Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Pierson 36 Legacy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D ROD, Feb 1, 2011.

1. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

I just wanted to take the time out to acknowledge my longtime friend Jim, in his dedication on fulfilling the legacy of the 36 pierson coupe. After spending the week with him at the GNRS-2011, Extensive labor and tireless preparation was taken, prior to this unveiling. It was an honor to be able to participate in such a memorable occasion. This showing was just the next step, in the 36's final chapter to a complete restoration back to its former glory. A special thanks to (prev. owners) Frank Nay & Larry Howes as they were truly inspirational to meet. Also kudos to Jimmy White for completing this rendition on time. I look forward to its final stage of restoration!!![​IMG]

2. skullcracker

skullcracker
    from Austin

The car is amazing. The A.S.S. fellas spent 96 hrs staring at it. It's just phenomenal and Jimmy White is a king. He is one of the coolest guys ever, and incredibly talented.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It's one of my favorite cars ever and I am so glad to get a chance to see it one day. I PM'd Jim to see if me an another friend could come up and see it next weekend since we'll be in Philly for the weekend but he said it won't be back to NJ for a couple weeks. Good thing I'll be back in June for a Wedding!!!

I think I might implode if I get to actually see it. Really cool car, really cool history and shit, it looks great in red as well!!!

4. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Nice writeup D!
    I'm glad to see the guys got the car to the GNRS after all the hard work they did..The car looks great...Looking forward to see it here in NJ and it will be an awesome restoration..
    Kudos to my pal Jim for tracking the car down and preserving this piece of rodding history!.

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

What a great car,.....

6. Curt Six

Curt Six

Doesn't Jon Fisher have the original hood sides on his car?

It's awesome to hear that the car is being restored to it's "original" version!

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

I was thrilled to hear that its getting restored, even cooler is the effort made to un-street rod it in time for the GNRS , great job and I am looking forward to the up coming resto!

8. 15ASedan

15ASedan

Here's the car in 1949 at El Mirage
    Both Dick and Bob Pierson can be seen in the photo:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  9. I've heard the same thing about the hood sides.

10. I must have taken a hundred photos of the car this past weekend. I can even begin to hide my excitement about the fact that it is going to be restored to its former glory!

Congratulations to all around!

11. Curt Six

Curt Six

...wait, and the car now lives in Jersey??? I must have had my head up my ass, but the last I knew it was in CA and it was a street rod. Can someone bring me up to speed? Who bought it? How much needs to be un-done (ie chassis, drivetrain, etc.)? It looks like it's in really beautiful shape...if it took living as a street rod for a few years to preserve it, then good on that street rodder :D

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

In the last few months Jim was able to buy it. If he speaks up he can tell you a little more but I talked to him yesterday and he said it was more or less the stars aligning so that he could get the car.

13. 296ardun

296ardun

I must have had my head up farther...I didn't know what had happened to the 36, heard it was around somewhere, but had no idea it was under restoration.

Also gotta say that you east coast craftsmen are doing outstanding work in restoring west coast-origin cars, can't believe how many great cars are coming back!

14. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

yes jimmy is as well as a kool cat

15. Curt Six

Curt Six

Man, that is so cool. Glad to see the California guys are spreading the wealth a little bit :D

16. One of my all-time favorites! Anything the Pierson Brothers did was the best of the best.
    One of my most treasured memories is spending an afternoon with Bob Pierson during the 2001 Bonneville Speedweek listening to his fascinating stories of what was happening back in those days. Its a shame he's gone now.

Here's a couple more pics of his '36.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Pierson Brothers</td></tr></table>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Pierson Brothers</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  17. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That is cool, it was just in pat Ganahl's book "Lost Hot Rods" in the its street rod version. Being a really current book, there was no mention of it being restored to its earlier version.

18. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Did they put an original chassis back under it?

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

ove that cut-a-way/ drawing. Great stuff there!!!

20. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

That car is amamzing! I was honored to work on it, Thanks Jim! It was cool working on it because a lot of the original stuff was still there. When we went to put the spotlights back on we were able to find the original holes in the A pillar, and the inner structure. Then when we pulled the dash off we found the patched in holes there as well. I was pleased we were able to make the transformation in the short time that we had. We had three other cars that we had to have done for the G.N.R.S.
    Jimmy White

21. One of my favourites. I find myself constantly going back to it for inspiration for my own '36. Its exciting to think that this car will hopefully be restored back to how it it should be. Also interesting is how just a change of stance and wheels/tyres can totally transform a car.

Dilemma: You own the Jon Fisher '36 which has the original Pierson coupe hood sides. Would you give them up to the restoration of the Pierson coupe?

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well if I were fisher I would give them up but if I were Jim (new owner of the Pierson 36) I am not sure I could take them. Fisher's car has been a staple of the style and has garnered it's own following so definitely a tough choice there. I say build new ones for the Pierson and leave the love spread around.

I know if I owned a car and it had a particular part from a historical car that would be my favorite part and I would be extremely sad to see it go.:eek:

23. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in 1948 at Inglewood hi school, ll the car guys would drool at Piersons 3wd coupe as he went by slowly, just to add to the tension of ahhhs!!
    At that time there were 3 white '36 3wnd coupes running around town they were Bob's, Jim McKinley & Joe Torvick.
    They also were regulars at the lakes on weekends.
    Of course my '41 Chev coupe was my own pride & joy then, no money & hand painted the whitewalls every Friday nite before cruising town with tried & true "Pep Boys" varsity white!!----63 years ago!!!:D:D

Attached Files:

24. Lucky444

Lucky444

This car has a lot of soul. It shed enough of it's recent Street Rod incarnation to really shine at the GNRS. Between this and the Calori Coupe, I barely made it into the rest of the show. Glad to see it on the road to recovery!

Amazing.

Attached Files:

25. radio_king

radio_king

Amazing work on restoring this beauty back to what it was.If any of you took photos of it at GNRS,how about posting them on this thread?Please.

Thanks Lucky444,I was two minutes late with my post!!

26. Lucky444

Lucky444

Here's a few more for you.

Attached Files:

27. sinticket

sinticket

Beautiful Car

28. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have that car tattooed on my back.....Looks great in red.

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Now that's a love for an automobile!

30. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Jimmy White did an amazing job on that car in such a short time - all while finishing up 3 other cars for the GNRS !