Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Rise and Fall of Orange County Int'l Raceway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, Nov 3, 2008.

1. There is a cool face Book group Memories of O.C.I.R.

2. My '57 raced there, I'm looking for pics if anyone has any! At the time (70's/early 80's) it would have been radiused with no lettering, a much large hood scoop, and a big 427 under the hood. Ran a 10.90 @ 131mph at OCIR.
    -Dean

Attached Files:

3. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Once upon a time Irvine had orange groves and a drag strip. It's hard to believe.

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Post # 60,Ken"RACER"Brown still races that yellow Chevy,much lower now,still quick!! ROY.

5. jaxx

jaxx

I remember the 1st California Nitro Jam at OCIR - live band - streeker - jet cars - it was kooooool - race my Scamp there 1972 - 1975 - Great times - Jaxx

6. 296ardun

296ardun

Was lucky enough to have been there, remember in particular Larry Bower's clutch explosion, saw it happen and then realized that some of the shrapnel had hit a spectator in the knee....we never thought it would close even though most other strips were gone by that time....

7. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I remember once when I was doing the paint and lettering on one of Tom McEwens' Coors funny cars , I said to Tom " I hear they're thinking of closing OCIR" . Tom looks at me like I'm crazy , and says to me " what the hell else do you put between a freeway and a Marine base ?". Well they put in office buildings , shopping centers , fast food , and a Costco !! I still miss that place .