Register now to get rid of these ads!

The resurrection of Rusty, the '59 Sport Fury convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big M, Feb 21, 2013.

1. big M

big M

This is a long term project, especially as my business takes most of my spare time. A good friend we called 'Dammit Jim' owed me some money for storing about fifteen of his cars, and he was rummaging through a truck wrecking yard in upstate New York that time forgot, for vintage Ford parts that he dealt in.

I got a call from him one day and he asked if I would be interested in a Plymouth convertible that had been left for dead in 1965, after looking at his pictures, I figured it would be worth what he owed me in parts, although the Golden Commando 361 was long gone.

He had a mutual friend that was helping him at the time load the car up onto a two-place trailer, along with a rusty '60 Edsel coupe that was sold to a collector in the bay area, and he brought the load west. Both cars had to have ropes wrapped around them to keep major parts from falling off, it's a wonder the state troopers didn't pull him over! When he arrived, we set the Fury convertible on top of another frame before moving it with a forklift, as it was breaking apart rapidly.
    Pics are not the best quality.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. FANTM58

FANTM58

If you havent already , check out forwardlook.net
    there is a wealth of info on that site

never mind,,,, i just saw it was you ,,,Big M...

3. big M

big M

Next was to seperate the body from the frame, after cutting a couple body bolts the job was done. The body fell apart in 2 big chunks. The usable parts were saved, and the rest went into the scrap bin. The frame itself was not usable, as there were holes the entire distance, front to rear. The x-brace, torsion bar mounts, third body mount pieces all were specific to the convertible, so the frame was saved.

Attached Files:

4. big M

big M

Good to see you- Just figured out the pic posting here, so I thought I'd share this crazy venture.

---John

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

John, I believe that's a '59. ;)

Can't wait to see your latest updates.

Danny aka '57burb'

6. big M

big M

I found a '59 coupe locally that had been stored in a goat pasture, the glass was scratched so badly and the upper body was so dented from the goats jumping up on it for years, that I didn't feel bad about sacrificing it for this project. It looked pretty solid, until I removed the shag carpet that the neighborhood cats had been using for a toilet. Floors were pinholed as was the trunk, but maybe salvageable.

I dismantled this car down to a body shell, and moved it into the barn to start the project.

Attached Files:

7. big M

big M

Thanks, Danny! Fat typing fingers strike again! Not sure how to change the heading, though.

---John

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'm sure an admin will see it and get you fixed up. Love the work you're doing to save this car, she's well worth it.

9. big M

big M

The convertible frame was now moved back in the barn to set the body squarely onto, and supports were fabricated to bolt into where the door once were. This would allow me to cut the roof off without distorting the door openings. The spotwelds at the windshield were drilled out, and the C-pillars were cut to allow removal of the roof.

Attached Files:

10. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

"Forward looking" to see your progress... lol... Will be a sweet car when finished. :)

11. big M

big M

I drilled out the spotwelds from the convertible window frame, which was in surprisingly good condition, cleaned the surfaces on the body, then made some measurements on both sides from an untouched car. This was fairly important to get right on. The holes were then rosette welded and the excess ground down.

12. I think Rusty is an appropriate name.

13. big M

big M

Pics-

Attached Files:

14. big M

big M

Spotwelds were drilled out of the rear tub to leave the necessary convertible-only pieces. The rear wheelwells are also convertible specific, and although rusted out, would need to be saved. The same rear panels were also then removed from the donor body.

Attached Files:

15. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

That's some of that CA new math. '58-'59 no one will know the difference. That sounds like a Johnny Cash song. LOL

16. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Subscribed!

Looks like a good build.

17. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

whoa... you must really want a plym convert! Cool to see someone going to these lengths to resurrect an old vert.

18. big M

big M

I removed the rear wheel wells from the body, and compared them to the old convertible ones. They are seamed together in a different manner to allow the top to fold down into the well completely. I used the lower several inches from the coupe wheelwells, and butt welded them into the upper part of the convertible ones. This was rather time consuming, as there were other patches that were needed where metal was thin, but I got them done.

Attached Files:

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

WOW!!! Very cool, I'm diggin' this build!!

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

This is my type of build ! Looking great!

21. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

if you pull this one off you are God lol you can do it good luck

22. big M

big M

Next was to remove the heavy rust and scale before readying the body for their re-installation. I chose reverse electrolysis, as it's cheap but effective, ann no hazardous waste to dispose of. After their bath, a light wire wheeling was all that was necessary to shine them up.

Attached Files:

23. Squablow

Squablow

Looks great, looking forward to more. I have a '55 Dodge CRL convert in about the same shape or worse, with a solid 2 door hardtop shell and a complete runner 4 door sedan to do exactly what you're doing here. ForwardLook convertibles are worth the effort!

24. big M

big M

Thanks for the positive words!

About this time in the build, I got a call from my friend Jim [that found the car] and he was going to the V.A. for some surgery, seems he had a couple tumors in his head that they were going to remove. The operation was a success, Jim called me several days later, saying how he had not felt this good in 30 years, but that they also had found lung cancer from asbestos. I told him I was going to get the car finished, and he called me Loco [or something like that] He contracted pneumonia several days later, and passed away. I took a bit of a break from the car, as it was hard to look at for awhile.

---John

25. big M

big M

Sounds great!
    I will be looking for updates on your project!

---John

26. big M

big M

After getting some other things accomplished around here, I got back on the project with renewed vigor. I reinstalled the rear wheelwells into the body, and began prep work for welding the ragtop rear tub back in.

Attached Files:

27. I'm liking it! Best of luck.

28. big M

big M

Back to the body, I melted the solder out of the seams on top, and drilled out the spotwelds. Once these pieces were removed, a few other necessary repairs had to be mad underneath, then my friend Rodger helped me fit the rear sections together. Rosette welds completed this portion, now looking more like a ragtop!

Attached Files:

29. ,,,,, sic 'em there, ole Brillo Face! Sow 'em all how it's supose to be done!

Yes, the FwdLk site 'is/can' be a wealth of knowlege/information on the Virgle Exner styled '55-'61-2 'Mopes'. Several on there will 'bend over backwards' to help,,,,,,,.

However, when visiting that place, tread very lightly and guard your dataplate, broadcast sheet, like your SS #! DON'T GIVE IT OUT!

There is a small group of egotistical, holier-than-thou, self proclaimed 'experts' that if, your vehicle, the vehicle you are planning on buying, OR selling, is NOT EXACTLY the way that DP/B'sheet says it is. You do not deserve that vehicle, or should be allowed to sell it! PERIOD!

Also, if ANY person(s) should re-popp ANY (FwdLk) parts, they should be placed on a list equal of that to a 'sex offender's' list. and should be arrested for copyright infringment!

Other than that,,,,,,,,,,,

30. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Cool!! Keep at it!!