster incentive to subscribers was lost.

Its still the best magazine around ..... period

But ....

Over the last couple of years its been a bit off its game.

A while ago there was much discussion right here about the page listing the details of the car, and how we thought it needed to come back. Did people power work ...... No.

Then we discussed the content, especially the "golden Submarine" and the NasCar-inspired 35 Chev sedan, and dare I say the 35-38 ford truck ....... we all have our likes and dislikes of the cars featured. Has it improved ..... not in this issue.

I just feel that the editorial content (if thats what the choice of vehicles is called) would reach the same high standards as it previously reached, if some consideration was given to the types of vehicles and historically significant folks that were previously chosen, and got the magazine its "cred" over the first 12 years.

like others I looked forward to buying this issue, snapped it up asap, opened it up and saw ....... nothing new!!!!!

Please .... its time to stop the self congratulating intraspective view of the last 15 years expressed in print, and get on with showing us new features of cars that have not appeared in TRJ - whether or not they've appeared in any other magazine.

Hopefully the thoughts expressed here will filter back to Steve and his crew, as I for one want to feel excited by what I see, in awe of the traditional aspects of the cars we look at, smile at the anecdotes we read and enjoy this high quality magazine that I would still dream of getting my hot rod featured in one day.

26. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

I have issues 1 to 32 , funds stopped me getting them here, they work out real expensive here in NZ , would like to complete my set ,Ive always treated my RJ's as top shelve iteams,and would like to in the future .

27. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

WOW! You guys have received your subscription copies in Australia before I've gotten mine here in the Buttcheeks of Maryland? Figures?!
    #!!!%&&*!!# fourth class postage?
    Enjoy,none the less!

28. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

You say they should get on with it. The problem is that they can't get on with it until next quarter! You only get four a year, so each one had better be good. If one issue is disappointing (and this one, for me, is) then you're gonna feel like you only got 3/4ths value from your subscription.

Another thing about this issue, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is that I think they just re-ran pictures from previous issues. In other words, there weren't even new angles of cars previously featured...just the same photos as before. This is kinda lame in my opinion. If you're going to show us the same stuff again, at least show it in a different way.

James

29. 5window

5window

Well, I can't really comment on the content since I haven't gotten my issue yet! Sure would like to know the mailing schedule since it always gets here well after most have posted-but after Australia?

I will be disappointed if it's just a rehash. Some repeats are fine-ala Street Rodder having a page on what their mag was like 20 years ago. But, on the whole, TRJ is one of the more expensive periodicals and I would expect to see content reflecting that. So far, I'm just excited it might be here soon.

30. Anniversary update, my binding is coming apart after a week. Fuck me, it's one thing to rehash content, but to go the whole nine yards and re-do the shitty binding of issue one is too much!

5window, we get ours direct from Asia, via the local distributor here.

I should add, that's unless we sub from TRJ, then it takes ages.