Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The people we meet.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chris55, Jan 10, 2010.

1. chris55

chris55

Took the family to the Cincinnati Cavalcade of Customs yesterday, what a great show. We saw alot of nice cars, watched the pin stippers, and caught up with some folks we haven't seen in a while. Like I said it was great. (the kids were even being good!)

As we were looking at the cars I spoted a really sweet looking 31 Ford coupe. It had it all, perfect stance, Big Hemi, great wheels, and looked to be the real deal. The closer I got, the better it looked!

As I was about to take a picture, a gentelman walked up and ask, if my son would like to set in the coupe! What? I was blown away. My son is only 6, and I don't think alot of folks would let a 6 year old set in their hot rod.

As I was taking the pictures, the gentelman introduced himself as Dave Orr. The owner, builder, and racer of this awesome coupe. Dave got this coupe in the early 60s as a roller. First it was built as a street car, with an Olds. engine. Which he used to give young ladies a ride, including his future wife. Then as a drag car with the Hemi.

We talked for a long time. I heard stories about how the car came to be, and about the many races and places he and the coupe had been. About his business Orr Automotive, and Orr Auto Body. And about how he was still at it, this time with Top Alcohole dragsters.

As we talked, I found out I was right. The car was the real deal, and so was the man. Sorry for the ramblin, but I just need to say. It is the people we meet, in this lifestyle we have chosen, that truely make it great. Thanks again Dave, for making a great day even better.
    [​IMG]
    Look at that smile.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. storm king

storm king

You are exactly right, it really isn't about the cars in the end. I take exception to what a lot of mis guided young folks say on this site, about this being about taking chances, alternative lifestyle, etc, etc. I fly, ride, and race. I am an adrenaline junky, but in the end, it's about the people, not the things. Right now there's a post about "cars you wouldn't sell for anything" and being "caretakers", and while those things have some merit, I'd ask, if your child or spouse were dying, and you could sell the family heirloom rod to save them, do you keep the car?
    I've had to make those decisions, when my first wife was dyng of cancer, and when the first born of my twin girls was ill and dying. Mazooma was right, don't think so highly of yourself.
    It's one of the reasons why I don't like the whole rockabilly, sleeve tat thing, that didin't exist back in the day, only the character of the people made it special.
    Good lesson to pass on to your son, too.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There's nothing cooler than sharing your joy with someone else. I've done it and it's always a good time. It's even better knowing that at a car show this happened. So many times I've approached owners sitting in thier lawnchairs and they wouldn't take the time to just say thanks when I gave a compliment about the car. They just looked right through me. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens most of the time.

4. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

That kids gonna break his jaw if he smiles any harder. :D

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was nice of Mr. Orr. Glad you and your family had a good time. Boy, that coupe is pretty cool! - Rick

(I don't know why storm king is speaking of other things.)

6. BAREOOT

BAREOOT
    from CALIFORNIA

Thats what this hobby, sport, addiction or what ever you want to call it is all about in the end. Im 62 been doing the hot rods and kustoms since i was 14. If i had a penny for all the kool people i have met and become great friends with i would be a very rich man. But beleive me there are alot if so called car people that dont get it. But i wont change i will just keep cruising and makeing friends.

7. so that doesn't just happen to me apparently.??? i always took it that because i'm female no one wants to 'talk shop' with me. it makes me feel a bit better knowing i'm not alone. For me, i love cars, want to learn and find joy in sharing my restoration project and hearing about someone else's.
    It's really refreshing to hear about what a great experience you had yesterday and maybe it'll start a trend! be nice, we all love the cars is my motto. :)

8. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

The people our special cars bring together don't even have to be hot rodders or even own a special car. Many people just want to talk to you because your car is like one they had in the family and it brings back fond memories. Knowing you've made someone else happy by sharing your ride will be much more special than a dust collecting trophy......... I know it is for me.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you've never let a wide eyed kid that's been walking around slackjawed over your car sit in it and let him make engine noises while he bounces on the seat you've missed the best part of owning a hot rod. Most (but not all) parents will object thinking you are being put out by their kid, I've never let that stop me from opening the door and helping them inside.

Frank

10. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Let me send out a THANK YOU to all of you that let kids sit in your rides.
    I've got a 5 year old and he likes going to car shows with me but he LOVES it when someone lets him sit inside a cool car for a photo.
    You are helping to nurture his love of all things mechanical.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  11. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

This is exactly how I have now became personal friends with Gene Winfield and a few of his partners in crime. It's been quite a few years now, since starting up a conversation, as I'd waited for my wife to run to the ATM to pay for my purchase from him. He'd invited my wife and I (mostly my wife) to go dancing later that night. We always laugh about that night when seeing each other at a show. I've returned the favor out at El Mirage, taking him out on the dirtbikes riding in the hills. We've enjoyed pot luck dinners out there and even snuck in a couple passes in the "Worlds Fastest Motorcoach", of his, on a sunday, before wrapping up camp.

He still retains his normal friend attitude, joking, and sharing his history with me in conversation. I find myself reflecting, at times, how he and I have became friends over a simple purchase at a car show, and how I can actually call an icon, my friend.