Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Photoshop thread to end all Photoshop Threads!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pair O' Dice, Oct 10, 2008.

1. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

Thanks buddy! Pardon the impatience!

2. No problem, glad you guys get some value from my feeble attempts. I'm recovering from heart attack/bypass surgery (which is one reason I'm grumpy at times) so this is "therapy" for me! I wish I could figure out color changes, but that's one thing that is eluding me...I leave those for OahuEli and RubenDuran (two guys who really have the talent).

Is that Lincoln what you had in your mind's eye? And, more importantly, are ya gonna build it?

3. If you're working with something that has a good paint job but you want a different color, that can be a fairly easy task.

What software are you using? Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro both have tools named something like "Selective Color" or "Change Hue Saturation and Lightness". I suspect that GIMP has something similar.

In the dialog that opens look for a way to select your "Source" color, the color that you want to change. It might be an eyedropper icon or an eyedropper with a "+" sign. If you use the "+" sign tool you can click multiple times in the image to add lighter and darker shades of the Source color. There might be some sliders that you can move and a small window that shows a sample of your Source color.

Once your source color is selected look for some sliders that control the "Destination" color. Adjust the sliders for Hue, Saturation and Lightness until you get the desired Destination color. You can get good results with this method if you've done a good job of selecting your Source color. The only drawback to this method is that it doesn't work well with white or black as the Source color. There's not enough color information in the Source to make a change to the Destination color.

4. Thanks...I'm using PSP X6 and don't like the results I'm getting with the Color Changer tool (that '32 5-window I changed from green to copper/orange was a happy accident). I'll try your suggestions and see what happens. I also re-downloaded GIMP 2.8.8 today and will start playing with it.

5. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

So I just started figuring out how to photoshop using the GIMP program and here is my first time posting as a "Shopper" and not the "Shopee" on the Photoshop Thread…. :D Hope you Enjoy Steve. -Joel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  6. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Hope you like it.
    After:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

7. nothin'new63

nothin'new63

Wow, I figured it would be difficult to do a full color change since it's spotted and multi colored right now. But it does give me a direction to think on. Definitely thinking about a much darker shade of red now. Lol

Thank you very much for your time mopar Joel

8. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I think I'm starting to get the hang of it now...

[​IMG]

9. daddio211

daddio211

10. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

That's a 58 premier, but same color scheme as the 60 mkV that's coming together in my garage!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I hear ya about "happy accidents". Sometimes I learn something new just by screwing up or messing around. The hard part is remembering what I did. lol

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  12. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Well I have it saved so any changes shouldn't be too difficult to do now that the hard works done. If you want it darker or a different color let me know. Glad you like it.

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yup! Just keep at it. Experience is the best teacher.
    I might re-post the first car I photoshopped a couple of years ago, it was pretty rough but I had fun doing it, and just kept on from there. Its also in my "Photoshop" album.

14. OK, I tried this on a photo of a car with primer and got okay results; I'll also try it on a nice glossy paint scheme. I'll fire up GIMP next and see if I get better/different results. Started with this:
    [​IMG]

And ended up with this:
    [​IMG]

Thoughts? Anyone know how to "de-matte" an image to make it shiny?

15. HA! Boy, I've been there a lot... ;)

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Cool! Looks like you're picking it up pretty quickly. Where the color blends at the angles, you can use your line tool, (if Gimp has one) and draw an edge, using slightly different colors. I maintain a photo archive and often reference those photos to get an idea of what I want. I'll dig up an old photoshop that might explain it better.

17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I did this one a couple of years ago for Koolkemp on his 47 Ford resurrection thread. The lines on the side are all drawn in, including the "mesa" looking grey line in the "background" of the reflection. I made a few mistakes on this one, but overall liked the outcome.The original car was still in primer. Btw, if you want to see some amazing REAL work, check out Koolkemps thread.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

18. Something like this... add a horizon line, some reflections of the ground and a highlight(s) from sunshine.

Check out the old advertising commercial artwork from the fifties and sixties to see how it´s done properly.

[​IMG]

19. Gotcha...something else to play with! This is getting fun. I remember those renderings you did for Koolkemp (especially the white one!) when the debate was going on about the '42 grill. Here's the link to the amazing build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466490

I once had a '80 'Vette in Frost Beige, a subtle and understated color:
    [​IMG]

(I'm not sure why I'm picking on this car...just like it, I guess.)

20. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

Is this sort of what you were looking for? I apologize for the wire wheels....only maroon ones I had in my files. Also gave you a windshield...hope you don't mind ;)

[​IMG]

21. DFW31

DFW31
    from Texas

Can anyone do a quick couple for me?

*the body as is but with wide whites on gold artillery wheels

*the body in black with a mild 2-3" chop with white walls

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. DFW31

DFW31
    from Texas

Forgot the photo ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385241205.302369.jpg

23. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I gave it a shot, I think it does help it...

[​IMG]

It definately has gotten easier just playing around with it for a few hours... I still keep making a bunch of stupid mistakes with it though... I checked out your first photoshop- I guess we weren't too far off in our beginning abilities :)

24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Lol, pretty scary huh?

25. Well I have made a decision to paint my coupe "Hugger Orange"
    I think I'm going to add a hood top and was wondering if anyone could photoshop it in orange with a hood top ??? Thanks in advance.

IMG_1194.JPG

26. Yeah that's it! I just needed to see the car with a little color to get my butt in gear to get it going. Thanks a bunch Ruben! I'm not a fan of wire wheels at all but it looks pretty good! Haha Thanks again!

27. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

Glad I could help ya out there, Ford Mike.....get er done, man!

28. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

WWW's and gold-ish artillery wheels....

[​IMG]

29. [​IMG]

30. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

On it, gimme a few days. If you have a clearer picture it would sure help. Glad to see its still in progress.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013