Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Painting at home in the driveway or garage thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

Now were talking, this is the stuff I hoped would be in this great thread.
    Can you give more detail on how this was done?
    Is this a custom process you developed?

2. I just used the plastic masking sheet-when opened up it's 12 feet wide-I put the 'paint this side' to the inside.
    I stapled it to the ceiling and taped it to the floor to create 'the booth' inside the garage-furnace filters under the big door filter incoming air-furnace filters on the back door keep particulates in and allow cross-ventilation with an exhaust fan.
    Tape the car to the floor to keep the belly clean from over-spray
    Just before spray time-wet the floor down(dont splash water on anything you are painting)

Attached Files:

3. ned5049

ned5049

4. birdman1

birdman1

my nephew is painting my 1939 Ford Deluxe coupe this weekend. In my garage, using Finish1 acrylic enamel. Today I am cleaning the shop, got to keep the dust down. I cannot be around any type of paint anymore(I am 68) years old. So I demand that he uses the proper respirator when painting and a dust mask when sanding. It is NO fun having COPD. Protest your lungs.

5. fms427

fms427

Driveway ...... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411136508.552189.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411136526.587111.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

AHotRod, Ulu, 64gtoguy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Don't it make your brown eyes...blue... (Crystal Gayle)

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I can see the cough cough part :)

8. Is that one of those " can you find how many things are wrong in this picture?" pictures ?

I don't want to be responsible for taking the thread off on a tangent ,,,

But I can't look at that and say nothing.
    So ill just resign from this one.

9. Well Larry, we now have the opposite extreme of the safely painting at home vein on your thread.:eek:

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Very true :D

11. cavman

cavman

Did your pants legs stick together, and could you get a comb through your locks?
    Don't ask why I wondered why......

12. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

What? That's one of the first lessons I learned from being married.
    Close yer eyes half way and say nothing.

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

When was this pic taken, 1972? Finish the car and drive directly to the cancer ward.

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

2 out of 6 realized the gist of my post-obviously it was meant to be taken in the "wrong way to do things" approach to proper painting techniques, mixed with my warped sense of humor.My apologies to the OP if your thread got temporarily de-railed.Gentlemen, back to business; I shall go to my room and restrict use of the HAMB for one week. Me bad.

IowaMercMan and Special Ed like this.
  15. Mike - I wish you would have left that photo on here. It was a-freekin-mazing! I've about exceeded my post limit on this thread, but to get it back on track......... image.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  16. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

LOL

You know it's time to toss your respirator when you mustache is frosted turquoise...
    (I did my boat in turquoise urethane.)

BTW, I'm going to convert mine to an air fed system. A fan, a filter, a box, & some duct tape should do the trick.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Any more pictures and painting stories ?, this is good :)

18. cavman

cavman

Any old timers (or anyone else) ever hear the term "hot paint" and actually do it? I used to work with a guy that loved to paint old VW's that way. Damn near died doing it.

19. loudbang

loudbang

Yep we used to heat enamel on an old hot plate when it was real cold out and maybe in the 60's in the booth. Never heard anything bad about doing it 40 years ago. :rolleyes:

20. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

I painted these in a garage also did an ot car ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411278424.217647.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411278480.968833.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411278538.433666.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. bathcollector

bathcollector

I painted the cab of my F100 in the driveway, turned out fine.[​IMG]

22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

My dad had an old "Speed-Air" I think, compressor. He had painted houses back in the early 50's. In the early 70's my best bud and I mounted that thing to a push lawnmower and painted about a dozen cars for our friends. The hose was short so he would push the mower...er compressor around the car following me while I shot it. Only one car gave me problems [fish eye] but the rest came out pretty good. My Dad was cool about things like that. He would let me at least try anything car related that I wanted to do.

23. cavman

cavman

This guy tilted the full gallon can to pour it. Never took it off the hot plate, fumes must have caught fire...traveled up the can, the top of the can was now in flames, he got scared and knocked the full can over, it splashed on him....I had to replace him after that.
    Hot paint sure leveled out nicely....and we never thinned it.

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  24. jazz1

jazz1

I paint my own vehicles and found the kitchen hand mixer excellent for stirring up a gallon of paint with a inch of pearl settled on the bottom. Don't try to bring mixer back into the kitchen,,paint stains the plastic.
    [​IMG]

alanp561 likes this.
  25. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

LOL I can't imagine explaining to my wife why there is flake in her smoothie.

BTW, when I mix a can of paint like that (with my drill motor ;) ) I put it inside an empty 5 gal bucket.
    I sneezed once while mixing da-glo orange, and the mess I made was epic.

alanp561 and Wraith like this.
  26. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I never heard of heating paint like that by the gallon, but I've heated lots of rattle cans and metal parts, painting in the winter. I never painted a car in the winter though.

But, if I'm shooting hammer-tone or wrinkle paint or spatter paint--anything like that that has texture--I always get the metal parts hot before I spray them. Sometimes, the kitchen oven is used, but I've made lots of impromptu furnaces from a box and a heat gun. Anyhow textured paints seem to "rise" much better when the metal is hot.

27. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I painted my 56 ford victoria dash in my garage.BC/CC HOK cinder red and HOK clear.I have just finished the deck lid also but no pics yet. Used a Astro pneumatic gun for primer 1.9 tip and my base clears gun is a Deviilbiss GFG-670 RP.You can see pics in my profile.