Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Race of Gentlemen, 2nd Annual 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Just booked my ferry reservation....see y'all Friday in the Wildwoods!

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. T__N__A

T__N__A

577 miles down and only 2,423 miles to go.... see you guys at the beach!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  4. kein

kein

Hey guys- Sounds like a great event coming up and unfortunately I will not be there b/c I am overseas. I worked all the events in WW for years and coordinated and planned most of the big events on the LE end of things. WW is a very large area and I would think you guys will all want to stick together for the most part just because of the way things are spread out among the 4 towns on the island. Easy enough to get around and just remember that Atlantic Avenue runs pretty much the full length of the island if you get lost while cruising around, same with New Jersey Avenue as well. Plenty of bars and restaurants but at this time of year lots of places will be closed but you will still find some good spots. Really no need to drive west of Park Blvd...pretty crappy back there and you guys will all cross Park as you enter WW and head toward the beach, it is the street near McDonald's as you come into town. My '54 Capri is at Butch's Sunoco which is right across from McDonald's. He has about the only old school gas station around anymore and it has been there since the early 60's. I have the original sign in my garage. Butch is a great old guy so stop and get your gas there and if the side garage is open my car is sitting there waiting for me. Be careful of some of the streets, WW is known for it's road construction, lots of piping has been replaced so you may turn a corner and suddenly find the surface of the street is chewed up..just be aware of that. If you get a chance and you want a nice cruise, hit Ocean drive to head into Cape May and along the Atalntic. It is a beautiful drive with old bridges and water views. You can drive thru CM along the water and thru West Cape May toward the ferry for some nice crusing. Plenty of bars and restaurants along the water, the Harborview is right on the harbor across form the Coast Guard Base and you can see the cutters and some nice sites, they have a huge outside deck which is where you want to go. Just 1 more thing, Cresse Ave is the access to the beach, it is at the southern end of the boardwalk which is the border between Wildwood proper and Wildwood Crest (another town) North Wildwood is on the other end of Wildwood just for perspective. If this is the entry point, I am sure organizers will be there to help but normally the sand is pretty soft at this point. The closer you are to the boardwalk the softer the sand. BE VERY careful off the outfall pipes. Again, I am sure there will be people to help but these outfall pipes are hidden in many areas and I have seen everything from cranes to jeeps disappear in the gullies. The water comes out of the pipes and can create very deep and wide gullies that you may not see until it is to late so please be aware of that. The pipes run from street end toward the water line and they are spaced about every 3 blocks or so. The pier you are looking for is the first one from the Cresse Avenue entry point. It has the big wooden roller coaster which is white. There are 3 more piers headed north toward North Wildwood, again, just for perspective. This beach is huge and you will have no worries near the water as the sand is hard packed. I was on that beach for 26 years and have seen it all...this is suppose to be a fun weekend and I really hope everyone has a great time and experience. Wish I was there to watch but I will subscribe and hopefully you good folks will post plenty of pix....good luck to all and enjoy the town!

5. kein

kein

Hey guys- Don't mean to hijack this but I know the town like the back of my hand. Just to add on this about the Wildwood sign b/c I have seen many tourist get confused about this. When you come into Wildwood over the bridge you will be on Rio Grande Avenue. That street goes straight down to Ocean Avenue which is next to the boardwalk. At the intersection of Ocean and Rio Grande there is a redlight as it is a T- intersection. You can drive right across that intersection and drive into the circle where the sign is for great pix. It looks like it is not a roadway if you are not paying attention but it is as it has a little circle drive there as mentioned above. Once in awhile it is blocked off during heavy traffic weekends but it should be accessible next weekend. Just drive into the circle area and set up for a pic. There is also another Wildwood sign before you cross the bridge into town. That is at the tourist center on the right as you head toward the big bridge. You can stop there and get a pic to but the famous Wildwood sign is the one at the boardwalk on the end of Rio Grand Avenue

6. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Oh Man! Looks like lots of badass rides will be at the ROG this year. Bummed I wont be able to make it... but stoked for the LIVE Feed! Will be watching it! Have fun!

7. We're into the final countdown here. Only 4 days of work this week before NortonG and I are hauling ass to NJ.
    Just checked the long range forecast and so far, things are showing to be pretty nice.

Going to be a hell of a time.

8. You go Mike. Have a great trip!
    Keith

9. justinlansdale

justinlansdale

Can't wait for this weekend!

10. Hey all. This just in!!!

Cash prizes!!!! I ain't talking chump change either.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380570627.296078.jpg

11. Fastest banger

Fastest flathead V8

Fastest flathead 45 inch bikes

Fastest big twin bikes.

12. Mind officially blown! "Poof"!

Wayta go, Mel!

13. T__N__A

T__N__A

Oh hell ya Mel!!

Are they the ridiculously oversized checks?? I've always wanted one of those

14. Why yes they are! Hahaa

15. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380586491.202148.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380586520.763597.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380586600.197508.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380586620.930807.jpg

Let me see, I think it was my car club whom said I couldn't do this, I was out of my mind? Yeah... It was them!

16. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

Your efforts are greatly appreciated! So stoked, this is going to be amazing.

17. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

Can we get a hint on how many cars with bangers are racing.

18. I haven't counted lately. A bunch of guys dropped out due to not getting their cars finished. But a few new entries have made it more exciting!

I will say, I think there are a few more flathead V8s running.

But there are some pretty bad ass bangers too.

19. Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. T__N__A

T__N__A

YESSSS!!!

21. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I love that tower, Mel!

22. what street is the starting line gonna be on?

23. ThrottleJockey

ThrottleJockey

I was there with Tom and we both looked at you like you were crazy, now i understand that you are crazy. HaHa

24. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Mel
    Can you post some logistics for the racers coming into town.
    Some Questions..

Is there registration Friday night
    Can spectator tickets be purchased Fri
    What time should we be on the beach Saturday morning
    What street do we enter from to get to where the race is

Thanks!!

25. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Was just going to ask what time does the Shindig kick off.

I plan on coming Sat with the kid and Sun with the whole family, can't wait!!!!!!

26. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Run down On times is on the web site
    Racing starts at 10

27. The below should answer most of your questions:

28. Pete

Pete

Mel,

Your tower is huge.

Pete-

29. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

The tower is awesome. I was stoked to hear the same announcer will be back, that guy was great!

30. To paraphrase Monty Python, "Oh Mel....your tower is so big! So absolutely huge. Gosh, we're all really impressed down here, I can tell you."

".....and bare faced flattery"

http://youtu.be/6GkK8wS2WWc