Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Pay As You Go Merc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Rikster

Rikster

Still missing... but more info on this HAMB thread by Cruiser

2. Cruiser

Cruiser

** There's more to this story and it will be told at some point this year in a great magazine. I will let HAMBers know when it's published.

CRUISER :cool:

I have to say, "The Rikster" is doing a fantastic job on these HAMB cars of the past. What would customs be without his unbelievable archives of custom photographs and knowledge. And thanks to Ryan for posting Dave Boogie Bugarin's cool Merc.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. Back in the 70's and in my teens i knew of the Hirohata merc but at time i was into 33/34 Fords but when i saw some photos of Miss San Pedro i was hooked to have me a merc. Not to take away from the Hirohata merc but there was some body mod to miss pedro that just did it for me. Those Buick headlights, a smoother 49/50 hood treatment, that swoopy side stainless combined with that hardtop chop.

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Harry Bentley Bradley is a genius.

5. Maybe so but surely not when he does his second
    look at famous customs.Hightech modern cars are there own style and dont need to be incorperated with an original custom from back in the day.

6. Thanks for that typo 41.Well please see if he will talk more about it.There have been a small handful of us who have been following and keeping up with the threads of this great custom.This thread has probably gotten the most response of any Bugarin thread yet.Most of the other threads just fall to the bottom pretty quick but somehow this one seems different.Anyway thanks again for the bit of history.

7. LOL totally agree Jeff. When I first read the article in Custom Rodder back in the day I was kind of surprised/pissed that he would attack someones car like he did.

I think some of it just has to be written off to the whole vibe in the late 90's towards customs especially traditional ones.

8. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Would love to see pics of the car while the young man was working on it before the lead got to his eyes, hopefully he took some?????

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

WOW! 35K, I heard it sold cheap, but that couldn't have covered the build sheet in 2008!

" Meanwhyle, back onboard The Tainted Pork ''

10. ^^^^ So Cruiser,that isn't the whole truth? Part of the truth,maybe a little? You can't give us any clues or anything as far as if the car was crushed or not? You are teasing us real bad.

11. Cruiser

Cruiser

12. I am aware of the pictures but not of the car's existence ?

13. Cruiser

Cruiser

JeffSled you'll have to understand theirs a magazine article coming soon to reveal all I've found out about the Merc. I have a understanding with the editor to provide him with a good article, revealing too much now would undermine the article. The tease is not intentional, in radio you would call it a segue.

CRUISER :cool:

14. ^^ Cruiser I know you can't say anything and I totally respect that.I was just playing around and being kind of selfish,sorry.I just really really dig Miss San Pedro and I am dying to know.I have done some research myself but nowhere as deep as you have done.I was just hoping for maybe a little hint. :) Well I must say that your "Segue" has really worked. Thanks for your hardwork in doing the research of this great Mercury.Im sure D.J. is very grateful.

15. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Always loved the "Bugarin Merc" ! I did a thread on this a few months ago, and I'm so glad that Ryan posted this great thread so that all could see how cool this car really was !

The car has been an iconic kustom since its build, and when George, John D'Agostino & I got together a couple of years back in Salina I wanted George to give me some of the story on it.

Here's a direct link to George's "Bugarin" story, his take on doing each Merc different than the rest, and a short bit about his working with customers...like Sonny & Cher:
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage154.html

Have a GREAT weekend !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

16. shiftervic

shiftervic
    from So. Cal.

What's the latest on this story...

17. codeblu

codeblu

If I understand correctly...the car is in Ohio...and has been modified so far from it's "BARRIS" look that returning back would be rather difficult and costly. It's always been my favorite Barris Merc.