Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Randy Cannarozzi '29

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Apr 29, 2015.

1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That color is spot on.....

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The thing about indian red is this:

A lot of good reds can show a purple hue in the shade. Indian red does not show any purple at all either in direct light or in the shade... In bright, direct light you can almost detect some pinks in the highlights - but never any purple. To me, thats what makes this red just a little different than all the others...

63fdsnr likes this.
  3. that is a nice red, but what makes you think it will get a patina after a few thousand miles? Keith used base/clear urethane, with a hardener........ doesn't that shit stay shiny forever?

4. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have to ask...
    So, Who's this dude Randy with the cool Italian name?...Is it......R.C........?

To Name My car:
    I wish I had a Cool Italian Name........Or a Brother!......or both!

This A is a piece of ART!

5. Rand Man

Rand Man

I have enjoyed the build so far.

So Ryan, looks like you have your own rod shop now. How long has this been going on? I have been away from the HAMB too long.

6. Rozzi

Rozzi

I've known Randy for almost 37 years and he tends to stay off the radar for the most part. The only photo I have of him is from a BBQ that he and his wife use to throw for the local car guys. (Apparently he wasn't very happy about me taking it.)
    paulie.jpg

missmuriel, Ryan and tony starr like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Randy is, in fact, a real person. And this, in fact, his roadster.

It's not my shop. It's Keith Tardel's... He's working out of a space that is connected to TJJ world headquarters.

8. What is Keith planning on running for tires???

9. Shit man, this is incredible! Mr. Tardel caught me as a skeptic with the bright red at first. Then i started to see it come together with the black, wow! Excuse my ignorance, but is the "indian red" a porche color or indian motorcycle?

Reds are hard to get right without looking wrong for an era. Ive been beating myself up between candy apple, titian and brandywine for over a year now. Good thing my tub is not getting paint till next winter i guess..

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Vintage indian color... it's not a bright shade of red... it's actually fairly dark.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Lots of little shit going on today... much of it doesn't make sense to photograph... but here's a couple of little things for ya:

Mocking up exhaust exit location here... and the exhaust actually takes cues from the Tardel/Cochran coupe... like a nip slip... only louder... much louder:

46.jpg

And the gas tank is now mounted. Note the silly WWII military reference. Obviously, this isn't something we'd do if it were visible from the outside of the car. But the stencil was kind of a fun touch to see under the deck lid. An easter egg of sorts.

47.jpg

63fdsnr and HelmuthBrothers like this.
  12. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would've saved a bunch of inches welding........

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Sorry if I missed it, but were there any specs on the OD and metal type of the exhaust posted?

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We haven't done exhaust yet...

15. "An excuse to get rid of a lot of parts"
    I wish I had that problem.

16. I love the 47 bones. Always have. Got a set on my 31 sedan

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A seldom realized fact is that the Chinese, skilled and 'up to snuff' with the latest way to skimp on A/C electronic switches, also provide the unwary world with switches for D/C.
    Direct current switches carry more amperage load than A/C ones, so require at LEAST a relay for the switch to merely 'signal'. (.3 amp load)
    Otherwise, direct wiring of the headlamp switch subjects it to 15 amps (and more) which shortens its life measurably.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Today has been one of small victories... Brakes are on the car for good and the nickel plaiting is starting to show up here and there...

48.jpg

49.jpg

Interesting note on the gas tank... Every '28/29 tank we've ever seen was threaded for the gas cap... This one, however, is notched to take a '30/31 gas cap. It wasn't changed... so best guess is that this is a very late '29 tank.

50.jpg

50b.jpg

You might think that a doo doo brown dash is a risk. It isn't really... and you'll see why later in the build.

51.jpg

52.jpg

HEMI32, Malcolm, flatheadpete and 4 others like this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm hoping it isn't because you're going to 'saddle' it with brown interior...
    Oxblood wide rolls would do for era.. but if you HAVE to match the early knobs...

20. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

me thinks this is the base color for the wood graining that comes later.
    tom

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

One more for today... remember that poser vintage regulator? Color Pop!

53.jpg

Cyclone_racer, 509garyd and Kiwifruit like this.
  22. YJ4000

YJ4000

Very Very nice work!

Ryan.

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I've been struggling with how I want to modify the gas tank on my A.. I hate the thought of leaving something "unfinished" underneath (leaving lips around where the tank used to be). But if it doesn't bother Keith, then I guess it shouldn't bother me..

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434695005.385630.jpg

24. Another very nice little detail that definitely makes a difference.

25. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Curious to see what the plan is for the dash

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So I go out of town on Friday to pick my little girl up from summer camp and miss one day of work... By the time I get back, the motor is already in the chassis and the damn car is close to finished... Sort of... Still a lot of detail stuff left to do, but man is this thing starting to come together.

I think Keith will be firing the motor this week. Video of that will come for sure...

55.jpg

57.jpg

60.jpg

56.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

HEMI32, 63fdsnr, tony starr and 3 others like this.
  27. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

28. what steering wheel?

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Not real sure... It's GM, but no idea what it came off of... Randy found the wheel at a swap meet and fell in love with it. A nice piece for sure... Leaving it in its natural patina'd state, but it's in really nice shape.

Here's a better shot of it:

61.jpg

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A little more investigation work... A tag on the steering column labeled it as a 1936 Olds column... A quick google search proves this to be accurate. Anyway, here are a few more shots:

62.jpg

63.jpg