Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The proper way to fill in the roof seams?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Paul F, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Paul F

Paul F

So, I have a functioning ragtop that is assembled within the wood frame. However, the ragtop will not cover all of the roof seams...(see pics). Does anyone know how to “fill in” the seams?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

ford used a lead trim that ran left front around to right front, and a strip across the front...
    don't know if they repop it ?

3. What type of car is this? Is the top supposed to open or is it a Model A type roof?

4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Looks like you came up a little short

5. sheetmetal break + a shrinker/stretcher

Paul F likes this.
  6. Paul F

Paul F

1930 coupe

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Wherever you got that from they did not know how a Model A roof was assembled. It is way too short on the front and sides. I suggest you Google "How to install a Model A roof" and then order the proper material and Hidem welt and start over.

4ever18 and nochop like this.
  8. synchro7

synchro7

I bought a stock replacement kit, followed the instructions. It's tight, looks good and doesn't leak.

9. Oops, some one didn't know what they were doing. Now that top is for a whatzit and you need another top kit for a 30 Coupe. I also think there are many holes there that don't belong.
    The Wizzard

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

11. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Fill the gap and patch the extra holes, all in one smooth move. Yes!!
    The Wizzard

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

I filled in all those holes with weld on my avatar, then filled the gutter/seam with black silicone sealer.It doesnt leak.

13. Enough joking around and making fun of someone who is in deeper water than they thought. http://abarnyard.com/workshop/roofinstall-1.htm, Go there, step by step directions on your application. Send back what you have to whoever you got it from and get your money back.

14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

if they won't let you return the insert you have now maybe your upholsterer can use it for your behind the seat bulkhead and trunk inner panels... $0.02 ….

nochop likes this.
  15. F&J

F&J

He wrote in post #1, "functioning ragtop"... Meaning like old VW bus and bus with the "sliding sunroof"

"ragtop" is VW aircooled slang for a sliding canvas sunroof.

I would be guessing that this was a generic fit repro, not meant to be a direct fit for Model A coupe?

16. oldolds

oldolds

That is what I was thinking when I read it. He just didn't know he had to do some metal fabrication and body work to the car to make it look finished.

17. your going to have to fabricate a perimeter to mount that roof insert in
    a pullmax (stamping machine) or a shrinker/stretcher will have to be used
    looks up flush mount roof inserts for model As and 32s
    this should give you an idea of the work needed