Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Real Value of Working on Old Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kmrumedy, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Right... not only are we car owners, we are caretakers as well. Until it gets passed onto another owner who will continue what we have started. Old cars are built like brick shit houses, maybe over-built but that is why they survive today.

kmrumedy likes this.
  2. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

I love that Corvair! What are your plans for it? Yenko Stinger? :)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

heh...it's done! except for the 1960s Stereo installation, that my brother will start working on this week. Dad's old reel to reel tape deck, an ebay Terado inverter, and old Dynaco amp and preamp, and some big old box speakers. just like we had in the back of our station wagon 50 years ago, when we went on summer trips.

It's ok to leave some cars mostly original, and just drive them and have fun.

4. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

Agreed! I wish I lived in AZ...

5. squirrel

squirrel

the corvair is a rust bucket, by AZ standards.... there's some rust in the floor. Because the weatherstrip is dry and shrunk, and water got in and sat in the carpet.

6. Sounds like your neighbor is like my ex-wife and her parents.
    They couldn't understand why I enjoyed sweating in a shop, building and repairing driveshafts 9 to 14 hours a day. They also couldn't understand how I could be happy driving a 65 Chevy short step every day. And to them, a modified vehicle was bastardized. Here's to them........
    They also didn't like me calling new style cars "turds", because new style cars are tapered at both ends.
    In the years since I've been divorced, and everything else going on, my relaxation is listening to some good music and wrenching on something.
    My relaxation also helps me with m current job, because I sell car parts mostly now. I'm the guy behind the counter trying to understand what the customer wants or needs, because it's best to sell the customer the right part once, the first time, because if you're busy, how the hell are you going to be able to make time to keep the customer's confidence and correct what was done wrong.
    I enjoy big truck parts business, hotrods, wrenching on old vehicles, and some simple country life living.

williebill, clunker and kmrumedy like this.
  7. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Even wrenching on my OT 20 year old daily gives me a sense of accomplishment and pride. Family members are on me constantly to get a new car and I just tell them someday.

Some of my favorite times have been spent on a cold concrete floor under a car. Some of my most frustrated times as well. It's all good.

Bruce Fischer and kmrumedy like this.
  8. Working on my car reminds me of an old Waylon song. "i might be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane".
    Yeah, I get that get a new car thing all the time. I say mine cost LOTS less than yours. My newest is a 22 year old one.

Ben

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Who's the blonde pictured in your avatar ?

Google: Candy Barr

10. I enjoy the challenge. I have the mindset that no piece of cast iron can fool you if you don't let it. I enjoy getting a old beat to death truck ,tractor or piece of machinery that's hasn't run for decades. I like waking up that zombie. And you get to play dectective and figure out what failed or what the reason was causing it to be parked. Reciently I put a farm tractor that set for 15 years back into service. I deduced it was parked because of a bad condenser. At present ive got a 1940 7J caterpillar D4 bulldozer. Bought it for scrap price at a estate auction. Not running has been setting for many years. The magneto was removed from the pony engine. After carb work and fixing the mag and getting it in time. I finally got the opposed two cyl gas pony engine running really good. Now the main diesel will not run. No fuel to the injectors. So I remove the injection pump. It was froze up from condensation. I got that pump all apart and cleaned up and ready to put back together. I just need to make some gaskets. Its the satisfaction of knowing only about one in a thousand people can successfully do fun stuff like this that gives me a kick. I could care less what anyone else thinks.

11. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I don't have much to add to this thread because you guys have pretty much said everything guys feel about old cars. All I have to say is this thread & knowing others have the same thoughts & opinions on this subject makes me happy. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

clunker, patrick2965 and kmrumedy like this.
  12. This is why I like my cars more than most people.

kmrumedy, pat59 and bobss396 like this.
  13. LostBoy

LostBoy

Looks great! This is how I spent my last week. Flywheel rattle.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Its a good feeling to bring a car back from the dead. I now run into more "car" people that don't work on their cars. One guy was amazed that I do all my own work, "where did you learn that?". Told him I worked on cars for 10 years for a living. And you have to get dirty to learn anything about your car. My buddy that goes with me to cruise nights, he has an OT Vette but a nice car. He owns a repair shop, but doesn't share that with people. Everyone is looking for someone to work on their old car it seems.

Bruce Fischer and kmrumedy like this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It's not just cars, it's a disconnect between people being comfortable doing their own repairs on anything. I'm not poor but I ain't rich, so if there's something I can do without spending ten times the money, that's what's going to happen. It pays to know basic troubleshooting and deductive reasoning, whether it's the lawnmower or the A/C, or the Washer & Dryer. Even if you're taking it to a pro being able to talk reasonably smart may save some dollars.

Couple things I don't mess with. Tree cutting, and anything other than basic plumbing fixtures. "Shit rolls downhill, payday is Friday."

rat bastad and LostBoy like this.
  16. I fix almost anything around the house, or try to. I like a challenge. I don't mess with trees either. Got to know your limitations even though I get over my head with the car now and then, but figure it out.

Truck64 and LostBoy like this.
  17. LostBoy

LostBoy

I agree. I fix stuff too. I just built a little outhouse outside for an 80gallon compressor and I have very little experience with woodwork. People really just need to jump into thing. Get busy.

18. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

The rule that I use for myself that has served me well is the "$25/hr Rule".

I figure my free time in terms of labour is worth $25/hr. If someone can do it cheaper I outsource it. If not, I do it myself. I apply the rule to any outsourced service.

For example, lawn care - It was taking me 3 hours every second Saturday to cut the lawn and trim the property. So cost using my rule was $75 per session or $150/month. A company came by and offered to do it for 4 times a month for $80 ($20 per session).... hired!

Cleaning the house - It was taking my wife and I four hours each weekend to clean. Cleaning company does it for much less and quicker.

Contractor came by and quoted $500 to paint my porch...I could do it in 5 hours.....get lost buddy. Etc.....

That is 7 hours we freed up on the weekends. My wife and I are more relaxed. We no longer feel that the work week ends then the property work begins. The property was almost like a second job.

We have less money for other frivolous things doing this but we fill the improvement to quality of life is money well spent.

I have come to realize my most valued commodity is time. The rule works well for any project that is not highly skill specific and makes me look at life tasks differently. I can determine what is worth my time and was is not. It has freed up a bunch of time for me that I can use doing things I love.....like working on cars.

rat bastad, LostBoy and Truck64 like this.
  19. I have a lawn service too, they do a spring and fall clean up, money well-spent. I don't have much time as it is.

Ran into a guy last week at a cruise night, he calls himself a car guy, but doesn't own a hot rod of any type and has never worked on an old car ever. What a confession from someone you've known for 45 seconds. Same night, I guess it was a husband and wife. The wife was all over my car looking at this and that making intelligent conversation all the way. All the guy had to offer was "is the body metal or fiberglass?". Easy to see who wears the "Snap On" tool in that family.

pat59, Bruce Fischer and kmrumedy like this.
  20. rgdavid

rgdavid

Bobss396
    Your last line is so funny , i cant stop laughing.

bobss396 likes this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

My time is worth very little money, if I get do to something that is fun or challenging or interesting. I'll spend an hour making something I could buy for a dollar or two, if I feel like it. Or fixing something that I know I'll end up replacing anyways.

One thing I need to get better at, is hiring folks to do work for me.

Old wolf and LostBoy like this.
  22. Hmmmm...
    My wife likes making meals from scratch in the kitchen. Whereas some people are perfectly happy with McDonald's fast food.

Our intestines don't know the difference.

Same argument.

23. LostBoy

LostBoy

That's a really good way of looking at it. I have to imagine that like anything else it's not if you CAN do it, but is it worth your time and effort to do.

kmrumedy likes this.
  24. I tried this, so now I go around and fix things that they have missed, broken, or have just been plain lazy and not done. Trying to get them to come back and fix their goof-ups is like getting blood out of a stone. One gutter contractor couldn't work out that water runs downhill!

25. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

Great looking cars and an even better attitude to our hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kmrumedy likes this.
  26. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

Ok...THAT is funny right there!

chevy57dude likes this.
  27. Mister, you set me free with this one. Was going to spend Sunday (yesterday) on the Queens' late model musclecar. Eff it, it's getting front end work at the Mennonite's place now. They're honest. Can't say I can stick to your '74 policy entirely, but it sure is a card to be pulled out when needed! Thanks!

28. Been spending my last few days putting up sections of fence to replace an old one that was falling down. And the new one gives me more privacy. I have about $400 into it so far and I'm beat. Plus it ate up my Friday, most of Saturday and 3 hours last night... all for 3 sections of fence. Note to self: The next fence... PAY someone else to do it.

61Cruiser and Bruce Fischer like this.
  29. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, there's that....

30. I try and do everything from the mundane to the extreme complicated myself . It gives me the satisfaction of being self reliant. The self reliant person who has Know How never has to wait on the time and pleasure of other people to get things done.

bedwards and bobss396 like this.