Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Ramchargers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6t5frlane, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Thanks so very much to everyone for their thread contributions
    Re: The Ramchargers

I am wanting to do more extensive collaborative research into the Stars, AWB's, Detroit Mfg. involvements, era key racing events, race teams, and as possible...determining the current status of the 65 AWB Funny Cars. My goal is to be able to serve as a " catalyst participant " in making an archival collaborative contribution for future generations to come about these
    incredible aspects of this Nostalgia Factory Hot Rod era.

Everyone's progressive guidance to existing historical documentation or offers of interest in collaborating would be cordially appreciated.

Many Thanks !

W. Greg Bliven

2. Which Ramcharger cars are in Minnesota ?

What are the other Ramcharger cars floating around ?

3. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

The Ramchargers 64 a/fx is undergoing restoration right now.Mike Guffy owns it, as well as the Golden Commandos 65 a/fx.

4. BillyShope

BillyShope

Greg, before you give up on this thread, keep in mind that there was a recent NHRA get together in Bowling Green at which the contributions of the Ramchargers were to be recognized. I wasn't able to make the trip, but Barnes Daniels is supposed to report back to me as to what happened. If I don't hear from him shortly, I'll give him a call and then either report back or encourage him to contribute to this thread directly.

5. Billy - I missed the Bowling Green Hot Rod Reunion. However, two weeks prior
    I attended the St. Louis GateWay - www.musclecarreunion.com There was
    the www.nostalgiasuperstockers.com touring racing group of about 30.
    There were about 300 entries all categories. Sox and Martin cars,
    El Toro AWB, and as a side note - My brother and I got Our picture taken with
    Big Daddy Don Garlits !

After that I went to NHRA Joliet and saw some Super Stockers 1968 Hurst
    Cudas and Hurst Darts.

It appears the next best event to see nostalgia A / FX and S/S would be at Columbus National Trails Mopar Nationals.

Would there be other nostalgia A / FX and S/S themed events that anyone would recommend that I attend ?

I just love meeting and learning from those who are participants and who have passion to enjoy and preserve Our awesome heritage of Factory Hot Rods.

6. This might have covered already in this thread....Is there a complete list of
    all cars raced by " Ramchargers " ?

Has there been a determination which have been certified as authentic
    original "Ramchargers " survivors ?

7. I am just bowled over at what a great thread this is. I was always meaning to read this over the last year and for some reason, I never did till now.

I love Dragracing and it's early history. I found these posts by all of you very entertaining and a real history lesson. The funny thing is I finally got to read this post while I sit here in my friends study in Plymouth, Mi. Every time I come here to visit I can feel the history of Dragracing and Factory Musclecar Development were ever I go.

Last night I cruised Woodward Ave. for a little while ( my second time) and although there was little action on account of a storm front, I could not help but think of things like what is discussed here on the HAMB. As a matter of fact, I saw my first '09 Challenger blasting down Woodward last night. Only in Detroit!

I want to thank you all that posted all those wonderful and glorious photos. I'm going to make it my mission to see if I can dig up any unpublished photos of some of the early Grand Spaulding Dodge AWB and F/C's from a different prospective. As a longtime Chicago Pinstriper and Lettering guy, I have been fortunate enough to be in contact with all the various Sign Painters that may have lettered those cars. Probably the main letterer from the earliest days that are the main thrust of this post is "Dexter". He's still around and worked on just about all of the name dragcars in the '60s and '70s in Chicagoland.

I'm gonna try! Thanks again for such a inspiring and awesome post...

Joel

8. jackal24

jackal24
    from michigan

does anyone have any pictures or information on a 1965 A/FX coronet named firebrewed? My dad used to own it before it was stolen. not sure if he bought it from Dick Smith or if he was the third owner, he would really like to see some pictures of his lost love.

9. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

don't know if it's been hit upon here yet, i just skimmed through the 13 pages, but one person mentioned a documentary. There indeed is a documentary on the Ramchargers. Someone gave a copy of it to me, i believe it was on the history channel some time ago. worth getting if you can find it!

10. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Here's some for you.

Attached Files:

11. ssaahemifan

ssaahemifan

Here's a shot of the Original Ramchargers car taken last week. I just assumed it wasn't finished in time for the show?

I would hate to think it wasn't RE-lettered as original because they didn't pay this tool for the rights!!

Attached Files:

12. Big Dad

Big Dad

Thanks for being such a peach Dave :rolleyes:

13. The owner of this car is a member here.

14. brandon

brandon

i can think of one car that didn't get lettered due to " legal rights" ...and it was legit... :eek:

15. jackal24

jackal24
    from michigan

Thank you very much:) you wouldn't happen to have any other information on this car, or know of a good web site to research would you

16. As a Mopar guy I thank all that gave there two cents and all the pics I grew up watching the mags and at lions and irwindale the raceing was great and the men that drove these cars were true sportsmen, Not the pamperd babys of today. I went to my first dick Landy car clinic in 1970 and went every year after that till 72.

17. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

This site would be your best shot at getting more info on the car.

18. couverkid

couverkid

Here is a picture of my 63 dodge ramchargers clone kind of it was built years ago.

Attached Files:

19. Cool! Was it built with the faded paint etc, or has it got 'genuine patina'? :)

20. couverkid

couverkid

Just old paint the body still has the original paint it has not bee painted the lettering is maybe 25 years old.

21. hdmopar

hdmopar
    from Oklahoma

Storm King! I hope to get my next afx finished and meet you at bowling green. By the way here are some pics I got from you. I still have some pics of my radioactive charger which hung from the ceiling.

Attached Files:

22. storm king

storm king

My buddy hdmopar posted these for me; I really figured to put them in the s/s FX thread, but here they are anyway. This is my '66 stretched nose Dart funny I'm building. Unlike Ramchargers car of that year, mines still got the factory floor in it, and just the frame rails tied in. So the pics show it a couple of months ago when we began, then with the new front frame (stretched one foot), then a comparrison shot with the stock '65 fenders on it, and lastly with the brand new carbon fiber stretched and altered '66 fenders on it which we just tooled up for and built.

23. Does anyone have contact info for Thorton? I'd enjoy exchanging a few emails with him. Jay

24. mrrich

mrrich
    from seattle

Here is the door from the topless 65 missle. That's the man himself Cecil Yother.

Attached Files:

25. high and mighty at the 08 mopar nationals. it made an exhibition run down the 1/4. too cool!

Attached Files:

26. Race Artist

Race Artist

Hello Jay,

If I'm correct you and I exchanged some correspondence a few years ago regarding a red truck and other cars. I don't have any contacts for Jim Thornton but may be able to get you a connection to him.

Meanwhile ... you and others here might like to take a look at the Stock-S/S-F/X thread that I started here at the HAMB ...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247089

Joel

27. Race Artist

Race Artist

How's it going Rich? I'd heard that Cecil Yother still has the topless '65 Missle ... ?

Joel
    www.JFNStudios.net

28. 1965 AWB Goldfinger

1965 AWB Goldfinger

here is a picture of the "DODGE CHARGERS" car you are talking about....

This pix was taken only a couple years ago....

Attached Files:

29. Frank Spittle restored and owns this car.

30. 34gasser-65AWB

34gasser-65AWB

Thanx for posting the shot of the Melrose Missile door MrRich. Joel, the shell of the car is gone by most accounts. The current build is a new car built with the remaining stuff from the original.

Any way we could finagle a "group hug" picture of all the remaining pieces in 1 place? I heard that the remaining real parts was some of the fiberglass panels, the dashboard, and other stuff like tires/wheels.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009