Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Race of Gentlemen, 2nd Annual 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Jul 9, 2013.

1. ELD

ELD

I wasn't there, the Oiler guys locked me in the basement with a keg, slim jims, and a computer to take care of scouring the web for tidbits.

2. misskate

misskate

Thank you, ELD!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

As always nice job on the pics MissKate

4. Kate, thank you very much! Great shots. There are a couple there I'm going to need I think!

5. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

you still shoulda been there, ya hippie. that's why they invented smart phones. multi tasking.

6. So, after seeing all the great vintage signs the Oilers created for the first RoG, I decided I needed one of my own to have in the "pits" with me at RoGII.
    Knowing my own limitations with paint and brush, I sought out some truly talented help. The amazing HotRod Jen of course.

Jen came through with an amazing sign. Sadly the logistics of the event didn't allow me to get it on the beach as I had hoped. For that I owe her an apology.

Here it is, in all it's Silver-leafed glory. And for the curious; NO, I'm not going into the speedster body business... I just wanted a sign that might have belonged to my Crazy Old Uncle Harold's business.

Attached Files:

7. So far the only complaints are about the guys hanging on cars like this blowing by people on there way out. Luckily we were not in charge of the road or security. Things will change next year due to the security. Can't speak about it now, but we are handling a few things that were out of our control.

Wildwood rules! Talk on this stuff later when it's appropriate.

8. Well folks, the excitement never ends!

While reading this Hemmings news story in my trusty chair, coffee in hand. It's 4:30 am, I can't sleep from all the weeks schedule of prop making at 5am in my garage these past weeks, and still feeling like I was shot from a cannon this last weekend.

My indian is still in the van! Luckily no cash as I made none. Who would care!

I hear what I think is a door handle pop outside in my driveway. But it's raining real good, coffee is hot, and so is the Hemmmings news story, so I stay seated for a moment.

Just when I hear it again, I get up and put the phone down. My only mistake.

I look for my trusted oak axe handle before I exit. Mom just stayed with me days before race, she dusted and cleaned so the handle was not where it should be.

I loosen the door locks quietly so I can sneak out. I puff up on the porch casing the yard when I see a large man in a hooded sweat shirt exiting the driveway, walking. His 2nd mistake.

His first, was entering my driveway and messing with my stuff.

I followed him out the driveway and demanded he stop. He said he was looking for a friend? What's he a Rolling Stone? He had a mag light and was twice my size. I demanded he follow me back to my driveway as I had no weapon or phone. Not that really matter.

I was once again barefoot, in sweat pants, and my new and trusted TellTale Signs t-shirt!!! (Plug)

I put my hand in the back of my pants telling the thief I'd pull my imaginary knife if he didn't listen. He walked back to the driveway and told me he had a gun.

I said pull it! Instead he ran.

So did I, towards the house to grab the phone and another once over for the axe handle. No where in sight!

I called 911 while in pursuit. Gave directions while tailing the thug. I stayed on him like white on rice back into the hood.

One cop finally shows. The thug runs and hops a wooden fence. I go over as we'll. Cop secures his post while I follow the thug.

Long story short, I back off, let the cops that arrive do their job.

Thug caught! All before 6 am.

What's next now? I'm bored.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  9. I have one complaint!

Why are all of the other sign painters not as cute?

Great sign!

10. Scott, so glad you came! You and Mike are nuts, and I love it!

I had such a blast hangin with you guys and having beers at the beach house by the fire pit.

We must do this again, as Tommy has even better stories to tell. I promise!

I'll let you tell it here if you like. No worries as he knows no shame.

And for the record, it was a pheasant feather! A nice long one.

Cheers to you my new friends and members of our Hot Rod family!

Long live the TROG! You and the other racers are now what we refer to as the "Troglodytes" !!!

11. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

OH MAN That's a crazy morning you had. You need a discovery channel reality show with all the stuff you got going on.

12. Ok folks!

So don't hate on the attempt at the live feed.

Duck Tape stepped up to the plate just three weeks prior to the race. They got me to the city quick during my prop building and we talked. I said as long as I didn't have to wear a duck suit and over commercialize my organic little race, I was fine with a product created for WW2 stepping up.

The wifi on the beach was the problem!

When I returned days after the race I saw what was captured and said take it down.

So it's been fixed to give you a taste of the race with my pals and Nj's very own, The Swinging Neckbreakers in the background.

Sit tight, then lean back and check it out!

Theraceofgentlemen.com

13. Oh, and by the way... If I'd known those Inland Emperors were going to show up with their panda mascot, I'd have worn that duck suit!

14. no -no I am pretty sure the announcer said Three Island Emperors!

15. jkeesey

jkeesey

Mel, did the guy actually take anything or was he just trying?

16. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I sure didn't mean to cause any troubles, the lane was clear and I slowed way down once out of the loose sand.
    Can I make it up to you by providing this for next years motorcycle stunts? View attachment 2049223

It's not hand shift, they just didn't come that way but if you are really gonna go in yer undies....

17. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

oops.

Attached Files:

• vin.JPG
      vin.JPG
      File size:
      431.6 KB
      Views:
  18. When I argued with him and demanded he return to my driveway I only saw the Mag Light in his hand.

I honestly didn't know how I was going to get him to sit there while I went to get my phone, I just knew I needed to direct him and take control.

The best was making him do what I wanted while making pretend I had a knife, I didn't want to pull. I said, if I pull this knife it is going to get ugly and don't make me. Then I think he figured it out and said I'm going to pull my gun. I said pull it! I said it again, and he ran.

Meanwhile he could have, and should have beat me with his Mag Light. His mistake.

As he ran, all I could hear was change in his pockets. So I'm pretty sure that is all he got. I really haven't checked as I'm so busy still with phone calls and trying to put my life back together. I have sand in funny places still!

Just took a shower finally.

I have some solid Indian Motocycle friends on there way over with some vintage parts to start and fix and piece the bike back together. I've yet to clean it or do anything. Its still strapped down in my van. So I have some vintage glass on its way, headlight, light bulb. I still need a original tail light lens as it is smashed too. Looked in Hershey but didn't see one.

All else looks ok, not to bent or anything, but I'm still unsure really. The bike was ok I think besides the glass.
    What happen was at the end of Sunday racing, I was so beat. I kicked and kicked and kicked and said forget this. I thought I had a bright idea as my Oiler buddy Mike was hi tailing it off the beach with his #150 coupe, to take another buddy back to a train to catch a plane. I said wait, tie this rope to your push bar and I'll tie a knot around my bars and you can pull me off the beach. Bad idea! Hahaha... It worked for about 50 yards of craziness until I fell, and they pulled me and the bike another couple of yards with bike on top of me and my leg underneath. At least sand gives a little. The worst of my personal injuries and the bikes injuries came from this last stunt. I'm done with stunts until the bike is road worthy again. Good times though!

19. Yes I will flog that!

20. Every year he gets called colored. He is half white and half black. Colored is a vintage word we don't use any more. How do I know ???, because I learned from my mistakes!

You know I'm kidding by the way. Nick doesn't mind either as he is a real sport razzing all of you kind folk.

Nick Foster ( Thee Announcer) is a local! He is a Blues man, a harp player, a songwriter/singer. He is a stand up comedian, and a sit down comedian. He works in the city for Bud beer I think, and owns a cigar store in Belmar, NJ. Also the real deal!

I met him only two weeks before the 1st Trog. He was the frontman of an old friend named Boxcar's new band, that I know from the ole Punk/ska music scene. The band was killer.
    I later ran into Nick again a week later in a parking lot, one week before the 1st Trog. I said man, you would be a cool to announcer for the Trog since my pal Lewis Bloom, the NHRA announcer couldn't make it. Also the second year as well.

I'm now glad that Nick got that chance as I don't think anyone could now fill his shoes. Even Mr. Bloom, sorry buddy.

On the return run of one of my many passes I heard Nick state I was a Marsupial, and I carry my young in a pouch? Hahahahaa. I think I teared up a couple times this last weekend. He's a nut.

21. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Oh man! What a time!

I'd call you a crazy son of a bitch but I met your mother and shes a great lady.

The Canadians will be back in force next year with flatheads!

22. Thee Canadians I had beers with back at the Airstreams? Norton?

Ha! My mother scolded me for riding on top of my Indian. She said I was punished and had to sit down. I quickly reminded her how I've never really ever listened to her, she smurked and walked off. I think I even told her to go sit down, ha! She rules!!!

I love how us Oilers get all the credit for all the hard work. My Mom and Dad were here weeks before helping paint signs, and everything else! Best family time I have had in a long time!

My Mom and Dad both said to me, we never knew you could surf on top of a motorcycle? I told them me either, just did it for the 1st time Mom. Hahahaaa. They went nuts.

That wasn't showing off either, that was pure fun!!! I had to do it over and over again.
    I had the best time of my life on Sunday.

I love you people for supporting us, Truly!

You racers and spectators are just as much of this show as I. Lets keep having fun!

Thanks for everything...

23. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Yep, Thee Canadians! I'm Norton and Speedy Canuck was the other Canadian.

All of you guys and all of your families put in so much effort to pull that show off and to make everyone that came out feel like family too. Amazing!
    I've never felt so welcome at an event in my life.

I really think we all had the time of our lives over the weekend!

24. I feel the same, look forward to seeing you soon! Stay in touch!!!

25. Ok, the video is back up on the theraceofgentlemen.com Go take a look!

Swingin Neckbreakers, Hoboken, NJ's own.

26. So I'm sitting at my welding table clamping some parts in a fixture and it hits me. It's one week ago today to the hour or so that we left from knoxville with the 78B roadster to the greatest hotrod event in the world! 7 weeks of thrashing the roadster together and it's all gone in a rush. I think we should all group up and build a time machine so we can go back to Wildwood anytime we want and relive hot rodding at it's finest!

Jim

27. Well great news!!! Just got off the phone with Wildwood and they surely wants us back!

Not only did they love the racing, but they went on and on and on about the wonderful spectators and how gracious and amazing you all were. See, I told... you are part of the show and it looks like you all just secured us a spot for next year. Thanks...

Plus, there is another neat piece of beach property with no ocean where I have something else in store for you all.

I'll say this... and not much else either... Boys, get your bangers ready!!!

28. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

Hell ya mel that is great news!!! Kept running into people at hershey and the beach race was the thing to talk about and people planning for next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. SWEET!! cant wait -so much for the hoodlum image :rolleyes: I am trying to talk my neighbor into bring his pre war Harley down!!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  30. nvrenuff

nvrenuff
    from new jersey

So happy its going down again. I'm going for the whole weekend next time. Girlfriends already been informed and she's ready too. Wanted to meet a lot of you but when I got there I realized I had no idea what anyone looked like Haha? Oh well. Next time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using H.A.M.B. mobile app