Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Randy Cannarozzi '29

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Apr 29, 2015.

1. In the pitman arm pic looks like brother Keith is sending brother Ryan a little message for outing him on the blaster disaster......................just sayin'.............;)

autobilly likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Both hands no less... Like I said, grumpy.

3. AmishMike

AmishMike

have to question last photo in entry 25 - should check "ackerman principal". Also previous picture seems to have drag link at angle may increase "bump steer".

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You Amish people think you know everything, huh? You and your mafias and what not... :)

The photos are not of a job completed, but of a process... Tardel paid his dues building chassis's and his cars have the records at bonneville to prove that.

It will be money homie. And you can take that to the bank... Or a mattress in your case. :)

Baumi and russellmn like this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I know, right? He'd get twice as much done in the shop if he wasn't busy taking selfies and hash tagging kardashians all day.

Anderson likes this.
  6. AmishMike

AmishMike

Ya, I thought that might be the answer - but look at angle ( lack of ) on driver side tie rod arm. which it appears from the heated arm was just set. Just learning...

7. Keith

Keith

I see where this is going!

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Shut up Keith - nobody asked you!

#brucehastitts

russellmn likes this.
  9. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Grab a beer and back to Topic! :)

What cam will be used ?

10. von Dyck

von Dyck

Ackerman is far from being a precise science, or if you prefer, an accurate geometric angle. It is recommended that you have some Ackerman to prevent excessive tire scrub during low speed corner maneuvering. GM has not used Ackerman for several decades, and their cars exhibit tire scrub during parking lot maneuvers (I do not consider this to be desirable).
    The extrapolated lines of the dropped steering arms on the roadster in my avatar intersect somewhat behind the center of the rear axle (simply because the spindle assemblies came from a donor car with a longer wheelbase than the roadster).
    As for "Chinese" wrenches, they do serve purpose in situations like these.
    BTW, kudos on a nice build!

11. autobilly

autobilly

...and all this cool shit's going down at world headquarters as we speak.

12. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Now that's funny ;)!!!!!!!
    Nice to see ya on here every now & then Mr. K.T.
    I think that it's great that Randy is getting a new build by his brothers!!!!!!!
    By seeing this Santa Rosa locale still near your name, people are gonna get the wrong idea and think that ya don't like Austin ;).....
    Keep up the great work and keep your hands in the gloves of the sandblaster, not the glass :).
    Keep in touch. :).

13. AmishMike

AmishMike

agree ackerman important in low speed turns & not Bonneville. Watched a nice model t pull from lot in sharp right hand turn push driver side tire almost sideways - while driver struggled to turn wheel. I stepped away for fear he was going to push tire off the rim. People build cars like they see at shows only to find it not work on the street. One inch of front suspension travel is another show thing that not work on the street - and that without bump stop. Same thing with steering box placement and steep drag link angles - creates bump steer when hit a bump. Drove one that loved to dart to side after a bump. Many rods use parts from cars not perfect fit for the rod. Part of the build to make it better; or live with the results. Have to build to intended use. Drive it or push from enclosed trailer to show field.

14. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

the wishbones are not attached to the frame .

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  15. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Just put the shovel down, and enjoy the build.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I guess if someone is going to build something cool in your new shop before you do, Tardel would be a good one. Should be a cool roadster but that kinda goes with out saying.

17. This is a traditional hot rod and custom forum. If you want drama, go to facebook!
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Speedy Canuck and Ryan like this.
  18. kvann87

kvann87
    from Austin, TX

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm following this one.....

20. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hahahahaha!!!!!

Back to topic, Please!

21. von Dyck

von Dyck

Wishbone to frame attachment establishes kingpin caster angle, not Ackerman. Drag link angle relative to wishbone angle is critical in avoiding built-in bump steer. New guys starting a build - can't stress this enough - do your homework on basic steering and suspension design before you pick up wrench or torch. Study other's good designs and other's bad designs, and ask lotsa questions. Over my 55 years of doing this stuff, I've encountered far too many unsafe modifications made in ignorance! And some of these appear on the front covers of several well-known car publications. No matter how much money is thrown into that car, how detailed it is, how pretty it is, how powerful it is, how much rubber is under it, etc., if it does not track properly while driving it, it will be no fun to drive, and see very little street time. Build it correctly from the git-go.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

For those that are better visually, there's this:

ackerman.jpg

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Screw that guy with the funny name that came up with all that nonsense about angles and what not... Let's get to today's updates, shall we?

Essentially, Keith buttoned up the steering and suspension mock up. Little things yet to do here and there, but they can all wait. This thing needed to be on all fours today.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

And one taken with a grossly wide angle lens that offends the proportions of the car, but shows off the space:

06.jpg

24. what are the wooden panels in the floor?

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Holes where a lift is gonna go eventually... or maybe the entrance to an underground bunker. Preppy Prepper. Let your imagination decide.

26. Ryan is that your head? Dam, we have the same hairdo! :rolleyes:
    Oh that Roadster is looking good. :cool:

27. I thought Keith Tardel was trying to get on full time with some speed shop.
    Guess that didn't work out for him.
    Or maybe this is what he does on his holidays.
    The man is a machine

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Keith is omni-present... He's every where and every thing. He's here, he's there... he's down by the river, walking on water.

29. This is the most entertaining thread in a long time and the roadster is titts. Maybe even better than Bruce's titts.

30. This thread is what this place needed, some great fun and another bitchen AV8 build in a damn cool shop space.

MUNDSTER likes this.