Register now to get rid of these ads!

The racing history of Robert "Poncho" Rendon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopped Tudor, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

I'm the nephew of Poncho Rendon and I'm here to share his drag racing history. He's not doing so well and I thought I would do this form him.

Robert rendon grew up in Roseville, Michigan and in the early days he had all kinds of hot rods. He had a 36 ford sedan with an olds motor, 53 ford with a pontiac in it and a 40 ford coupe with a pontiac in it. He began to like pontiacs and even had a 64 tempest a/fx car with aluminum fenders and bumpers with plexiglass windows. Then in 1964/65 he had a 40 willys with a 37 nose on it. He ran a 392 in it and eventually a 426. I belive he was the first in the metro Detroit area with a 426 in a willys.

Attached Files:

2. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

After racing the willys, he bought Connie Kallitta's front engine dragster with a injected cammer motor in it. He Raced that for a while with his partner Dave Miller.

Attached Files:

3. beatnik

beatnik

Hi Tony, I'm really sorry to hear Poncho is not doing well.

I would love to hear more about his Racing History, post any old photos you have, and I'll see if I can dig up anything I have from all my mags and books to add to it.

I've taked to Poncho a bunch of times, but the only history I knew about him is what I've heard/learned from Rudy (Roadstar).

Gus

4. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

In 1971 He took a brand new Logghe dragster to Indy an ran Top Fuel. His driver Connie Kalitta tryed to qualify the car and got crossed up and crashed the dragster.

Attached Files:

5. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

more pictures

Attached Files:

6. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

After that he helped Shirley Muldowney on her funny car For a year or so.

Attached Files:

7. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

After helping Shirley he talked her into driving his new 1973 Logghe Top Fuel Dragster. She made some passes in the car and she recived her Top Fuel license.

Attached Files:

8. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

Later Gene Domagalski drove the dargster. More pictures

Attached Files:

9. Did Poncho once own "The Detroit Tiger" funny car?
    I met him in Detroit many years ago. And again at Cayuga Dragway in Canada.

10. Also, did his sister have a restaurant in Detroit?

11. coupedevil

coupedevil

We too are sorry to hear about Poncho. My husband knows him thru a mutual friend Bob Westbrook from Ontario. Just got a picture of Poncho from Bob to hang up in our shop.

12. plan9

plan9

a pictoral history says it all, something to aspire to.

i hope your uncle makes a full recovery from his ailments.

thanks for sharing and if you have more pics, by all means post them... pictures say a thousand words.

13. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

1975 He bought a nother Logghe dragster and ran that with his friend Dick LaHaie. He sold the car mid year to a local guy who never ran it. He kept the motor to put in his new Logghe funny car. My uncle later bought the car back a few years ago from the same guy, the dragster was un touched and in great condition. We put a motor in the car and took it to a show featuring all race cars.

Attached Files:

14. I met your Uncle in Bowling Green at the HR Reunion two years ago, he had a flea market space...I bought a set of Cal-Custom valve covers (ceramic finished) and they are on my coupe now. We talked a long time and he told me the story about helping Shirley get her license. He should get more credit for that. Nobody back then wanted to loan her a car and he came through for her.
    Best wishes for recovery, he's a good guy!!!

15. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

1975 He bought a nother Logghe dragster and ran that with his friend Dick LaHaie. He sold the car mid year to a local guy who never ran it. He kept the motor to put in a funny car. My uncle later bought the car back a few years ago from the same guy, the dragster was un touched and in great condition. We put a motor in the car and took it to a show featuring all race cars.

16. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

pictures

Attached Files:

17. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

Yes she did. It was a mexican restaurant.

18. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

This was his first Funny car "desperado"

If any one has any pictures of this car please let me know these are the only two that I have. Thanks

Attached Files:

19. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

From 1976-1979 He ran a few Logghe Funny Cars "The Detroit Tiger" with Tom Prock as the driver.

Attached Files:

20. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

more pictures

Attached Files:

21. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

I'll post some more pictures later

22. cole

cole

I was just visiting my Dad, and he told me that Poncho was sick, sorry.

I remember Poncho very well,............ being a kid on tour for summer's , Poncho, Prock, and my Dad were tight.

My Dad (Pat Foster)built the arrow FC in your pictures.

Sorry to here about him, colorful guy.- Cole

23. We meet many people in our lifetime and will have many aquantinces. some will turn into life long friendships.

I've never been so proud as to call "Poncho" Or Bob as I often call him, one of my dearest friends.

He is one of the most genuine and considerate people I will ever know. He is always willing to help you find a part you needed and would go out of his way to find something for anyone if he didn't have one on hand.

Hard core hot rodder would barley describe this man.

Thanks for the backround Tony, I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate what he has done in Drag racing. I have always looked up to him and one of Drag Racing's Pioneers.

I love ya Uncle Bobby.....

24. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

hI I am Poncho Rendon's niece Colleen. Today we lost the most important member of our family. His passsing today at 2pm marks the single greastest loss of my nephew Tony's life. We are grieving the loss of a unique man the like of which we will never see again. We appreciate any and all special memories that you can share with us. To those of you who knew him either personally or saw him race you are welcomed to share with us your recollections. We will grieve his passing forever. He was a genius with cars and loved his work. We were blessed to have had him in our lives--it was too short. From the Rendon Family we thank you. we love you uncle bobby.

25. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

We are grieving the loss of a unique man the like of which we will never see again. [/QUOTE]

Poncho was a great friend...he will be missed.. RIP Ponch

Chuck

26. beatnik

beatnik

Tony, Colleen, I'm very sorry to hear this, my heart goes out to all his family and friends. He will be missed.

27. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

Their will never be another uncle Bobby.

Attached Files:

28. This hurts real bad .

Rest in Peace Poncho

29. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

I am sorry to hear about this loss. My best wishes to the family.

30. One of Poncho's dreams was to go to Bonniville at least once. We would hang out at my shop every friday night and the topic could come up often.

So finally in '03 we all made the trip to the salt. he totally enjoyed the experiance and was happy to have finally done it. But admitted to me later that it wasn't something he had to do every year.

I'm so happy he did get to realize that dream he had though.

Life just isn't fuckin fair :mad:

Attached Files: