Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Planets Align & I Buy a '41 Willys Coupe: Can you help track its racing history?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Jun 18, 2012.

1. The real story will be his build thread.
    Congratulations again
    I guess no one is saying sucks to be you :D

2. Weasel

Weasel

Having watched 'the show' - reality TV for wannabe car guys and watching how that POS Rambler was thrown together, thank goodness Brian rescued the Willys....

3. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Brian, post some pics or something so this thread stays on topic please! Everyone loves the car, I don't want to see reality TV get it shut down :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. 3day

3day
    from UK

i don't suppose... nah, probably not but reminded me of your car... uncut hood top, no grille, looks to have accessory headlights?, quarter light side windows, red detailing.... hmmmm?

Attached Files:

5. Tommy R

Tommy R

Soooo glad Brian got this Willys in his possession and away from that d-bag.

Can't wait to see more updates and I hope we can all learn the history of this car one day...

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Welll then you have never talked to an old timer than knew his shit. :eek::eek::eek:

Now go do your intro like a good little newb. :eek:

7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Watched the show--glad you got the Willys--I'm sure you will do it justice-glad those show guys didn't decide to do one of their "quickie" deals on it-would have been a crime. Really like the blown Olds idea like the early SWC cars

8. 1time

1time
    from minnesota

There's a small club out of minneapolis called Gassers Inc, You can find them on the web, Older dudes, maybe one of them will recognize it

9. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Thanks for sharing! saved me from the box man! lolol. I will be watching the build on the HAMB!
    J

10. Glad to see you got the car that you have always wanted. And also glad to see it didn't get the monkey treatment haha.

To me it actually looks like a car that was never finished.

Im sure it will be way cool when its done.

11. richbud

richbud
    from east tenn

Cool to se a car on gas monkey garage end up on the hamb very very cool car!!!

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If the few episodes I happened to watch are any indication, Richard probably paid 24 grand and sold it for 25. He always seems to be saying "I'm fixin to lose my ass on this deal".:eek:

13. biscaynes

biscaynes

good story, can wait for the build .....:cool:

14. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I saw that Willys on the show and thought to myself 'Ive seen that damn thing somewhere before." Later on it pops into my head, "The HAMB!" so I get on line to look for it and a little later I look up when he says "something Bass" Then it clicks! Good job on getting that Willys! I sent the pics to a friend and he made the comment that the car at 25K sold about 10 grand to low for what it is and the shape it was in. My buddy buys cars to flip as well.

15. Is there an online version to watch?

16. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I was at a auction a few years ago and saw a bone stock '40 willy sell for 39k. it was dwn to the floor boards in the ground, had some rust issues... Never saw one before like that, never after. It was in Pa. somewhere, don't quite recall where, probably 8-10 years ago?
    Graet Buy, Can't wait to see what evloves!

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has some type of organized search on the cars history started? Do you think it may have had a magazine feature back in the day? If everyone with a stack of 1960-63 magazines started to flip through a few every night something may turn up. Bob

18. AA/FA 701

AA/FA 701
    from Sonora, CA

Brian, I saw the episode of GM and Ive also been looking for a 40/41 Willeeee's(ha ha) for a long time. I may consider letting my 92 go for the right price. Its been being pieced together for that one car. I have a solid 40 Ford coupe Id consider selling too, thats close but it aint a willys and if you want a willys you know a 40 ford just dont quite cut it!! Anyways its a basically complete deal less a fresh cam n lifters, was a "recent" runner so not in need of much but a freshen up at the machine shop. New Classic Hilborn injection, fresh 871 huffer thats stripped, New Hot Heads intake, new New valve covers, new gear drive, cranks fresh in gringers box and bagged at 010/010, so its all in nice shape. Also factory adj rockers, and stands n shafts r all super nice. Anyways if your interested let me know, if not its not biggie. If you know anyone that might want a solid totally complete 40 deluxe coupe ALL STEEL let me know or readers just ask. Thanks, Brett Hankins

Attached Files:

19. chum731

chum731
    from Katy, Tx

20. rfraze

rfraze

Willeez? or Willis? Here's the answer.

John North Willys was the man behind the car. He pronounced his name "Willis". There was such a common mispronunciation of the name "Willeez", it was decided to market the vehicles under both. Source: Mike Nordahl - Willys Replacement Parts

21. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Never knew that. I've always called 'em Willeez, never heard Willis until watching the show. I kept saying to my TV screen..."it's Will-eez, not Will-iss". I thought it was just a Texas thing. :D

Guess it's 'correct' either way...

22. I'll probably always say 'Willeez' even though I've been educated by folks here on the hamb that it's actually 'Willis'. Ignorance it bliss! :D

Back when the company was building stuff people probably saw it in print and just said it like it looked. There probably wasn't as much audio/video advertisement as there is now.

Same sort of deal. I used to race radio controlled cars. I had a Japanese brand of car; Kyosho. I pronounced it K'i'osho because I'd only seen it in print and never actually heard anyone say it....until I actually talked to a dude at a hobby store who corrected me and pronounced it K'ee'osho.

23. I've always pronounced it Willis as this is the way my Dad pronounced it. Either way I can wait to see how Brian gets this bad boy track worthy again :cool:

24. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

In 75 here in Dallas I worked with a guy that had a Willys exactly like this one. Had drilled everywhere he could. At that time he lived over close to White Rock lake and was getting a divorce. Had to let the car go. I recall he was running a 394 Olds with an Olds rear. Had a single bucket seat and roll cage. Paint was very much like this one, with some blue showing. Can't swear this is the same car but it looks very much like it.

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed

^^ Hopefully we've got a lead!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I watched the show last night. Neat car. Can't wait to see Bass work his magic on it.

27. if that car was from Minn it is doubtfully ever stored here for very long unless in a very climate controlled place .... even any dry storage has the temp changes that attract moisture I will check with some more natives about your car ... I do not remember it
    even the MSRA Linechaser search may help ? I did not remember the ad if some one knows THE MONTH they can reverse search the ad
    the sellers club member number will be listed and get the details......
    I have these issues for the past few months and years just need to know where and when to look

oh by the way you were famous long before this bit on cable tv

28. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

Brian..... I'll pick up my "Bass Kustom" t-shirt (Willys Version) next time we're in Dallas. :D

29. Speed~On

Speed~On

Hey Brian,
    My father raced at Minnesota Dragway. He remains in contact with some of the guys he raced. He is also friends with many old skool hot rodders and drag racers in the twin cities as well as western Minnesota. I will have him look at this thread and have his ask his friends. It's worth a shot...

30. Speed~On

Speed~On

Unfortunately my father does not recognize the car. He is checking with friends.