Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Painting at home in the driveway or garage thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks really good... What kind of paint did you use? Also, what type of spray gun / cup did you use?

loudbang and 32SEDAN like this.
  2. "Wally"

"Wally"

Bought this from the Green Bay F.D. Flew there, picked it up, and drove it back to Montana. Tore it apart in front of my house with a sawzall and an angle grinder. Reskinned it in aluminum panels and flat bedded it to haul my LSR roadster. Then shot it with epoxy primer, and finally painted it, with single stage, as well in the street, on 2 really calm mornings. Hard to find a big enough booth! P1080839.JPG

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  3. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I used Nason epoxy primer, followed by Tamco 5310 High Build..... color is Sherwin William Dimension Single Stage Enamel.....

My good paint gun is at the farm and I kept forgetting to bring it back with me, so I shot all of the paint on this with a cheap HF purple HVLP gun...... $15 on sale. I had been told that they shoot good, and it did. I don't think I could have done any better with a $1000 gun. A real painter probably could but not me. I also used the T-cup disposable cup system from Tamco...... the adapter cost twice what the gun cost:D and I can't say enough good about it. I used one gun for primer and drilled out the tip for the thicker primer, I splurged and broke out a new $15 gun for the color:D.

wicarnut, mcsfabrication and loudbang like this.
  4. blackelky

blackelky
    from Texas

I painted my 32 in a garage with a dirt floor in 1966. Just put down cardboard, hosed it down and got after it- didn’t have a clue. Repainted the rear fenders and trunk lid in 1995. The upholstery was done in 1966 or 67 by Vernon McKean. No upholstery in trunk because we could not afford it. I painted the Chevelle in our front yard in Ponca City, OK in 1992. I had it in pieces. Lots of trouble with wind and dirt. Both are DuPont Marina blue lacquer. Both are pretty shabby now but don’t look terrible from more than 50 feet if your eyes aren’t too good. 84C43E6B-7A02-4003-A518-2A414920AC0A.jpeg 23020289-3E23-4092-8EEE-20C524DE30DE.jpeg The pictures were taken about 3 years ago.

Ford52PU, LAROKE, cvstl and 6 others like this.
  5. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I talked to Bill Hines several years ago & he gave me the idea to put wet newspapers on the floor before you paint. I did it and it works... It keeps the dust down & makes clean up a breeze!

loudbang, Blues4U and Algoma56 like this.
  6. I made a booth in my shop with filtered intake and exhaust. Never painted before. This was my first one and I was using a 3M accuspray gun with a 1.3mm tip. Valspar BC/CC. Hardly any orange peel and 1 minor run.
    Pre cut and buff
    IMG_2923.JPG
    IMG_2936.JPG

After Cut and Buff
    20190110_121111.jpg

My new project is a 52 F1 which I plan to do the same way. Cheers

Ford52PU, JOYFLEA, LAROKE and 15 others like this.
  7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Got to be proud of that allout.

loudbang and Allout like this.
  8. Thanks Okie, I am very happy with the way it turned out.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I wish I'd thought of that when I did my boat.
    I had turquoise paint on my driveway for about . . . well . . . at least until we sold that house.

loudbang likes this.