Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Polynesian

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 18, 2009.

1. boldventure

boldventure

I also remember seeing this car featured in one of the "little" mags. The whole build was detailed. The amount of work in the planning alone always impressed me. Maybe they were just lucky that it came out well balanced but not all the other customizers were that lucky...

2. I saw it or a clone in Detroit in '05, and the yellow seats kinda work when it's all lit up in a display, the only thing I do not like about the car was already brought up and this is just nit picking... the tailights

I like the vegetable steamer parts, unique, but not in your face, nice.

I always like to see a car and wonder "How'd they do that?" You know exactly how they made the edge of the taillights...

It's 1/2" conduit/tube and it's a completely flat and has constant radius curves and the rear fender is cut off flat to accomodate it. it looks like it may have been parts of the condensor coil off a 'fridge.

I think something more tapered on the top or bottom, or done with a less perfectly rounded edge, like maybe a slight peak, like the front bumper.

Like I said, nit picking... I wouldn't throw it out of my garage for dripping a little oil.

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

I posted the entire build article (something like 30-40 pages) a while back:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298226&highlight=polynesian+build

That's what twochops was thanking me for. (It took me two days at work to scan it all in between, you know, working and stuff!)
    The whole set of scans is somewhere on Rikster's site, too.

4. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I hate it when work interferes with what I want to do at work.

5. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Here's what it looked like last summer at the Kruse Show in Auburn.

Attached Files:

6. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I think the Polynesian sucks.Id rather have a nosed and decked 50 Olds with a set of caddys and lowered.

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Everytime I see a picture of The Polynesian it makes my back and knees hurt! When you stop and figger that every seam on that build was gas welded, and in some places hammerwelded, as well, than leaded over, that's alot of bending & stupping! No plastic filler in those days, 'cept maybe that "Black-Knight" shit, dried hard as concrete, and sanded about the same!

I'm guessing that Clayton dropped the quarters or "hips" as Tony called 'um, to gain that "speedboat" kinda line to the rear of the vehicle. A stepped up quarter line would draw the eye away from the reduction in mass, the section, through the main of the body.

I wish I could find a client with a large enough wallet that wanted to build a twin.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " It's time for another Tea Party ! "

8. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

One of my favorite cars.As far as I can recall,the clone didn't have a yellow interior.Did it? I saw the clone at the Leadsled Spectacular in Davenport,Ia,in '89.

9. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I was there also, it didn't have a yellow interior, it had a white one as I remember.

B:DB

10. Rikster

Rikster

Correct... I think the colors on the interior where base on the bad color photo reproductions back in the day. On none of the old color photos published in the magazines you could really tell the interior was canary yellow. Only exception was the one magazine cover... but the colors on that one are rather saturated, so my guess is the builders who created the clone thought it was more of a bone/tan color.

Clone interior

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Nevadabob

Nevadabob

John Ballard has a monument at www.polynesian2customcar.com Everybody I have talked with that knew John all say the same thing "he was a good guy with incredible mechanical skills" and a web site of his build Polynesian2 has been erected to pay John tribute for his craftsmanship and the fact he was an asset to the car community. For someone to take on a project of that magnitude with such strict guidlines and pull it off is one of the most incredible stories in car customizing. Even the best of the best would have balked at that build. After his build he drove the car to CA and met Niel Emory and Niel was impressed and gave him his blessing. In my opinion John Ballard was larger than life.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  12. Without a doubt, It's always been my favorite. I find it very difficult to see how this sectioned Olds was hammer-welded without any lead, or any kind of filler, and be so flawless. A very subtle profile, yet so pleasing to the eye. The treatment of the bumper being raised and becoming a part of the grille, is something else!

13. Just saw this car on saturday at the Peterson museum,it had the yellow interior so I assume it was the real one. I appreciate the work and the quality of work that was put in to this car but....... anyone who thinks this blows away or is even close to the same level as the Hirohata is kidding themselves. Not even close, I just saw the Hirohata for 2 hours yesterday and that car is just beyond anything out there.

14. Ballardsdaughter

Ballardsdaughter

John Ballard actually passed on 2/5/2009 and I have spoken to the
    current car owner of the Polynesian II. I think its safe to assume we all are entitled to pick a favorite; but its definitely safe to say that BOTH are amazing works of art and to be appreciated at the highest honor. My father was a legend in his own time. Thank you to everyone that continues to keep his legacy alive.