Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Painting at home in the driveway or garage thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Sep 15, 2014.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Latest "garage" finish and a few others. I make a "booth" at home with some surplus white shrink wrap for boats. I can't show the whole yellow car as it's way O/T, but the Ruxton was essentially a "garage" refinish. No booth at the shop where it was painted. All of my latest woodgrain jobs were done in the garage too. 021.jpg 033.jpg rxtn.jpg 0227141917.jpg 0226142113a.jpg

Gasser 57 likes this.
  2. stimpy

stimpy

many moons ago I painted my VW in the driveway ( gravel wetted down ) with enamel and was doing good till the neighbor decided to mow his grass later in the day .. the whole passenger side had blades stuck to it for several months till it hard cured and I could cut and buff it . wore a 3m chemical mask with particulate filters then as I do when I worked and when I painted at the shop .

alanp561 likes this.
  3. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a SAS full face mask and fresh air system in the '80s after becoming ill from spraying acrylic enamel catalyzed with a charcoal mask. In BC/CC the BC is less hazardous, but the CC is catalyzed urethane and very toxic. BTW, I found HVAC guns reduce the amount of materials used and improve visibility in a closed space. I have struggled in getting the finish I want, but that's just me.

4. 30dodge54

30dodge54

I have painted all my vehicles in front of my shop ,not perfect,but nether am I
    These are drivers ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411046621.500151.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I know you should always were a good respirator but my questions is out of all the different types of paint you can buy to paint a car in your driveway which one in your opinion might be safer and better for your health.

Just wondering. Thanks Jimbo

6. Anything without Iso's in them are safer, not safe but safer. You still need to wear proper protection when spraying any paint material. Lacquers and Enamels will both be safer to spray at home. It is one of the resaons I am choosing to spray my truck in lacquer. The others being it is more forgiving in a garage environment and I want the look of a lacquer paint job.

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

K13

Where are you purchasing Lacquer paint in the USA?

Jimbo

8. Haha long convoluted story but essentially I am getting it from Manuel Reyes who is the guy that painted the "California Kid". There are however a few sources in the U.S. TCP Global, Hibernia Auto Restorations, Paint for Cars. If you just google Automotive lacquer paint a few come up.

9. stimpy

stimpy

as for resperators you have to use the chart they give you with them and find out what chemicals are in the paint then choose the cartridge ( some paint suppliers have the cartridge specs listed ) , you will find out one chemical cartridge might cover one but not another ( they do make multi chemical type cartridges ) . and always use a particulate filter before the cartridge as the paint mist and overspray dust will coat the chemical filter and make it useless , and once used/opened package the cartridge has a shelf life .so if you do not intend to use it for 3- 6 months remove it and throw it away and buy some new ones and keep them in reserve .

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

^^^^ There are no canister type filters that are safe to use for catalyzed paints containing isocyanates.
    The only safe way to go is with a supplied air respirator.

11. This is not true. The reason fresh air supplied respirators are recommended is because there is zero chance of the filters becoming saturated and no longer working. This is right from 3M.

The issue with use of air purifying respirators is (i.e. filter cartridge style)
    that they will reach a point at which the filter becomes saturated and will no longer
    capture the isocyanate or other solvents. When that filter breakthrough happens, an
    overexposure can occur, potentially causing an irreversible sensitization. Use of a
    supplied air system removes this filter change factor - it does not rely on the painter
    changing his gas/vapour filters at appropriate intervals.

Hank37 likes this.
  12. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Painted my 31 in my Dad's garage back in 1986 with acrylic lacquer. It's held up good through the years, has chips, etc. Bought an air supplied respirator system back in the 90's used it with bc/cc and for sandblasting, it's a worthwhile investment as you only have one set of lungs.

Attached Files:

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That statement adds to my statement true or not and reinforces that the safest and best choice is a supplied air respirator.

So in essence I was correct :D

Hank37 likes this.
  14. image.jpg

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Notice it says in accordance with change out schedule.
    That is the problem, most guys will not follow that schedule. The old chain is as strong as the weakest link thing.
    Don't change filter canisters and they are useless.
    Store them improperly and they are useless.
    I'd rather use the supplied air system and be done with it.
    What could be better than a nice steady flow of clean cool air on your face when you are all wrapped up from head to toe in a plastic suit ? :D

I've done plenty of "on the bottle" work with a supplied air respirator system on industrial jobs where H2S was present and believe me it is the way to go.

16. stimpy

stimpy

there is , but the manufacturers will not recommend it for the non professionally trained as it has special schedules for usage per NOISH .( went thru the 3m respirator training class and half of the guys were bodymen) as a poor fitting respirator or a used up filter is about is as bad as not wearing one .and if you paint all the time a pressurized air system would be cheaper than buying and stocking up on cartridges.

17. If someone can't follow a change out schedule, they shouldn't be buying paint and Darwin can have his way.

Guess what happens if your "hobby air" unit ends up downwind of your exhaust fan because the breeze shifted?

And lets not forget, driveway painters aren't doing it every day.

18. stimpy

stimpy

hauled TDI, MDI, HDI and our schedule was every 2nd load ( 8 hours) replace them , often at paint/wire /foam plants they would supply us with new cartridges as we had to stay near the truck during unloading and the vapors pour out of the manhole as the product is heated to near flash point for transport so it will pump off easier . only one plant had a PP suit for me to wear and it was a PITA as you trip on the hose or get snagged on something .

as for the hobby air guys they should have more than a dust filter on the intake of the pump , I know the one my friend has does but its a professional unit and they expect a little cross contamination even with a paint booth and the pump being outside of it .

19. So of your supplied air unit has a filter also it has a change out schedule. If its expecting contamination then it has an ISO filter with a larger expense and a faster change out schedule.

The one I pictured costs about 20.00 when you catch them on sale. The change out is 40 hours out of the bag or if breathing gets difficult which ever comes first.

The main problem with this iso shit and respirators is proper fitment. It takes all of 5 mins to teach someone this but without that training you can really fuck yourself up.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

My air supply unit is a professional one. In my old house I had my unit in the basement of the house, I put a sleeve through the wall for the hose. The hose was long enough to reach entirely around a car in my detached garage.

21. This thread was a good idea but seems to be veering off course a bit. If the intent was to showcase, help or encourage guys to paint their cars at home then accurate information is what is needed and even if one feels that a clean air respirator is the only way THEY fell safe painting to say it is the only safe way to paint at home simply isn't true and does nothing to help foster an accurate dialogue about the subject. Lets be honest most home painters are not going to spring for a fresh air respirator and if they do and are not smart enough to replace cartridges in a respirator are they going to be smart enough to use the unit so it is not doing more harm that good?

Bulletnose26 likes this.
  22. stimpy

stimpy

yep it had a schedule all the filters and the oil/HC trap had to be cleaned . otherwise he would complain about the nasty taste it left in his mouth , the filter when it wasn't being used was put in a zip lock bag that was vacuumed out .

23. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I had a street sweeper come by right after I primered a truck. I found out the sweeping schedule before I top coated it!!!
    Best advice I have is to find a knowledgable automotive paint supplier and follow thier recomendations for materials and safety equipment.
    Tell them what you are doing and a good supplier should be able to walk you through the process. Mosts paints are a complete system and recommend that you use all one vendor's products from primer to top coat. A good counterman will save you big bucks , as he knows where you can use a cheaper product and where you can't.
    ( Thanks to Barret Paint, Reno Nevada)
    I went with Acylic Enamel becaue of my lack of experiance, equipment and safety gear. I used a disposable respirator.....

24. stimpy

stimpy

2 stage paints are not something you want to shoot in a garage connected to a house or near a house as you can make the people in it sick just from the vapors , and I do not mean a little nausus , I mean permanent lung scaring damage or skin problems . and sensitivity to the stuff . and ISO is not just used in paints , its used in making plastics , wire cover , paint and foams and rubbers used around the house , and you develop a sensitivity to it just touching the finished product can set off reactions to it .

Hank37 likes this.
  25. So, now that everybody has had a lesson on safety...anymore pics of cars shot at home in the driveway?

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I agree, this thread, ( my thread actually ;) ) has gone way off track. Sure I contributed to that. :)
    However I still feel that I will be able to safely spray the SS urethane I plan to use in my home garage and believe me I will ensure that my Hobby Air breathing system has upgraded and properly maintained filters and will not be in a location to pick up nasty stuff for me to breathe.
    I won't be the first to spray 2 part paints at home and won't be the last. :)

Let's get back to the way this thread started and show some more of your work and tell us how and where you did it.
    Larry

27. Custom paint in my plastic sheeted booth. Its just a junkyard fender with minimal prep. The method and material is a little unorthodox so this fender stays outside 24/7 and been there for over a year receiving no attention testing its durability.

Black as black can be
    image.jpg

Until the bright light hits it then it pops candy apple red.
    image.jpg

Out side at sun rise
    image.jpg
    About 11:00
    image.jpg

alanp561, rbrewer, brEad and 2 others like this.
  28. REBEL

REBEL

I put brand new tarp on floor.

Run two cables across shop with turn buckles.

Cover top and hang plastic to floor.
    I like positive booth pressure. Two box fans blowing fresh air in thru sticky filters.
    This pushes air out of plastic bag booth and not drawing dirty air in like if fans sucked air out of bag booth pp68.jpg .

Black SSR job was clean and will do same with 57 Bel-Air this spring.

29. REBEL

REBEL

30. 30dodge54

30dodge54

I like the idea of portable paint booth, car looks great

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!