Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Painting at home in the driveway or garage thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard

I live in California on the border of LA and Orange Counties. I didn't think it got worse than here, but it sounds rough where you're at! Pretty much every body paints houses with a sprayer out here, do they let you do that? I've painted all kinds of stuff in the driveway, no problems so far.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

3. pitman

pitman

George, cover every part of yourself. Get positive air setup. I added more to Chip's "ugly" thread.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Pitman, theres no two ways about it, this shit is scary stuff.

5. brad2v

brad2v

Great thread, I plan to paint my Dart wagon at home.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

with the BC/CC I think a lot of guys on here are oblivious to the fact that you will absorb through your skin, its not just inhaling the air-borne mist you have to worry about. This shit is dangerous stuff, far more dangerous than the acrylic lacquer a lot of us have been shooting for decades. Honestly, those pics that Ed posted?? Wouldn't catch me shooting BC/CC like that on a bet!

7. cavman

cavman

We all learn eventually. I was the head painter in a large truck body shop in my younger days. Lacquer is one thing, but this newer stuff is BAADD for your health without the proper safety precautions. I quit spraying later in life when my lungs got bad, (and I always used a respirator) paint fumes, along with agent orange from 'nam has 'bout done me in. I loved to paint, but it made sense for me to do something different.

alanp561 likes this.
  8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Merc.

[​IMG]

Done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut and buffed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will NEVER, NEVER, EVER do another shiny car. NEVER.

But it is OK if you do...

-Abone.

9. 1.jpg I've painted one car (truck) in my driveway maybe 30 years ago. It turned out great but since then I've always had access to a shop and booth. My Chrome Yellow 40 Chev. pick-up came out pretty good for a driveway job. Centari acrilic enamel single stage.

Gasser 57 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Have mercy! What colour is that??
    [​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Wow,some nice work on this thread.
    I did my own also,pretty much same way I've been doing it for many years,at home in the back yard. 1462906_634501409926311_188278128_n.jpgsmall.jpg rearView1.jpg

12. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

14. These are from the 80's. I guess I thought dust masks made good respirators. The gallon of brown primer was free but it stayed glossy, yuk! Had to scotch brite it to make it look OK.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few years later some body work and grey primer before the white that was sprayed in a booth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alanp561, rbrewer, Gasser 57 and 4 others like this.
  15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

My brother did tge roof on his 63 in the driveway.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

rbrewer and brEad like this.
  16. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

Just painted the top of my 59 in my garage 4 days ago. Metallic base with flake ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410923893.077938.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410923904.577720.jpg

17. That's 2600 Tanner, @ 3000 yer a Pro I hear

18. [​IMG]Painted the Chevy in my shop. Clean, clean, and clean some more! Something that really helped was that I took my shop vac, put the hose on the output side. Used it to blow every spider web, bug, bottle cap etc out of every corner, floor to ceiling. Amazing how much crap went out the door. Going to do the house next. Also kept the floor wet during the paint job.
    Used fans, sheet plastic and furnace filters as others have stated.
    Falcongeorge, can't say I blame ya for swearing off shine! Your hard work shows.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I sure wouldn't be ashamed to say I painted that merc, but it wasnt me, it was FlamedAbone. I just asked him what the eggplant purple on the merc was.

20. I used a leaf blower to dust out the shop and a fan in the window. Works fine for me. Complete job inside and out done at home.
    Must be doing something wrong. Won't let me up load photo's.

Bulletnose26 likes this.
  21. 58cchevy

58cchevy

unnamed.jpg !cid_ii_142249370f97397f.jpg all of this build was done in my barber shop back room. Paint and primer was sprayed with an old sharp 75 gun.

22. I think I found the photo link.

Attached Files:

23. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

image.jpg Pancake compressor, Harbor Freight cheap gun for primer, a very old Binks #7 for base and clear.

rbrewer, PONTNAK123 and Ulu like this.
  24. Here's a finished shot with my favorite Girl.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

25. image.jpg image.jpg Nothing like an action shot of me priming the cab. And one of my favorite photo's of the assembly.

little red 50 and Gasser 57 like this.
  26. slammed

slammed

27. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Good points on the thread Slammed suggested, it can be done well but be careful.
    here is my at home paint job
    [​IMG]

28. One other thing to mention is the fire / explosion factor - which can also lead to immediate health problems and property damage. Atomized flammable liquids and sparks from an air compressor motor turning on, could really mess up that new paint job. I don't even want to talk about removing the old paint at home.......

29. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

What a great thread, going through the process now, acrylic on everything, no nasty 2 pack. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411038260.024221.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411038339.463006.jpg

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  30. scott51

scott51

Glad to see at least one other person pointed this out, it's not just your lungs that absorb chemicals - eyes, exposed skin, hair all soak that shit up.

For me it's a fresh tyvek suit with hood, gloves, goggles and quality mask as the minimum. If it's a big job I'll put barrier cream on any exposed skin and have a shower when I'm done. Recently scored a full face mask but really should be using a fresh air supply with isocyanates. If you're using charcoal type filters make sure you get the right ones, change them frequently and store in a sealed freezer bag or tupperware container when not in use.

Think I'm paranoid? read the manufacturers sheets and talk to the guys that do this for a living, all of that comes straight from the MSDS sheets.

Lots of tricks for getting a good finish, in the garage or driveway, many of which have already been mentioned. Clean your space really well, wet down the area, ground the piece you're painting with a length of chain or something if you can etc. and yeah one more vote for HLVP with a turbine. I was first taught how to spray with one and couldn't believe how much more material I used when switching to a conventional compressor/gun setup and how much of it ended up floating in the air around me.