Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Race of Gentlemen, 2015

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Dec 17, 2014.

1. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

If any of the TROG racers would be interested in putting a load of the cars together @ the Detroit Autorama, let me know. We have a few cars that have already committed to coming down to Cobo Hall.
    Its the last weekend of Feb16

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    lockwoodkustoms likes this.
  2. Sounds good, we plan on taking the belly tank and the Pwood roadster in the basement this coming February.

3. Nobey

Nobey

I could look at your photos for hours Big A, everyone one is a cover shot....

4. Stellar shots, Sock Person!!
    This was my favorite...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445218160.616683.jpg

509garyd likes this.
  5. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Safari Wagon that sounds great! Let me know I would be in on this :)

6. chiro

chiro

Alright. I shot medium format film so you are all going to have to wait until the film gets developed until I post my pics. I've been wanting to go to this since the first one and I finally made it and holy crap am I glad I did. Who gives a crap about the sponsors and their ads? I'm happy that anyone would want to sponsor such an event at all. Who cares about Jesse Combs and Craftsman and the B.S. that surrounded it? Not me. That car was cool as shit and Jesse was an awesome person, posing for shots in the pit with the biggest smile for everyone. Class act. So cool when the steering wheel came off during one of her runs. The WTF look on her face as she held the loose wheel in her hand was priceless. Repaired it with duct tape I believe. That's traditional in my book. The cars were awesome. The racing was incredible. The showmanship as expected. The flag girl...well...THE FLAG GIRL. Need I say more? Mel??? Tearing down the beach on his bike to get beach goers out of the way. Classic. Bitch all you want, but I will be back next year and every year for as long as it happens, however long that will be. And I don't give a rats ass that they won't let me race my Tudor because it's a Tudor. I get it and it's okay. Let's see this thing for what it really is, an event like no other run by a bunch of people who love the hobby enough to put up with piles and piles of B.S. and stress so they can put on the best Rock and Roll hot rod party I have ever been to. When's the next one? I'm booking my hotel NOW.

Andy

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Big A, Bobby Green, Elrod and 9 others like this.
  7. I couldn't agree more!! I'm chomping at the bit to hear dates for next year so I can book now!!!

Bobby Green and 509garyd like this.
  8. tallhtrddr

tallhtrddr

Hell yeah. Well put

Bobby Green and 509garyd like this.
  9. ELD

ELD

Awesome NEW Video via AWOL.TV

"This is the closest thing to time travel we will probably experience in our lifetimes. The Race of Gentlemen challenges the owners of automotive and motorcycle models from the 1940’s and earlier to drag racing as it used to be done, at the wave of the flag and on the beach. We ventured to Wildwood, NJ to watch the most unique racing we’ve ever seen."

10. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Damn! That was a great flick! Excellent shots and good tune. Me likey!:eek::D:eek:

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Well said, Chiro. I can't wait to finally see this event in person . Hopefully next year.

Thanks for sharing that video, ELD

12. As a 120 shooter myself I can't wait to see your shots. What camera did you use?

13. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

that video by awol tv is amazing. I spectated for 3rd year in a row and I had a blast. maybe one day I'll get a chance to race too. that's would be quite an experience

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

MOST awesome video...I must say

ed_grimley.jpg

15. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

it was an awesome experience!!

16. As long as they keep putting it on I will keep going. Not to be missed by me ever again.

Louie likes this.
  17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Wicked good time. Highly recommended

18. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Talked to the powers that be from Autorama & we are holding an area to display a bunch of TROG racers in the Basement.

Ohhh Mel, you wanna come play too? Last weekend in Feb.

Bobby Green and lockwoodkustoms like this.
  19. I'll have to clear it with the wife, but this sounds like fun. You should probably save me a spot too please.

20. Elrod

Elrod

How are you going to have enough space for all the TROG racers to race in the basement? :) haha

Getting a TROG racer to sit still is like telling a 1st grader who ate a bag of Halloween candy to take a nap!

21. chiro

chiro

Hasselblad

22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Ahhhhh, my wife's favorite.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445451659.244626.jpg
    But her's is collecting dust. I keep begging her to break it out, especially once any of my builds are finished.

23. Nice, can't wait to see those shots. Alas, I'm just a poor Mamiya shooter RB67 though.

24. chiro

chiro

Nice early lens. I have the same one. She should put a cap on it though. Also shot a few rolls on my Rolleiflex.

I really like the old school stuff but...my light meter took a crap just as I started shooting. I've been doing this long enough so I don't REALLY need one but I had a brain storm. Checked my iPhone and sure as shit downloaded a light meter app. Technology saved the day. I also like the idea of having to WAIT for processing to see the pics. Brings back memories of going to the drugstore hoping the pictures are back from Kodak. I will scan the negs however so old school only goes so far these days.

Andy

25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I caught the tail end of Back to the Future the other night... Saw where the bad guys crash their van, after shooting Doc, into the little shopping mall Fox film developing building... I got all teary eyed for days gone.

26. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Where do we email to get a timing tag if we didn't get it on Sunday? I sent one to the person who let me know I got in and sent me my racer packet, but have not received a reply.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Great photos Andrew!! Thanks man!

28. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Send email to: [email protected]. We'll send out next week

29. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Got a reply to my original email. Thank you

CrazyUncleHarry likes this.
  30. I'm shooting digital so I'm taking a lot more photos than I used to with film, but my wife couldn't understand that I don't look at my shots until after we get home from the trip. Shooting at night I will glance at some just to check settings, but mostly I'd rather wait and be surprised (and sometimes disappointed, but that's part of the suspense :D).

Can an amateur get credentials? My biggest problem this year was fighting through the crowd, I'd love to get on the other side of the fence.