Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The pros and cons of a locked rear from those who have or want to

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Nov 24, 2015.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might be annoying, but that sound is normal for that type of differential.

The Yukon is of the same ilk as a Detroit Locker, a product previously of Tractech, which was bought-out by Eaton.

Incidentally, the Detroit TruTrac is an Eaton product now. It's the Eaton TrueTrac.

loudbang and Texas57 like this.
  2. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

============

What is the noise like? Chatter, click, or something else? Yukon predicts " The use of synthetic oil is allowed but may result in aggressive or noisy operation. "
    https://www.yukongear.com/productdetails.aspx?ProdID=1266

The couple of noisy clutch type LSD's I've been around made a metallic snap when cornering that sounded like big mechanical internal trouble. New lube or a shot of GM additive made a miraculous improvement.

3. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

." We also noticed off-road that the locked rearend was pushing straight despite how we tried to steer the Jeep. This effect is worsened when the Jeep has most of its weight on the rear axle like during climbs or on high-traction surfaces. "
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/1309-testing-lunchbox-lockers-differential-upgrades/

The effect is real, and at times even can happen on-road. I'm guessing with a spool it rarely really goes away.

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

I've been looking at a Ford 8.8 rear end with a Eaton Electric locker best of both worlds

5. Dan...I'll double check the oil I put in and as soon as I find the spec sheet on the unit he put in, I'll make sure it's what Yukon recommends. Thanks for that.
    As far as what kinda noise, hmmm, kinda like desribing a color or smell....Definetly not a clicking or banging or chattering of any sort, more like a steady low rumble until the car is straight..

6. I got the oil changed out to a conventional 80w/90 and an additive as Yukon reccomends. Thanks for the ifo, Dan...appreciated. Not sure if I'll take the car out before adding the rear brakes next week, but I'll post when I find out if it did any good. Acton, Mass is my hometown, btw...left in '69!

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who would ever leave the greater Acton-Boxborough Metroplex?

8. Wow! That was sure a surprise, particularly from a Ca member.
    Answer: anybody looking for work in machine shops after Nixon closed most of Mass. NASA operations down for being the ONLY state not to reelect him.
    PM sent, Gimpy

9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

A Trak-lok is a limited slip not a locker. It needs friction modifier for the clutch packs. WTF is with shops or guys mixing up the two?

A limited slip is NOT a locker!

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. Not sure who, if anyone, was mixing them up, just discussing both. Kinda hard to discuss "pros and cons of a locker" as Beaner's thread title implies without discussing the alternatives.

11. dan griffin

dan griffin

Back in the 50s I ran a locked rear in a stick Olds and 40 with an Olds never had any handling problems.I did twist off a axle in the Olds.Back then we would cruise from one drive-in to the next.When you pull into a drive-in with a cam and locked axle the hoods would set up and take notice.

12. gmhillbilly

gmhillbilly

I ran a welded 12 bolt with 35 inch tires for several years in my 60 model Chevy truck on a 76 four wheel drive chassis. Sure it sqalled the tires a bit when making low speed tight turns, and changed the handling a bit when going through turns at speed, but overall it wasn't bad to drive at all. It certainly wasn't a death trap like some have posted. The only reason I changed it was because I found a 14 bolt/Dana 60 combo that bolted right in with lower gears. A lot of my friends told me when I welded it that it would never work and there was no way I would be able to drive it on the street, but I proved them wrong. I would definitely do it again without hesitation.

13. When I was still in Mexico one of the fellas was running air lockers in both ends. They didn't have electric lockers yet and air lockers was the real deal if you had good cash flow. Talk about a sweet deal you could cruise along in low lock and hit the lockers only when you were in trouble.

Nothing wrong with a little limited slip or open even in a discussion of pros and cons. You can't really compare without something to compare to, can you. ;)

14. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

15. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

The only problem I have seen with spools on the street. Is snapping axle flanges in heavy cars with sticky tires and of course stock axles.